Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

kilkee

runktrun

Wowwee, that was uncomfortable. Tolerable, but kinda gross. Lidocaine was injected with the contrast, and I feel pretty much the same, but with more stiffness. I still can't lift my knee (actually, lowering it in a controlled fashion is the toughest). Results soon...

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Hip Redux

Wowwee, that was uncomfortable. Tolerable, but kinda gross. Lidocaine was injected with the contrast, and I feel pretty much the same, but with more stiffness. I still can't lift my knee (actually, lowering it in a controlled fashion is the toughest). Results soon...

Fingers crossed for you!

You might still feel it for a few days, too.  My first one was pretty uncomfortable for 3-4 days.

kilkee

runktrun

Thanks!  I feel enough pressure in the joint to prevent me from making any sudden movements, but it's not too bad.

gymshoe

Hi all! First I want to thank you for this thread, it has been super informative in preparing me for my upcoming surgery. I found out about my tear and impingement a week ago and surgery is scheduled for next month. I've read most of the posts in the original thread, as well as this one, and it has been very helpful. Most everything sound promising but my gosh recovery takes a long time Sad. I'm a runner, not the "ultimate marathon" (a little lol from a post in one of these threads) kind, but everything up to a half. I was planning on my first full marathon next fall but it looks like that's off the table for now. So depressing.

Most of my questions have been answered here but I've been curious about one thing, the exercise bike. I understand that I can start no-resistance riding pretty soon after surgery and that's exciting to me. My question is, can I use my Trek road bike (Domane if that matters) on a trainer during rehab or is the seat and riding position (I understand that I should remain upright and not bent over holding the handlebars) not good and I should only use the bikes at a PT facility (not sure how they're different)?

Thanks! I'm sure this is only the beginning of my questions for you Smile

Hip Redux

I think you'll be ok with a road bike on a trainer.  I used my spin bike and just sat up.

kilkee

runktrun

Ack.

"There appears to be increased signal within the anterior labrum secondary to degeneration with a  suspected shallow linear tear involving its base as there is a focal linear area of increased T1 in this region which appears to extend to the articular surface."

Well, poop.  I'll get more information tomorrow when I meet with the sports med doc at HSS.  My big concern is continued degeneration and mechanical issues rather than pain.

Hip Redux

Ack.

"There appears to be increased signal within the anterior labrum secondary to degeneration with a  suspected shallow linear tear involving its base as there is a focal linear area of increased T1 in this region which appears to extend to the articular surface."

Well, poop.  I'll get more information tomorrow when I meet with the sports med doc at HSS.  My big concern is continued degeneration and mechanical issues rather than pain.

Argh Sad

How did the appt go?

kilkee

runktrun

Doc #1 (before he read the MRA):  Go straight to surgery, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

PA for Doc #1 (after the MRA): You have a tear, Dr Kohl will refer you to a surgeon in Pottstown.

Me: Well, the report says degeneration, so can I come in and discuss exactly what that means with Dr. Kohl?

PA: No, he'll refer you to a surgeon.

Me: So, Dr. Kohl doesn't have anything else to say to me...?

PA: No.

Doc #2 (at HSS): Well, your joints are pretty shitty for a 30 yr old, but there are still some things you can control, so let's try a prescription NSAID to control the inflammation before we jump to surgery.

So it doesn't look like I have FAI, and the doctor at HSS is optimistic that controlling inflammation (from arthritis + a deep strain) should keep the joint working well enough to run hard for a little while longer.  I must have tweaked my psoas or illiopsoas tendon, which aggravated the already less than perfect labrum.  I'm going to be pounding glucosamine and anti-inflammatory foods to do whatever I can to slow down the joint disease.  Some breathing room before I have to navigate surgery....

Sanityrunner

Please help.....Crazy question!! I am 3 weeks post surgery.  I have recently noticed that my foot and lower calf of the operated hip are ice cold. It feels frozen like ive been sitting outside in frigid temps. My husband said there is a noticeable difference in feel from one leg to the other. No noticeable swelling other than typical post surgery stuff if I do too much. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

Runktrun sounds like you got good news. Congrats!

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Please help.....Crazy question!! I am 3 weeks post surgery.  I have recently noticed that my foot and lower calf of the operated hip are ice cold. It feels frozen like ive been sitting outside in frigid temps. My husband said there is a noticeable difference in feel from one leg to the other. No noticeable swelling other than typical post surgery stuff if I do too much. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

Runktrun sounds like you got good news. Congrats!

RN here. Smile Totally normal, especially if you are on non-weight bearing or limited weight bearing status. Because you aren't moving the leg like normal, venous return to the heart is reduced resulting in a temperature difference and sometimes a difference in color. Do ankle pumps to circulate the blood again (pump your foot like you are hitting a brake pedal and do circles with your ankle). As long as you can feel your foot and can move it around, you are good.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

Sanityrunner

RN here. Smile Totally normal, especially if you are on non-weight bearing or limited weight bearing status. Because you aren't moving the leg like normal, venous return to the heart is reduced resulting in a temperature difference and sometimes a difference in color. Do ankle pumps to circulate the blood again (pump your foot like you are hitting a brake pedal and do circles with your ankle). As long as you can feel your foot and can move it around, you are good.

Thank you so much!!! There is so much about this recovery they don't tell you about. I feel like like every few days it's something new. 3 weeks in and still hoping to feel normal again.

Hip Redux

So it doesn't look like I have FAI, and the doctor at HSS is optimistic that controlling inflammation (from arthritis + a deep strain) should keep the joint working well enough to run hard for a little while longer.  I must have tweaked my psoas or illiopsoas tendon, which aggravated the already less than perfect labrum.  I'm going to be pounding glucosamine and anti-inflammatory foods to do whatever I can to slow down the joint disease.  Some breathing room before I have to navigate surgery....

Yeah, I wouldn't rush into surgery if you already are showing signs of arthritis - from what I have seen, the odds of a great recovery are lower in that case.   And a pissed off psoas can definitely tweak the hip!

kilkee

runktrun

Yeah, I am terrified of making anything worse by cutting.  Once you cut, you can't un-cut.  My PT, however, is pushing for surgery sooner rather than later, so I want to seek a third opinion from the Rothman Institute. Mostly to have someone else look at the MRA, since there is no really obvious, big tear, but obviously something strange is going on.

Hip Redux

Yeah, I am terrified of making anything worse by cutting.  Once you cut, you can't un-cut.  My PT, however, is pushing for surgery sooner rather than later, so I want to seek a third opinion from the Rothman Institute. Mostly to have someone else look at the MRA, since there is no really obvious, big tear, but obviously something strange is going on.

HSS is pretty well-known for knowing the hip stuff - who did you see there?

kilkee

runktrun

Dr Metzl, in sports med. I saw him earlier in the fall for my glute & hammy issues. He looked at the mra and said to hold off on surgery, however, my PT, who has not seen the imaging, is pushing for surgery. I am inclined to trust Metzl when he says it's not bad.