Dublin Marathon -- did any RunningAhead users make it to Ireland? (Read 926 times)

I was there, and saw (heard) a lot of Americans. It was my first marathon ever and the weather was perfect. But I wish I knew a good program to improve my speed for next time. Any recommendations? I finished it in 4:53:36. I would have liked 4:00:00
    Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt

Dog-Love

Not a horrible finish...and it was a finish! Was it uphill? Then 4:53 is darn admirable! If it was all down hill well then...probably room for improvement. Looking at your log, probably more long runs at about a 10.5 min/mile pace one or 2 months before would not have hurt. Looks like you have a great goal for the next one.
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
        I wish I knew a good program to improve my speed for next time. Any recommendations?
        There are a lot of programs, and probably any of them would help. From glancing at your summary page, I'd say the main thing would be run lots more miles.
          congratulations! i'd agree that a lot more miles is probably the answer. although given your PRs at other distances i'd say 4hrs was probably a bit hopeful anyway. but extra miles will see all those PRs come tumbling down.
            Congrats! I also agree that more miles will help a lot.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

bas

I also looked at your log. All your pr's are from 2007, so this was a great running year for you! You will improve over all of those distances in the years to come if you increase your mileage in a sensible way. bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Go Pre!

geez, it's a no brainer. more mileage for sure. I can't believe you ran a full marathon on that training mileage.
                  geez, it's a no brainer. more mileage for sure. I can't believe you ran a full marathon on that training mileage.
                  If you have a plan designed for low total mileage, you can be well prepared for a marathon. At least I hope that's the case, cuz Juan Carlos is forty miles up on my YTD total. Your long runs serve as your primary weapon, and you can gradually increase to marathon distance or beyond. In the case of the Galloway walk/run program that I'm using, he recommends increasing your final long run to 30 miles if you have a really competitive (like BQ) goal in mind. My final long run was supposed to be 26.2 but a wrong turn led to almost 28 and I was none the worse for wear and tear. Hungry as hell and fatigued, but not exhausted. I would recommend selecting a plan that is appropriate for your current fitness level and goals, and then sticking to it religiously. Any of the established plans have been refined continuously based on the results from innumerable runners, and should yield improved results over "freelancing".

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

mikeymike

If you have a plan designed for low total mileage, you can be well prepared for a marathon.
                    It really depends on your definition of "well prepared". And I'm not saying that to be a smart ass. I think for some peope it's perfectly reasonable to have a goal of finishing a marathon off of less than 100 miles per month. But since his question was around how to get faster, I agree with Daddyo--more mileage is the obvious answer. The specific program is less important--it may be helpful to pick a program like Hal Higdon or others, just to have something to follow. But the bottom line is that to get faster you need to run more over the long term. cordovez, to answer your other quesiton about RA'ers making it to Dublin, THIS GUY was there.

Runners run

I agree with Daddyo--more mileage is the obvious answer.
                      My bad. I wasn't really responding to the OP, sorta. I should have removed the first part of the quote as follows:
                      I can't believe you ran a full marathon on that training mileage.
                      These were my thoughts on improving finish time, almost any of the established plans (with the exception of mine) would incorporate significantly higher mileage.
                      I would recommend selecting a plan that is appropriate for your current fitness level and goals, and then sticking to it religiously. Any of the established plans have been refined continuously based on the results from innumerable runners, and should yield improved results over "freelancing".
                      Sorry for the confuzzlement, I'm off to grab some more coffee. Dead

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

va

... But the bottom line is that to get faster you need to run more over the long term...
                        Hi Mike, Isn't this statement a little strong? The Furman plans advocate only 3 "quality" runs a week and 2-3 days of cross training. Are you saying if a runner follows such a plan they won't get faster over the long term?

Why is it sideways?

Hi Mike, Isn't this statement a little strong? The Furman plans advocate only 3 "quality" runs a week and 2-3 days of cross training. Are you saying if a runner follows such a plan they won't get faster over the long term?
                          I just looked at your Furman plan. It has you running 5 days a week, and peaking in your mileage at somewhere around 40-50 mpw, depending on how fast you run and how long your warm-ups are. And this is a half-marathon plan! Of course, everyone should be sensible mixing in volume and take the build-up slowly, but your plan seems to me to be consistent with the view that training for a longer event requires consistently building mileage over a long period.
                          mikeymike

Are you saying if a runner follows such a plan they won't get faster over the long term?
                            Like everything else it depends on the runner but I think most runners would (and in fact do) run much better on a plan that includes a lot more easy running versus three relatively hard runs and a lot of cross training. I would get get a lot slower on a plan like the FIRST program. I think programs like FIRST and Galloway and many others are really problem solving programs. They are generally geared toward beginners and/or those who have major injury history and/or those who are, for whatever reason, perpetually pacing-challenged.

Runners run

va

I just looked at your Furman plan. It has you running 5 days a week, and peaking in your mileage at somewhere around 40-50 mpw, depending on how fast you run and how long your warm-ups are. And this is a half-marathon plan! Of course, everyone should be sensible mixing in volume and take the build-up slowly, but your plan seems to me to be consistent with the view that training for a longer event requires consistently building mileage over a long period.
                              Hi Jeff, There is a legend far to the right which shows the color coding and paces. The 45-60 minutes on Mon and Wed are cross-training days (in blue). I think the plan peaks 4 weeks from target race with less than 30 miles (even when you add-in warm-up/cool-down). 4/21/08 4/27/08 45-60 min 3x2000(400RI) 45-60 min 2mt/1e/2mt 15 HMP+20 My weekly mileage under this plan will be less than I have been running this past year, and yet, I think I will end up being faster.

Why is it sideways?

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought the 45-60 minute days were running days. Cool. So, what is the rationale behind cutting back the time spent running and replacing it with cross-training?