2014 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 532 times)

Julia1971

Quick process related question.  I've run a handful of marathons but the only large one so far was the MCM.  This will be my first experience with waves/corrals in a race of this field size.

Does the entire wave get released at the same time with everyone just sorted in the ascending corrals, or does each corral within the wave get a separate start every few minutes?

I guess the heart of my question is how bad is the congestion on the course at the start?  I remember the MCM being extremely crowded until around the first river crossing (I was lined up for a 9:00 min/mile, about where I am for NYC).  I realize MCM might be a different animal all together given the individual seeding and the common start.

Thanks

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  And, I'm basing this on my one experience last year in Blue Wave 1 and my first MCM this past Sunday.

No, the entire wave isn't released all at once, it's a bit more controlled than that...  At a certain point before the race - maybe a half hour? - they start walking each corral in the Wave to the bridge.  There was maybe a minute or two lag between when each corral started walking.  At some point during the walk, the rope or whatever that separates the corrals are removed, but you're so packed in that it's hard to move up a lot but you can move up a little.

NYCM is pretty congested the whole way.  But, you're mostly running with people who are your pace so it's not like MCM where you literally have slow runners/walkers at the front.  Given how hard the back part of the course is, it's probably a good thing to hang back at the beginning.

Is it time for the "Weather" part of the discussion yet?  Forecast (as of Weds) is for 38 degrees Saturday nite, and 47 for the high on Race Day.   Hopefully the rain is indeed out of there by Sunday morning!  I personally have no intention of bringing a drop bag, so i'm thinking of perhaps wearing some 'throw away" clothes to the start to stay warm in the morning?

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=New+York&state=NY&site=OKX&lat=40.7198&lon=-73.993#.VFDEpvnF98E

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

DaBurger

I don't think rain will be an issue, but can you get rid of that 20 mph headwind?

Know thyself.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Is it time for the "Weather" part of the discussion yet?  Forecast (as of Weds) is for 38 degrees Saturday nite, and 47 for the high on Race Day.   Hopefully the rain is indeed out of there by Sunday morning!  I personally have no intention of bringing a drop bag, so i'm thinking of perhaps wearing some 'throw away" clothes to the start to stay warm in the morning?.

Sounds perfect.

BTW: don't get conned  by all the people and signs trying to convince you that "this [holding area] is the last chance to donate clothing".  Just keep it on until you're in front of the bridge.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

senatj

Is it time for the "Weather" part of the discussion yet?  Forecast (as of Weds) is for 38 degrees Saturday nite, and 47 for the high on Race Day.   Hopefully the rain is indeed out of there by Sunday morning!  I personally have no intention of bringing a drop bag, so i'm thinking of perhaps wearing some 'throw away" clothes to the start to stay warm in the morning?

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=New+York&state=NY&site=OKX&lat=40.7198&lon=-73.993#.VFDEpvnF98E

I just read this on the "forecast discussion" link - from your link:

THE STORM EXITS FAIRLY QUICKLY TO THE NE SUNDAY...FOR NOW HAVE
            SLIGHT CHANCE POPS FOR -SHRA/-SHSN OVER FAR EASTERN ZONES SUNDAY
            MORNING...BUT WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF SUNDAY ENDED UP BEING DRY
            THROUGHOUT. SUNDAY WILL BE QUITE GUSTY WITH NW WINDS GUSTING UP TO
            30-40 MPH QUITE POSSIBLE.

Those gusts don't sound like fun.  I'm going to bundle up like I'm going to the North pole.  I've been known to get the shivers while waiting around for cold race starts - and this is a long wait.  Then I'll shed down to shorts and a tee shirt (with hat and gloves and hand warmers).  I'll keep a zippered sweatshirt that I can discard easily after the first few miles.  Its a good time to get rid of all the old junk in my closet!

So my question is:  How do I handle my bib?  I assume it needs to be visible at all times during the wait.  Do I need to move it from coat to sweatshirt to tee shirt?

drifter

I'm working on it. You are welcome.

I don't think rain will be an issue, but can you get rid of that 20 mph headwind?

Nasreddin Hoja

So my question is:  How do I handle my bib?  I assume it needs to be visible at all times during the wait.  Do I need to move it from coat to sweatshirt to tee shirt?

It could be brutal.  Esp on the bridges and on city streets where the wind gets funneled.  We're going with clear plastic trash bags.  So security can see the bib.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

And halt the new NYCM tradition before it really gets its teeth into reputation?

Julia1971

Senatj, I will probably wear mine on the outside until we're on the bridge.  Fussing with my bib is my latest pre-race stress reliever.

I'm packing for the weekend tonight and am going to bring a lot of different clothing options because I am really hoping the forecast changes.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The weather looks great (except for that pesky wind) and the windchills are nice too (mid 30s, though).  Please get rid of that wind.  Thank you!

I just hope my bib does not fall off from all that wind.  I have run in 20mph winds and the bib broke at least once during the race.

Damaris

NYCM is pretty congested the whole way.  But, you're mostly running with people who are your pace so it's not like MCM where you literally have slow runners/walkers at the front.  Given how hard the back part of the course is, it's probably a good thing to hang back at the beginning.

Given the weather wind reports, maybe running in congestion isn't so bad.  I remember running along the point at the MCM a few years back when Sandy was bearing down and wishing there were more people to "draft" behind

PRs:  5K:  21:52 10/14/1210K:  48:04 4/6/13,  HM:  1:43:13 4/28/13M:  4:02:23 5/26/13

Marathon Progression: 4:44:23 5/29/11,   4:20:08 5/27/12,   4:06:44 10/28/12,  4:02:23 5/26/13

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Given the weather wind reports, maybe running in congestion isn't so bad.  I remember running along the point at the MCM a few years back when Sandy was bearing down and wishing there were more people to "draft" behind

Last year we had a similar headwind.  To be honest, over the bridges and 1st ave, that's where you felt it.  Otherwise, it's barely noticeable.  And be a friend, not like the wind-sail in front of me at 1st Ave who kept weaving like a drunk -- just accept your role as a PR facilitator.

Nasreddin Hoja

Goorun

So we are here (staying around 10 and 42nd West).  Will walk to the expo in about hour. We took train from Newark to NY Penn station and walked from there. It is cold and windy. I hate wind. Any FE plans?

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Nasreddin Hoja

. Any FE plans?

check your PMs Smile