Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your experiences.  After 12mo of unexplained high hammy tightness, perpetually knotted glutes and a "clunking" right hip (seems like it's originating from the SI, but who knows), I finally got a doc to schedule a hip MRI to look for a labral tear.  I've had probably a half dozen PTs perform those manual internal/external hip rotation tests with only a minor, almost superficial, pinching sensation in my groin, and they all offered the same response when I asked about a labral tear, "If you had a torn labrum, you would know."  I know I have some spinal arthritis, and likely some ligament laxity around my sacrum, but no treatment directed at stabilizing those issues have provided any relief.  I have mixed feelings about the MRI...it could provide some answers while seriously screwing with Olympic trials qualifying dreams, but may also just continue to lead me in circles. MRI Monday!

Yep, I was told the same thing.   Note: I was misdiagnosed for 7 months with adductor tendonitis.  

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Yep, I was told the same thing.   Note: I was misdiagnosed for 7 months 12 months with adductor tendonitis.  

Ditto.  Sometimes you have to trust your gut over the doctors.

Running is dumb.

kilkee

runktrun

Thanks...?  Ha, at least thanks for reassuring me that I'm not crazy...or that it wasn't that I just didn't foam roll enough, or do enough yoga to heal my broken body.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

cpresson

I feel pretty lucky that my ortho suspected a labral tear the first time I saw him for the pain in my groin. He didn't waste any time sending me for an MRA.

I was on crutches after surgery for 6 weeks and was not allowed to drive until I was off crutches. They used 3 anchors to fix the tear and shaved down my femur to fix the FAI.

Now I'm about 4.5 months post op and slowly working my way back into running. But my left hip (the "good" one) is starting to bother me a little.

My goal is to get back to running enough to pass a PT test for the Army so I can get promoted. Once that's done, I'll probably address the FAI and suspected small tear in my "good" hip. I just hope it will hold out with minimal pain until then--lol.

kilkee

runktrun

I had the MRI yesterday, without contrast, and I'm worried that the plain MRI won't be detailed enough to see anything Sad  My rheumatologist ordered it, and he should have had a good idea about joint issues...  Argh.  I just want some answers!

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Prince of Fatness

I had the MRI yesterday, without contrast, and I'm worried that the plain MRI won't be detailed enough to see anything Sad  My rheumatologist ordered it, and he should have had a good idea about joint issues...  Argh.  I just want some answers!

My tear was found without contrast, so it is possible.

Not at it at all. 

dallison

registered pw

Here's my update 17 months post op. I still have the very slightest discomfort which really isn't much at all. a lot of the time it's the muscles on the inside part of my quad that seem to still need some strengthening. I do get some inflammation when i run quite a few days in a row.

Currently i am training for the steamtown marathon in october and have less than 4 weeks. This weekend is my last 20 miler until the taper. I have been able to run 40-45 mile weeks for the last 6 weeks or so. Last month i posted a pr of over 200 miles. My mile time is the same but since i have been training for the marathon my 5k time slowed a little. But, that could be b/c i wasn't resting before a race.

I am happy to say that i am 99% recovered and some would say 100%. But, since i still get some inflammation from time to time, that's the 1%.

My results are not typical but you all can get to your goals also. Make sure to do a lot of strengthening and conditioning before surgery to get as strong as possible, or even stronger than you have been. I think that is key.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

mylestones

For those who had the surgery already, I have a silly question. For sleeping, did you have to sleep on your back for several weeks? Or could you sleep on your stomach or side, and at what point? I am awful about sleeping on my back (hate it!) and am dreading it! Also I got fitted for my crutches yesterday and was annoyed with them after just a few practice steps! Not a good sign, haha! Are the "crutcheze" things worth it? Do they make it any less awkward/ uncomfortable?I have been running every day leading up to my surgery, figuring I will take my "cutback" week(s) when I am absolutely forced to. My hip hurts more since I've been running more, but it is helping provide motivation to go through with this major surgery. Only way forward for me is to take a few steps back first!

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I hate sleeping on my back, too. I slept on my back the first night but then I was able to sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees. After a couple of weeks, I was able to sleep on my stomach.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

cpresson

I slept sitting up on the couch for quite a while after surgery!

dallison

registered pw

I had slept with a pillow between my legs while sleeping on my side.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Prince of Fatness

A couple of years before my surgery I was seeing a chiro who told me that it is best to sleep on your back. He said side was ok but back was best. So, at that time I started sleeping on my back. It took a couple of weeks to get used to it. I've been doing it ever since.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

I bought a body pillow, so I could half sleep on my back/half on my side (if that makes any sense).  I ended up getting used to sleeping on my back after surgery, but unless you have a brace or something like that, I don't think you have to - just whatever is comfortable.

My recliner was awesome for naps though, I will say. 

cpresson

So I have an appointment in a little over a week to talk to the surgeon about my "good" hip which has gotten worse since I've started running again. I am still doing run/walk intervals but my non-op hip is starting to act up. Of course, from the first time I saw the surgeon, he noted impingement and a possible small tear in the good one (from the MR Arthrogram). I mainly want to get a care plan in place and the problem officially documented so if/when we have to do something about it, I don't have to fight with insurance again to get the surgery covered. I just hope I can get back to running well enough to pass a PT test for the Army before that happens 

Hip Redux

So I have an appointment in a little over a week to talk to the surgeon about my "good" hip which has gotten worse since I've started running again. I am still doing run/walk intervals but my non-op hip is starting to act up. Of course, from the first time I saw the surgeon, he noted impingement and a possible small tear in the good one (from the MR Arthrogram). I mainly want to get a care plan in place and the problem officially documented so if/when we have to do something about it, I don't have to fight with insurance again to get the surgery covered. I just hope I can get back to running well enough to pass a PT test for the Army before that happens 

I'm sorry Sad