2014 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 532 times)

Dad, Runner, Programmer

I ran my second and final tune-up race today.  My race report is here.

Very excited to get my New York on in four weeks!  (I'm not sure what that means, but since it's the ad campaign...)

Great race report, Julia! It's nice to read about those awful preface feelings of dread still leading to a successful race performance. And congrats on the PR!

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job, Julia, great RR!

I ran the Tower of Terror 10 miler with my husband this weekend as my last LR before Chicago.  I run in the evenings but man, running at 10pm is hard.  I'm still tired.

Damaris

Julia1971

Goorun, Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I tend to outperform at the 10 mile and half marathon distances.  I plug my time for those races in calculators and they spit out times I haven't achieved at any other distance.  It's a little bizarre.

Dbilenkin, For point to point races, "The only way out is through".  Smile

D_R, I've only run that late during a Ragnar.  I do seem to recall being wired for a while and then crashing hard - like falling asleep mid sentence 4 or 5 hours later.

senatj

Julia- great race report - loved reading it.

Caxrine- thanks for the advice.  I keep waffling on and off, but I think I'll skip it.  Just too much running in traffic for my taste.  The course will be a nice surprise for race day!

Docket - 10pm!  I'm usually about to go to bed.  That is dedication.

Today was a 3 x 2 mile at MP -10sec.  I was looking forward to it after 4 days of easy slow runs.  But once I started this morning (in the dark), it was tough.  My legs did not want to run that pace (7:50).  I ended up doing well, but it was a pretty good effort.  10 miles total and I felt great after.  This is of course the last peak mileage week so we are getting there!  Can't wait!

Julia1971

Senatj, Hang in there!  Only a few more days of hard work until "the hay is in the barn" and you can relax a little.

So, I was cynical about the "Get your New York On" campaign but the last two posts on Facebook about Fred Lebow and movies about NYC have been educational and entertaining...  And, we got a preview of the ribbon for the medal.  I love it!

Julia1971

I ran 20 today.  I don't think it was a good idea.  I felt really, really bad at the end of it.  Like, should not be operating a motor vehicle a half hour later bad.  But...  I was wearing a ridiculous amount of NYCM gear.    I've been wearing my 2012/2013 resolution bracelet all week and my "I [heart] NY" shoe charm went on today.

Dbilenkin, Put me down for 3:24:59.  Despite running MCM the week before, I want to NYCMQ for next year,  (Edited not to break a world record)

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Julia, you are down for 3:24:59. So now I forget, if that's your NY goal, what's your Marine Corps goal?

Hey everyone, so I've been going back and forth on whether to use a pace bracelet, but I think Goorun finally convinced me to at least have it, so I went ahead and made one for myself accounting for elevation changes and some other factors like the start, fade and on which miles I have Gu.

I figured I'd share it here and if you are interested you can make a copy and make it your own. You just have to change your goal time at the top, and then whatever other time factors you want to change around in the "Other Factors" column, and everything should then self adjust.  I used the following elevation chart:

http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/sites/default/files/NYC%20Marathon%20Elevation%20Profile_2014.pdf

I don't guarantee I didn't make any mistakes, so use at your own risk

(Just click on File -> Make a copy):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhJaKJWkjGnLdDBMbkozT1lfaTVoUk1FeVktUUY1dEE&usp=sharing

Or, you can go and buy one from one of a number of sites for $5 or $10 or so.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Julia1971

Julia, you are down for 3:24:59. So now I forget, if that's your NY goal, what's your Marine Corps goal?

Hey everyone, so I've been going back and forth on whether to use a pace bracelet, but I think Goorun finally convinced me to at least have it, so I went ahead and made one for myself accounting for elevation changes and some other factors like the start, fade and on which miles I have Gu.

There's no harm in having a pace bracelet.  It's just another data point.  And, the Gu information is good.  I should probably do something like that.  I'm terrible at fueling.

I think my goal for MCM is going to be 3:18 (7:34 pace). 

DaBurger

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhJaKJWkjGnLdDBMbkozT1lfaTVoUk1FeVktUUY1dEE&usp=sharing

Are those actual elevation figures for the miles?  I've been looking for something like that for a while.

Also with fueling, I haven't had any issues opening up a gu and eating it without dropping pace during MP tempos.  I rip the tab off with my teeth, then just eat it slowly over about 1/8-1/4 mile.  If you don't try and eat it all at once, it's not too hard to eat and not run out of breath.

Know thyself.

senatj

Thanks for the pace spreadsheet dbilenkin - nice job on that!  Since you and I have the same goal, this is helpful to me as is.  3:30 is my goal, but that is probably more for a flat and fast course.  3:35 may be a more realistic goal for me in this marathon!  My plan is to run at 8:00 pace, but not worry too much about it. If I'm on a hill, then I just keep the same effort (which will be slower).  What I have read many times and know from my hilly local area - is that you can't gain back on the downhill what is lost on the up hill.   But hey, maybe I will surprise myself.  I do feel like the Hansons plan has prepared me well - even with the controversial 16 mile max run.

In other news, I received this email today:

Congrats Marathoner!

You have been selected to receive an honorary ASICS Mini Marathoner statue for participating in the 2014 TCS New York City Marathon. 

You will be able to pick up your statue at the marathon expo in New York prior to race day...

This is for the bobble head thing that was discussed a while back.  This should be fun.

Julia1971

Congrats Marathoner!

You have been selected to receive an honorary ASICS Mini Marathoner statue for participating in the 2014 TCS New York City Marathon. 

You will be able to pick up your statue at the marathon expo in New York prior to race day...

Awesome. 

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Are those actual elevation figures for the miles?  I've been looking for something like that for a while.

Also with fueling, I haven't had any issues opening up a gu and eating it without dropping pace during MP tempos.  I rip the tab off with my teeth, then just eat it slowly over about 1/8-1/4 mile.  If you don't try and eat it all at once, it's not too hard to eat and not run out of breath.

Hey, yeah they are based on this link:

http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/sites/default/files/NYC%20Marathon%20Elevation%20Profile_2014.pdf

so as long as I didn't make any mistakes transcribing them, it should be correct. As far as how much the elevation changes affect your pace for each mile, well that's a personal thing, so I have that controlled in a cell labeled "Elevation Factor". The higher the number, the less it affects the change of pace from elevation differences.

I've gotten better with the GU, but I still notice that there is a slight increase in effort/slow down as I take one, so I figured 5 seconds is about right.

senatj, once again you and I are in sync. I also figured if this was a flat marathon, perhaps I would be in 3:30 shape, but to be on the safe side, I am going for a 3:35. When I look at the paces for a 3:30, they look too aggressive and I don't want to blow up like I did for my last marathon at Marine Corps. Besides for a time goal, my other major goal is to try to run a consistent race and not slow down so much at the end.

Oh man, I totally missed the boat on the mini me statues. That's awesome you are getting one!

So I ran my last long run yesterday of just shy of 17, because I wanted to keep to the Hansons 16 mile limit, so now we will see how well this worked. I feel like I'm in pretty good shape, and honestly I'm not that worried about not having run longer. But maybe I'll be cursing myself at mile 20 in a few weeks Smile

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks for the pace spreadsheet dbilenkin - nice job on that!  Since you and I have the same goal, this is helpful to me as is.  3:30 is my goal, but that is probably more for a flat and fast course.  3:35 may be a more realistic goal for me in this marathon!  My plan is to run at 8:00 pace, but not worry too much about it. If I'm on a hill, then I just keep the same effort (which will be slower).  What I have read many times and know from my hilly local area - is that you can't gain back on the downhill what is lost on the up hill.   But hey, maybe I will surprise myself.  I do feel like the Hansons plan has prepared me well - even with the controversial 16 mile max run.

Congrats Marathoner!

This is for the bobble head thing that was discussed a while back.  This should be fun.

Nice.  I was not selected, boo!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I figured I'd share it here and if you are interested you can make a copy and make it your own. You just have to change your goal time at the top, and then whatever other time factors you want to change around in the "Other Factors" column, and everything should then self adjust.  I used the following elevation chart:

I don't guarantee I didn't make any mistakes, so use at your own risk

(Just click on File -> Make a copy):

Or, you can go and buy one from one of a number of sites for $5 or $10 or so.

Let me know if you have any questions.

The doc won't let me edit.  Do I need to copy it first or just opening is enough?  Thanks for this!

Nevermind!  figured it out!

Damaris

Julia1971

Nice.  I was not selected, boo!

Ryan Hall got one.  (It's hard to read but I think he's in Corral 13).