Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

How is everyone doing? I am trying to ease my way into running. Most of the time I feel great, sometimes the hip feels...weird. Not really pain but just weird. I am hoping that goes away.

I wish I could tell you that that totally goes away, but so far for me it hasn't.  I feel normal 100% of the time during routine, daily activities.  Even when hiking long distances and climbing mountains I feel pretty normal, like I don't feel too much of a difference between hips.  But running can be hit or miss.  Sometimes my hip does exactly what you said -- it just feels weird.  It's not really pain, but it feels different than my other hip.  Running is the main activity where this happens.  I can bike forever without that weird feeling.  I mostly get that weird feeling in the later stages of longer runs, but occasionally it happens at random times too.  Sometimes it lingers, sometimes it goes away.

That said, my hip has been really, really good this month.  I should easily break 100 miles for December and I had a really good long run of 13 miles.  So there's hope!  No, it's not marathons, but at this point I'm happy with what I've been able to do and don't think I've hit my ceiling yet.

Running is dumb.

dallison

registered pw

Closing in on two years and so far so good. I ran a 3:23 marathon in October, racked up 1600 miles and a 200 mile month. I still have inflammation that flares up from time to time, but no pain and no real issues.

Keep up the great work everyone.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

kilkee

runktrun

That's great to hear, dallison!

I've popped in here a few times, and have elected to forgo surgery.  I didn't get precise measurements from an x-ray, but my MRA did not indicate any FAI, so to two sports med/orthos I saw said there was too much risk for very little benefit from repairing the tear since the tear is from general deterioration. Sad  So I am on a strict regimen of jump squats, bridges, planks and other dynamic glute and core exercises (not your standard PT exercises).  If I don't do at least some of my exercises every day, I basically can't run.  I routinely get popping in my hip with certain movements, but luckily running itself isn't bothersome.  Putting pants on and trying to swing my leg into the car are...oh well!  I still have a lot of hammy and glute discomfort ALL THE TIME, but I can move much more fluidly now.

Hope everyone has a (relatively) pain free Christmas and New Year!

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I hit some hills yesterday for a quick 3 miler (while buzzed lol) and I am sore. But not a bad sore, the good kind of sore. Both glutes, especially. The right (op side) is a little more sore than the left, so I'm inclined to think I still have some weakness on that side. Guess my slacking on the strengthening has made itself apparent. lol

I'm sorry the news wasn't better. There was no FAI noted in my MRA either, it wasn't until I went to the hip arthroscopy surgeon that he found it on my xray.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

mylestones

My surgery was 9/23, so I'm just starting to get back into running. (Started back around the 11-12 week mark). It's been a very slow progression (couch to 5k), but this morning was finally allowed to step it up to more than 90 seconds of running at a time. Ran (off and on) for a total of 16 minutes and it felt great. I am so glad I had the surgery, Even with all the muscle weakness post surgery, the hip feels stronger than it was before and my gait feels more naturally stable. Plus, no real pain at all, just some discomfort or "awareness" of the hip every now and then. I can't wait to get back out on trails and roads (and run for more than 16 minutes total on a treadmill!).

Hope everyone is recovering well (or if already recovered), enjoying some last miles of 2015. Happy new year!

Murph28

I have a question for everyone. I have been off the crutches for 2 weeks, 12/9, my surgery was 10/29. The first 2 weeks of walking was pretty good, not much pain just a little discomfort. This week is a different story. My upper inside thigh and groin has some pain, my IT Band has some which the surgeon said would happen since they cut the ports through it. Yesterday the top of my butt cheek has some pain and discomfort. When I push on it, it feels like a very sore muscle. I have also had some tingling feelings in this area as well. I have some discomfort between my lower rib cage and the top of my hip bone. What should I expect when it comes to this pain I am experiencing? I am getting a little nervous I may have done something to re-injure the labrum. The doctor said I would have pain in the groin and IT band but I didn't have any the first week of walking. Did anyone else start having more pain as they started walking again? Any advice or stories would be appreciated. Thanks.

cpresson

How is everyone doing? I am trying to ease my way into running. Most of the time I feel great, sometimes the hip feels...weird. Not really pain but just weird. I am hoping that goes away.

I think my only chance for running in the future is with a total knee replacement. I miss running so bad Sad

But my hip is doing well and would be even better if I did my stretching and PT regularly. I've just had a lot of digestive/GI issues the last few months and have been physically weak with some significant weight/muscle loss. So I'm usually too tired after work to do much.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I have a question for everyone. I have been off the crutches for 2 weeks, 12/9, my surgery was 10/29. The first 2 weeks of walking was pretty good, not much pain just a little discomfort. This week is a different story. My upper inside thigh and groin has some pain, my IT Band has some which the surgeon said would happen since they cut the ports through it. Yesterday the top of my butt cheek has some pain and discomfort. When I push on it, it feels like a very sore muscle. I have also had some tingling feelings in this area as well. I have some discomfort between my lower rib cage and the top of my hip bone. What should I expect when it comes to this pain I am experiencing? I am getting a little nervous I may have done something to re-injure the labrum. The doctor said I would have pain in the groin and IT band but I didn't have any the first week of walking. Did anyone else start having more pain as they started walking again? Any advice or stories would be appreciated. Thanks.

Could just be some muscle weakness and hip flexor tendinitis. Considering you were on crutches for so long, it's likely that it's muscle weakness. Are you in PT?

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I think my only chance for running in the future is with a total knee replacement. I miss running so bad Sad

But my hip is doing well and would be even better if I did my stretching and PT regularly. I've just had a lot of digestive/GI issues the last few months and have been physically weak with some significant weight/muscle loss. So I'm usually too tired after work to do much.

Stupid knee! Any idea when that replacement will happen?

cpresson

Stupid knee! Any idea when that replacement will happen?

We're going to try one more Synvisc injection,first (Dec 31). If that doesn't help, it will be my call on how long I can hold out with the pain. I'm on a pretty effective arthritis pain med now (Arthrotec) but I don't know how long I'll be able to keep taking it with the stomach/GI issues. Without it, I'm in a lot of pain most of the time.

Murph28

Could just be some muscle weakness and hip flexor tendinitis. Considering you were on crutches for so long, it's likely that it's muscle weakness. Are you in PT?

Yes I am have been doing PT since week 3.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Bring it up to PT.

Could be a tight psoas. Have you tried any hip flexor stretches? Within reason, of course. Pretty early on, PT did this stretch with me. http://www.bodyresults.com/_iexer/lungepsoas.gif

I could definitely feel the stretch across the front of my thigh/hip, especially in comparison to the other side.

Murph28

Would a tight psoas cause discomfort in your lower back and wrap around to the front right about where your hip bone is right below the rib cage.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Would a tight psoas cause discomfort in your lower back and wrap around to the front right about where your hip bone is right below the rib cage.

My tight psoas killed my lower back. The psoas is a big muscle that attaches from the back to the pelvis. https://www.crossfitinvictus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/psoas_major_and_min.jpg

Once I worked out the tight psoas the pain in my back and hip resolved. It also caused some groin pain, but nothing like the tear did.

Here is a pic with common areas for psoas pain to present. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_w1ag1vnS33A/TL3_Enb96RI/AAAAAAAAABI/4yLNqWA66XY/s1600/Iliopsoas1.jpg

Murph28

My tight psoas killed my lower back. The psoas is a big muscle that attaches from the back to the pelvis. https://www.crossfitinvictus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/psoas_major_and_min.jpg

Once I worked out the tight psoas the pain in my back and hip resolved. It also caused some groin pain, but nothing like the tear did.

Here is a pic with common areas for psoas pain to present. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_w1ag1vnS33A/TL3_Enb96RI/AAAAAAAAABI/4yLNqWA66XY/s1600/Iliopsoas1.jpg

Thanks for the information. My PT is going to try some ultrasound at my next session to see if that will help. I have been using a heating pad and a tens unit, and it does make the lower back feel somewhat better. It doesn't last a long time but it does seem like it is a little bit better since last Tuesday when it flared up.

Hope everyone has a great pain free 2016. Happy New Year!