Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Unfortunately, because your knee is still healing, the ortho may want you to wait for the knee to heal up before tackling the opposite hip. I think that would likely be wise. It took me a long time to accept the fact that I won't be running for quite a while. But I realized that I want to run again, and if that means many months of not running, so be it. Because the important thing is that I will be running again. Dammit. lol

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

cpresson

You may be right. I'm still hoping for best case scenario: cortisone in both knee and hip and then back to running in a week or two Smile I can dream, right? Well, at least for today...

cpresson

Well, dang. One definite labral tear and another suspected one. I meet with the surgeon next Monday to schedule the surgery :'( My body hates me; this will be surgery #7 in a little over a year and a half.

Hip Redux

Oh, I'm sorry Sad  did he say any thing about the knee?

Well, dang. One definite labral tear and another suspected one. I meet with the surgeon next Monday to schedule the surgery :'( My body hates me; this will be surgery #7 in a little over a year and a half.

cpresson

Not related to the surgery but he did give me a cortisone injection in the knee, which will hopefully calm down the swelling...

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Oh man, I'm sorry. If it's any consolation, you will not suffer alone. You have me! Mine is next week and I'm starting to get freaked out a bit. I haven't had surgery since 4th grade when I had a tonsillectomy.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My one year anniversary is coming up next week -- hang in there, new folks!  It gets so much better.  You're at the worst part.  Soon you'll get to heal!

I just completed a 22K trail race over the weekend.  I can't say I was 100% pain free, but the pain was minimal and I had a great time.

Running is dumb.

cpresson

Oh man, I'm sorry. If it's any consolation, you will not suffer alone. You have me! Mine is next week and I'm starting to get freaked out a bit. I haven't had surgery since 4th grade when I had a tonsillectomy.

I am glad we will be able to share our suffering. I'm hoping the surgery won't be too far out so we'll be on a similar timeline. The bad thing for me is that I only have 9 PT visits left for the year because I've used some up for my knee, so that may make things interesting, especially if they have to do repair on either one of the tears instead of just debridement.

Don't worry too much about the surgery itself--that seems always to me to be the easy part. They stick that needle in your arm, maybe give you a nerve block (hopefully), give you oxygen, and not too long (it seems) after they start pumping the happy juice in, you're trying to wake up in recovery. Then the hard work starts.

cpresson

My one year anniversary is coming up next week -- hang in there, new folks!  It gets so much better.  You're at the worst part.  Soon you'll get to heal!

I just completed a 22K trail race over the weekend.  I can't say I was 100% pain free, but the pain was minimal and I had a great time.

This is such encouraging news! I'm so glad for you Smile

cpresson

stfuandrun, how are you dealing with your pain level at this point? I'm having quite a bit of pain now and trying not to take the heavy stuff, but meloxicam doesn't seem to help much at all Sad I need to find something that helps but doesn't interfere with work or driving.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I pretty much suffer with Aleve and Ibuprofen until I finish work, then I take a percocet. Then I usually take another one before bed because the pain wakes me up at night (last night I woke up 5 times and only slept 3 hours, I'm about to take an overdue nap now that I am home from work). I am so over the pain. It's making me crazy.

Hip Redux

I'm sorry you guys are in such pain Sad  Ice can help, as can some traction.  My therapist did some capsule stretching/traction and it was the most amazing feeling ever.  Sort of looked like this:

Not sure if you have a PT, but this is worth a shot if so.

cpresson

I pretty much suffer with Aleve and Ibuprofen until I finish work, then I take a percocet. Then I usually take another one before bed because the pain wakes me up at night (last night I woke up 5 times and only slept 3 hours, I'm about to take an overdue nap now that I am home from work). I am so over the pain. It's making me crazy.

That sounds pretty similar to what I am doing. Next week will bring another level of pain for you, but it will be different because you'll be in recovery. I'm having a hard time with the pain and ache, especially when I have to sit through long meetings (like yesterday). I am a business systems analyst and was pretty much in meetings all day yesterday. I had to stand up from time to time for some minor relief because sitting too long is impossible. I can't wait to get a surgery date on Monday! Smile

cpresson

I'm sorry you guys are in such pain Sad  Ice can help, as can some traction.  My therapist did some capsule stretching/traction and it was the most amazing feeling ever.  Sort of looked like this:

Not sure if you have a PT, but this is worth a shot if so.

Ice does help dull the pain some. But I only have 9 PT visits left for the year since I used up the others for my knee already, so I can't see my PT again until after surgery Sad

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

That sounds pretty similar to what I am doing. Next week will bring another level of pain for you, but it will be different because you'll be in recovery. I'm having a hard time with the pain and ache, especially when I have to sit through long meetings (like yesterday). I am a business systems analyst and was pretty much in meetings all day yesterday. I had to stand up from time to time for some minor relief because sitting too long is impossible. I can't wait to get a surgery date on Monday! Smile

Sitting is brutal. I am a home health nurse so I drive all day and by the end of the day, I am in so much pain. I have two days of work left before my leave starts, which is weird to me. I have never taken a leave of absence from work. It's freaking me out. lol