Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

nina5678

I'm 6 days pre-op and starting to get super anxious and nervous. And I just got back from a quick European vacation to calm me down (which worked until we landed on US soil.)

My biggest fear is falling while using the crutches! Also, I'm not sure how the litter box is going to get cleaned.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I'm 6 days pre-op and starting to get super anxious and nervous. And I just got back from a quick European vacation to calm me down (which worked until we landed on US soil.)

My biggest fear is falling while using the crutches! Also, I'm not sure how the litter box is going to get cleaned.

I get it. The anxiety can be totally overwhelming.

Do you have your crutches now? If you do, practice. Otherwise just make sure you go slow, your path is clear, roll up any throw rugs and put them away for now, and make sure there are no cords to trip you.

As far as the kitty box goes, do you have anyone who can come clean it? What about getting one of the automatic ones?

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

nina5678

I get it. The anxiety can be totally overwhelming.

Do you have your crutches now? If you do, practice. Otherwise just make sure you go slow, your path is clear, roll up any throw rugs and put them away for now, and make sure there are no cords to trip you.

As far as the kitty box goes, do you have anyone who can come clean it? What about getting one of the automatic ones?

No, I don't get my crutches until the day of surgery. My place is small and hardwood floors and no carpets so I'm not too concerned inside - it's outside that has me worried! Though not like I'm going to be roaming around the city too much. Just a silly concern.

I have family and friends all offer to come and help me out - but I would feel bad asking any of them to clean it. Though a few of them have cats, and I wouldn't feel bad asking my mom to do it. Just depends on how often any of them will be over in the first place. I looked at some automatic ones but they are so expensive!! And the box isn't in a spot where it can be plugged in either. Sad

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I would just ask mom to clean as often as she is there. Maybe get another cheap kitty box so that kitty has somewhere else to go in case it's a few days between cleanings. We all know how kitties are particular about going in clean boxes. lol

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Dude this reconstruction is no joke. It hurts so much more than the repair. Thank you doctor for being very generous with the percocet.

kilkee

runktrun

The cadaver part is kinda cool/creepy/gross/fascinating (though I realize it's not uncommon).  Wishing you a speedy and FULL recovery!

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

The cadaver part is kinda cool/creepy/gross/fascinating (though I realize it's not uncommon).  Wishing you a speedy and FULL recovery!

It's pretty crazy! The more I read about it, the more positive I feel about it. Success rates are pretty high with use of a graft for reconstruction of the labrum.

He said he isn't worried about my left hip right now. He wants the right to heal and is hoping the left is just compensating at this point. After the really rough last couple of days I have had since surgery, I am agreeing because this recovery is HARD. Way harder than last time.

Hip Redux

It's pretty crazy! The more I read about it, the more positive I feel about it. Success rates are pretty high with use of a graft for reconstruction of the labrum.

He said he isn't worried about my left hip right now. He wants the right to heal and is hoping the left is just compensating at this point. After the really rough last couple of days I have had since surgery, I am agreeing because this recovery is HARD. Way harder than last time.

How are you feeling?

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

It has been a rougher recovery than just the repair was. Mostly because of the nonweight bearing status. Pain was bad the first couple of days, just that preop pain/soreness. Other than that pain has been tolerable. A little low back pain today, which is slightly concerning but I'm trying not to panic just yet.

nina5678

I am six hours post-open and feeling pretty good. Currently in bed at my dad and symptoms house with the ice machine on. Going to get up and move soon and hopefully my dad will be home to bring my CPM machine in and I can get an hour or so in there.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I am six hours post-open and feeling pretty good. Currently in bed at my dad and symptoms house with the ice machine on. Going to get up and move soon and hopefully my dad will be home to bring my CPM machine in and I can get an hour or so in there.

How are you feeling today?

I went to my first post op appointment. The doctor is really optimistic about the reconstruction. Said my ROM is excellent.

Basically what happened is that part of the old repair didn't heal correctly. When he went in, there was a huge chunk of torn labrum that kept getting caught in the joint causing pain. I'm glad that I decided to have surgery again because all the pain I was experiencing is gone. Yay!

nina5678

Oh man - great autocorrects in my post from Wednesday.

I'm feeling much better! Thursday was okay, Friday was alright, Saturday I basically napped all day. I could not wake up and stay awake. I've been off all the pain meds since Saturday night and man I feel so much better! I'm only taking the aspirin to help make sure I avoid blood clots. Came back to my condo today, it's nice to be home! And I just came in from a 30 minute crutch walk outside. I live across from the lake front in Chicago so it's nice to get to do my crutch walking there.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Oh man - great autocorrects in my post from Wednesday.

I'm feeling much better! Thursday was okay, Friday was alright, Saturday I basically napped all day. I could not wake up and stay awake. I've been off all the pain meds since Saturday night and man I feel so much better! I'm only taking the aspirin to help make sure I avoid blood clots. Came back to my condo today, it's nice to be home! And I just came in from a 30 minute crutch walk outside. I live across from the lake front in Chicago so it's nice to get to do my crutch walking there.

So glad to hear you are doing well!

I live in a super hilly area so I can't really go crutching around outside. lol I'm going stir crazy.

nina5678

So glad to hear you are doing well!

I live in a super hilly area so I can't really go crutching around outside. lol I'm going stir crazy.

Yeah I'm feeling a lot better than I thought I would be 6 days post-op!

Oh gosh! Doing my crutch walking keeps me sane - my condo is a small 600sqft so I don't have much walking room inside so I have to get out. When I was at my dad's even just doing laps in the driveway helped dial down the stir craziness.

How are you doing? Seems like it was rough at first, but are you getting better now?

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Definitely more good days than bad days. Monday was rough and I was just exhausted all day. Slept off and on. Still taking pain meds but not nearly as much as the beginning. Weaning myself off of them since I was taking them before surgery for about a month.