Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

I saw the doc and he gave me an injection, hopefully it helps.

Sad  Cortisone?  Did he have any explanation for the flare up?

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Sad  Cortisone?  Did he have any explanation for the flare up?

Yeah, cortisone and bupivicaine. He said the combination of returning to work full time (home health nurse, lots of driving) and an increase in activity (which he said was fine) flared it up. He said he doesn't think anything is wrong and feels the injection will help.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

Dmlc

Oh no ! So sorry you are having a flare up! Did you get the injection in your hip ? I had my si joint injected a couple weeks ago and it has made me feel so much better! All I feel is tightness in my hip when I walk a lot but hardly not any pain. I go back to work next week so I'm really nervous about that. I'm sure it'll be painful but I've got to work threw it because I can't stand being off any longer. Are you sidelined with running for now ? I hope you feel better soon  Sad    So many ups and downs it's so confusing !

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

The injection was right in my hip joint. He didn't tell me to not run but I'm going to take a few days off while the cortisone does its work.

Dmlc

That's probably a good idea. My cortisone injection took about a week to kick in.

Hip Redux

The injection was right in my hip joint. He didn't tell me to not run but I'm going to take a few days off while the cortisone does its work.

It can take a few days for it to work, up to a week.   Usually 2-3 days for me.   Hopefully it helps!

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

cpresson, how are you doing with recovery?

cpresson

Actually, not too bad at all. I'm dealing with some other physical issues that are dampening my excitement at having a fixed hip, though--haha. The hip is good--I can't complain. Like everyone else, there are good and less good days but overall, I'm pretty happy with how things are going Smile

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I'm glad the hip is cooperating, at least!

Siggie

Hi - I had surgery almost a year ago to repair my labrum and fix FAI.  All was going well until I was working out and started getting really really bad pain in my butt and I had to limp out of the gym and couldn't walk the rest of the day because the pain was so bad in my butt.  The pain has subsided but the hip is still not well and feels stiff and still some pain.  I moved so I was forced to see a new doc and he was clueless and wouldn't order an arthrogram so I just saw another doc and he is recommending a cortisone shot and pt and then he will order arthrogram to see if I have damaged the labrum again.  So my question is do the cortisone shots work to reduce swelling and calm things down?

Hip Redux

Hi - I had surgery almost a year ago to repair my labrum and fix FAI.  All was going well until I was working out and started getting really really bad pain in my butt and I had to limp out of the gym and couldn't walk the rest of the day because the pain was so bad in my butt.  The pain has subsided but the hip is still not well and feels stiff and still some pain.  I moved so I was forced to see a new doc and he was clueless and wouldn't order an arthrogram so I just saw another doc and he is recommending a cortisone shot and pt and then he will order arthrogram to see if I have damaged the labrum again.  So my question is do the cortisone shots work to reduce swelling and calm things down?

Sorry you are having issues again!

Yes, cortisone shots work.... for some.   They were a miracle for me with my low back problems, but I know not everyone has good results with it.   It's definitely worth a try though.

Siggie

Sorry you are having issues again!

Yes, cortisone shots work.... for some.   They were a miracle for me with my low back problems, but I know not everyone has good results with it.   It's definitely worth a try though.

Thanks Oski, I have read that there are mixed results with the cortisone injections.  I am allergic to contrast dye so it makes them more problematic along with the arthrogram so I didn't know if I wanted to go thru with it but I guess it is worth a try.  Just disappointed and depressed that I am having to go thru this all over again and now my surgeon is across the country Sad  But I must proceed and hope for a good outcome once I get the arthrogram.  I had posted about a month after my surgery about my piriformis flaring up and you were helpful then but I forgot my log in info so I had to create a new one.

Hip Redux

I'm glad the hip is cooperating, at least!

Hey - so did the cortisone kick in?

Hip Redux

Thanks Oski, I have read that there are mixed results with the cortisone injections.  I am allergic to contrast dye so it makes them more problematic along with the arthrogram so I didn't know if I wanted to go thru with it but I guess it is worth a try.  Just disappointed and depressed that I am having to go thru this all over again and now my surgeon is across the country Sad  But I must proceed and hope for a good outcome once I get the arthrogram.  I had posted about a month after my surgery about my piriformis flaring up and you were helpful then but I forgot my log in info so I had to create a new one.

Oooooh, that's rough.  So how do they do the arthrogram for you if you are allergic?

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Hey - so did the cortisone kick in?

It did. It's not perfect but it's a hell of a lot better. The groin pain is pretty much gone and the butt pain has improved dramatically. Last night my hip flexor was pretty tight so I didn't do anything. The hip flexor is pissing me off. lol