Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

cpresson

I am down to 1-2 days a week.  Is that an option for you?  It's not exactly the same as actually having a running schedule, but it keeps me in the game a bit.   And better than horrible groin pain all the time and all that.

I may be able to do some easy trail running at some point, but for now I think I'm going to focus on walking more and see if I can get the joints to the point where they don't feel so bad. The knee surgeon is the one who strongly advised me to do what I had to so that I don't have to run for the Army (and need knee replacement 20 years early) and the hip surgeon sort of agreed (suggesting if I run, I should run on grass or dirt), for the purpose of potentially saving my left hip from surgery and keeping the right hip in a good place. They're both sports med docs and I've been seeing the knee surgeon for 2.5 years. This was the closest he's come to actually saying "I don't want you to run" without actually saying it--lol--so I knew he was serious. The knee has swollen a little the last 2 times I've tried to run anyway. I'm hoping in time things will be better and I can run a little again.

cpresson

It felt great today, I was going to ride the bike again. I had big plans. Then a dog bit me at work. lol I'm okay, but I'm burned out from spending the evening at the ER and my arm is throbby. I'm slightly worried about the hip because he jumped up on me, scratched the op hip and bit my upper arm (thankfully I stuck my arm up to protect my face, it would have been worse otherwise). He jarred the hip around a bit so we'll see how that feels tomorrow.

That stinks; I'm glad you weren't hurt more. I hope the hip is OK

goldiejohnson26

Consulting an orthopedic doctor about your situation will definitely help. Not only will you be able to determine the cause of the pain but your mind will also be at ease. Here’s a quick guide to finding the best orthopedic doctors: http://www.placidway.com/treatment-detail/20/Orthopedic/Knee-Surgery-Treatment-Abroad
        MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Well, I'm here to report that I definitely need to keep up on my glute exercises if I want to be able to run.  Due to a different injury, I stopped running this spring/summer.  I got lazy about doing my PT exercises during this time, so I slacked for a long time.  Trying to run again resulted in a very unhappy hip.  I was pretty upset about my hip hurting again when I remembered my laziness. So recently I started doing my one legged squats on the stairs again (I call them step backs, not sure if you guys had the same exercise, but I always get a good burn in my glutes when I do them, so that's my drug of choice) plus clams and leg raises and low and behold after a few weeks I was able to run (mostly) pain free again!  Lesson learned.  So don't stop doing your glute work!  I need to start getting in consistent mileage again before I get too happy, but I am cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to building back up to 30mpw again.

That said, I'm still not 100% pain free while running and I'm not sure I ever will be, but it's still definitely better than it was before surgery.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Mandy, same here.  I also notice that if I take a few days off and don't do anything I get really stiff and achy.   Even just getting out for a good walk helps keep things feeling ok.

Glad you are running again!!

Sanityrunner

I am new to this forum and so glad i have found it.  I am a very active runner. Started running approx 3 years ago and quickly fell in love, i have ran numerous halfs and fulls.

On 23 i had arhtroscopic hip surgery. I had a labral tear with CAM impingement. 2 weeks post surgery and I am beginning to feel like there is no end in sight. Feeling a bit overwhelmed and down. I have to be in crutches 10% weight, 5 more weeks and have a brace 3 more weeks. I am very sore and weak. I have started PT but the exercises are minimal. I still have swelling I have not been cleared to drive as it is my right leg. There is very little information available in the internet as to realistci expectation for recovery.

Hip Redux

I am new to this forum and so glad i have found it.  I am a very active runner. Started running approx 3 years ago and quickly fell in love, i have ran numerous halfs and fulls.

On 23 i had arhtroscopic hip surgery. I had a labral tear with CAM impingement. 2 weeks post surgery and I am beginning to feel like there is no end in sight. Feeling a bit overwhelmed and down. I have to be in crutches 10% weight, 5 more weeks and have a brace 3 more weeks. I am very sore and weak. I have started PT but the exercises are minimal. I still have swelling I have not been cleared to drive as it is my right leg. There is very little information available in the internet as to realistci expectation for recovery.

It's a long road, and you are just at the start, unfortunately.   Realistic expectation is that everyone is different but around the 2-3 month mark you will start to feel more normal and then close to 100% somewhere in the 8-10, maybe 12, month mark.   Patience is key but you will get there!

Sanityrunner

Thank you. I am so glad I found this group. Finally, a group of folks that understand the frustrations. And a group that can appreciate the semmingly small accomplishments that make a huge difference.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

It was my right leg, too. I wasn't comfortable driving until about 5 weeks post op or so.

You are still very early in recovery, so very normal to feel like there is no end in sight. I remember it well. I am 8 months post op and am attempting my return to run for the second time. First time around I suffered from some hip flexor tendonitis. I am still dealing with it a bit, very frustrating. But I am feeling more "normal" now. Not 100% yet. I am waiting for that "click" where everything feels like it should.

Everyone is different. You are on the other side now. Smile

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

Hip Redux

Thank you. I am so glad I found this group. Finally, a group of folks that understand the frustrations. And a group that can appreciate the semmingly small accomplishments that make a huge difference.

I think there's a post in here somewhere about how excited I was about being able to put on socks. lol

Sanityrunner

Putting on socks is huge! I cannot wait to put on my own socks and pants without assistance. I do not think I was fully prepared for how limiting this recovery would be. I am trying to be patient but very difficult when I like you am very used to being active.

kilkee

runktrun

MRA scheduled (finally!).  So...how crappy was the dye injection?  I'm not squeamish with needles or pain, but I am in that tiny % of the population that experience weird side effects from routine procedures.  I still have bone spurs growing out of my maxilla 6 years after jaw surgery, and Novocain does nothing for me (Lidocaine does work better), so I am expecting this to be very uncomfortable.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Sanityrunner

My MRA dye injection was not that bad. My doctor was great and had a wonderful bedside manner. Other than the initial prick and some pressure I didn't feel much. My doc injected lidocaine to numb the entire area before the actual dye injection so I was rather comfortable. I did have myself a bit worked up before just  knowing it was my hio being injected though. After I took it easy as directed and had no issues.  Best of luck!!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hang in there, Sanityrunner!  Weeks 2-4 is pretty frustrating, but I promise it gets better.  I started feeling a lot better around maybe 2-3 months post-op like Oski said.

Kilkee, I didn't find the needle to be all that bad.  I over hyped it in my head.  Just don't look down!  I stared at the ceiling the entire time.  It was uncomfortable, but nothing terrible.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I'm one of the lucky ones that had to go thru the MRA twice.  It's not pleasant but it's not the worst.  I had a lot of pressure both times and so increased symptoms for a few days the first time and the second time the guy felt bad for me so shot me up with more lidocaine to the joint.

Sitting still for 45 min in the MRI is not entirely fun either!