2014 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 532 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ryan Hall got one.  (It's hard to read but I think he's in Corral 13).

Pfffttt.  Favoritism.

Damaris

senatj

Hey everyone, so I've been going back and forth on whether to use a pace bracelet, but I think Goorun finally convinced me to at least have it, so I went ahead and made one for myself accounting for elevation changes and some other factors like the start, fade and on which miles I have Gu.

I figured I'd share it here and if you are interested you can make a copy and make it your own. You just have to change your goal time at the top, and then whatever other time factors you want to change around in the "Other Factors" column, and everything should then self adjust.  I used the following elevation chart:

http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/sites/default/files/NYC%20Marathon%20Elevation%20Profile_2014.pdf

I was checking out your pace spreadsheet last night and I had a thought.  The spreadsheet only takes the beginning and ending elevation into account, but not the changes within the mile.  For instance, mile 15 to 16 is only a 13 ft increase, but we have a rather large hill during that mile.  120 ft over 3/4 of a mile.  My area is hilly, but I don't have anything this big (or steep) near me.  This one might hurt.  A while back I was looking at various people's Garmin results for last years marathon, and I remember seeing some really slow paces during that mile.

Dad, Runner, Programmer

I was checking out your pace spreadsheet last night and I had a thought.  The spreadsheet only takes the beginning and ending elevation into account, but not the changes within the mile.  For instance, mile 15 to 16 is only a 13 ft increase, but we have a rather large hill during that mile.  120 ft over 3/4 of a mile.  My area is hilly, but I don't have anything this big (or steep) near me.  This one might hurt.  A while back I was looking at various people's Garmin results for last years marathon, and I remember seeing some really slow paces during that mile.

Hey senatj, you are definitely right. Even though there is a downhill after that uphill, it never makes up for the slowness of the uphill. I guess in those places, perhaps adding several seconds in the "Other Factors" column would be in order. I see a little bit of that in some of the other miles as well like 8 to 9 and 13 to 14, maybe I need to make a few adjustments.

On an entirely other subject, has anyone heard about their corral/wave? I thought that was supposed to be out by now.

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Waves/corrals are in!

And for the third (out of three) time, I get Green.

Damaris

senatj

Orange Wave 1 Corral E for me.  I was kind of assuming wave 2 with my 3:30 estimate.

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Waves/corrals are in!

And for the third (out of three) time, I get Green.

Where? I can't find it anywhere

Sorry, found it. I didn't realize I needed to download my registration form and it was in there, if anyone else had trouble, although it's probably just me

Orange Wave 1 Corral F

So can anyone explain what this means? If I know someone in the same wave but different corral, can I still hang out with them before the race?

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You need to be in the same color because each color has a different section.  Once you get to your color, all waves are there until it's time to head to the corrals, so you could hang out with friends in the same color.  Unless I have forgotten how it is.  But I ran it last year and in 2011 so I should, right?

Damaris

Julia1971

Blue Wave 1 Corral F.

Re the corral colors and moving back, I don't think it matters.  Last year, TakeAHike moved back to run with me.  He had been assigned to green and I was in blue.

As far as hanging out with them before the race, the Athlete's Village - where the bag check, tents, first line of port-a-porties, and the Dunkin Donuts hat distributor - is open.  So, you could hang out with someone who is in another color corral in those locations.  But, once you head to your corral, (the places labelled "corral" on the map) you need to be where you want to be for the race.  Does that make sense?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Blue Wave 1 Corral F.

Re the corral colors and moving back, I don't think it matters.  Last year, TakeAHike moved back to run with me.  He had been assigned to green and I was in blue.

As far as hanging out with them before the race, the Athlete's Village - where the bag check, tents, first line of port-a-porties, and the Dunkin Donuts hat distributor - is open.  So, you could hang out with someone who is in another color corral in those locations.  But, once you head to your corral, (the places labelled "corral" on the map) you need to be where you want to be for the race.  Does that make sense?

Interesting.  From what I heard, you can only change color if you move back to the next wave.

Damaris

Julia1971

Interesting.  From what I heard, you can only change color if you move back to the next wave.

I've never heard that the wave would make a difference.  But, TakeAHike and I were both in Wave 1.

FWIW, a woman asked the same question on their FB page yesterday and then decided to write NYRR to ask.  Here's what she posted: Just heard back from NYRR via email: "You can move back to a different color start. You do not have to stay in Green." 

Dbilenkin, You can always write them and ask.  They seem very responsive.

Goorun

Orange wave 1, coral A.

I was so looking forward to this race but the injury will prevent me from running well. I have not run in 10 days in attempt to get healthy enough to run at all. I'm probably in only 3:05-08 shape as of today.

It still should be a great experience and I will try to enjoy it.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

DaBurger

Blue wave 1 corral A

I thought the general idea with changing your starting location was you could only move to a start with higher bib numbers.

This shows the Bib numbers assigned to waves, so if you were bib 3500, you could move to start with bib 4500 which would move you from Green to Blue, while still staying in wave 1.

Know thyself.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I've never heard that the wave would make a difference.  But, TakeAHike and I were both in Wave 1.

FWIW, a woman asked the same question on their FB page yesterday and then decided to write NYRR to ask.  Here's what she posted: Just heard back from NYRR via email: "You can move back to a different color start. You do not have to stay in Green." 

Dbilenkin, You can always write them and ask.  They seem very responsive.

So, I can move to Orange and start over the bridge?  I would like that.  Will I be able to enter in my same wave and corral?

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Blue wave 1 corral A

I thought the general idea with changing your starting location was you could only move to a start with higher bib numbers.

This shows the Bib numbers assigned to waves, so if you were bib 3500, you could move to start with bib 4500 which would move you from Green to Blue, while still staying in wave 1.

But I am 54K, the last of the green color wave 3.  Where would I move in Wave 3?  Sigh, sounds like I won't be able to.  Unless it means orange for me.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I asked.  My friend is Wave 3,Orange F, same thing, different color.  Hoping to see if I can move to hers instead of her having move to me.

Damaris