Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Thanks! Surgery is over & I just got home. The doc shaved down the femoral head and stitched up the tear, I guess instead of using tacks. I'll probably know more after my post-op appointment in a week, but there's a little pain around the surgical portals. I was a little sick on my way home, so I was grateful for the barf bag they gave me. I think I'll take a nap until I can take more pain meds--lol.

Glad to hear it was a success! How is your pain? I noticed right away that my pre-op pain was gone, which was wonderful.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

cpresson

The pain I feel seems to be around the incision sites so that is a definite difference. I'm using my handy Ossur cold therapy machine now to help with that & the swelling, so I am happy so far...

Dmlc

cpresson, are you ready? Just a couple of days, right?

Dmlc, how are you feeling?

I'm doing good, thanks! How's recovery going for you ? Are you back at work yet ? I think I'm making progress at physical therapy but I'm still on crutches unfortunately. I test myself here and there taking steps without my crutches and it doesn't feel too bad but I still have a really bad limp which will hurt my si joint if I keep doing it. I'm really curious on when I will be able to go back to work. My surgeon told me I can go back whenever I feel ready, I just wish I had an idea. When I saw another dr for a second opinion before my surgery he told me plan on being off for three months since my job is physically demanding. So that's how long I told my work but I can't imagine it taking that long. So i guess I'll just have to see what happens. Hope everyone is doing well!

cpresson

So I definitely have groin pain & of the 4 exercises the doc gave me to do 3x/day, log rolls are the hardest/most painful. Still, I'm trying to wean off the pain meds by waiting a little longer before the next dose.

BTW, did anyone here have bad piriformis pain before the obvious hip pain showed up? Just remembering all the stretching and rolling I had to do for piriformis pain every time I ramped up my running mileage the last couple of years. I'm wondering if that was a first sign...

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I'm doing good, thanks! How's recovery going for you ? Are you back at work yet ? I think I'm making progress at physical therapy but I'm still on crutches unfortunately. I test myself here and there taking steps without my crutches and it doesn't feel too bad but I still have a really bad limp which will hurt my si joint if I keep doing it. I'm really curious on when I will be able to go back to work. My surgeon told me I can go back whenever I feel ready, I just wish I had an idea. When I saw another dr for a second opinion before my surgery he told me plan on being off for three months since my job is physically demanding. So that's how long I told my work but I can't imagine it taking that long. So i guess I'll just have to see what happens. Hope everyone is doing well!

It's going okay, just some hip flexor soreness. Trying to keep it in check so I don't end up with tendonitis. I am working 4 hours a day 5 days a week in the office. Normally, I drive to patient's homes and do nurse stuff but the doc doesn't want me to do that yet. I'm hoping he clears me on 5/18 for my old duties because the office is so boring.

MTA: I was off crutches in like 9 days. The doctor told me to use them if I felt like I needed it but I was walking well at about 9 days. I was weight bearing as tolerated on day one, though.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

So I definitely have groin pain & of the 4 exercises the doc gave me to do 3x/day, log rolls are the hardest/most painful. Still, I'm trying to wean off the pain meds by waiting a little longer before the next dose.

BTW, did anyone here have bad piriformis pain before the obvious hip pain showed up? Just remembering all the stretching and rolling I had to do for piriformis pain every time I ramped up my running mileage the last couple of years. I'm wondering if that was a first sign...

For about 2 years before, maybe 3, I was having what I thought was piriformis pain. I would roll and stretch and it was always just there. Sometimes it was tolerable. Sometimes it wasn't. I also had IT band issues around the same time. I assume that it's all related. I didn't start to have the lateral hip and groin pain until the end of last year and beginning of this year.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

How are you guys doing?

PT cleared me to do real planks and showed me some challenging stability ball exercises and I am sore as heck today. It feels great. Can I run yet? lol

cpresson

I'm doing OK. Pain level is almost bearable most of the time. Daily exercises are getting easier. I can't see needing crutches for 5 more weeks though--lol.

Dmlc

I'm doing pretty good. That's great you get to do planks! I can't wait to do actual strenuous exercises. I've graduated to one crutch, which is awesome, but made me a whole lot more sore. I'm hoping to be off crutches completely in another week. How far were you able to walk when you discontinued crutches ?

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I'm doing pretty good. That's great you get to do planks! I can't wait to do actual strenuous exercises. I've graduated to one crutch, which is awesome, but made me a whole lot more sore. I'm hoping to be off crutches completely in another week. How far were you able to walk when you discontinued crutches ?

I could do at least half a mile before I started to limp a bit after I was done with crutches, about 9 days after. Now I can go much further. I need to start walking more. Problem is I live in hill country so it's hard to avoid any hills.

Dmlc

Yeah I can't imagine walking up a hill anytime soon. Luckily I live in Chicago and we don't have many of those! Are you riding a bike at all ? My husband set up my bike on one of those stationary stands today, and it feels great to have my hip moving around.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Yes, I have been riding the bike since 1 week post op. Started out slooooooow and only 5 minute increments. I'm up to 25 minutes at a time at a decent clip (13+ mph). I hate the bike so much. It's not the same as running. lol Also, the seat is uncomfortable but there is nothing I can do about that. I have a cover and all that on there and it's still uncomfortable. The seat is fixed so I can't change it out. Bummer.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

PT says that I can start running at about 12 weeks post op as long as the doc clears me (don't see why he wouldn't, I have no pain and am rocking mobility lol). That's only 3 weeks away!!! It's been 4 months since I ran. I am desperate. lol

Dmlc

That is so great ! I'm so happy for you. I asked my PT when she thinks I will be able to work out normal again, not even running, and she told me probably a few months  I don't know why everything is taking so long for me. I still can't walk without a major limp.

cpresson

Dang, the doc refused to negotiate on the 6-week crutches sentence today & on top of that, he won't allow me to drive while on crutches. At least I can start PT in a couple of weeks...