2014 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 532 times)

Goorun

Yes it was brutal. My training wasn't there due to injuries (I'm still technically injured) and I still tried at least sub 3, which I have no business doing. Add the conditions and after the split at 1:30: xx I paid for my foolishness. 3:14: xx of a very painful marathon.

It was still overall unreal experience, mostly because of the fantastic crowd support. UNBELIEVABLE.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Goorun

This man has an impressively unfair start at No-shave No-vember.

I applaud your style, sir.

+1

and congrats on a great race (dbilenkin),  new PR in better conditions for sure.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Wow - what slow splits in New York...

Wind. Serious wind. Hope our folks survived, if not thrived.

Yeah, I heard the commentators (on eurosport) say that the wind was 40 gusting to 70 when the elite men were crossing that bridge (Pulaski, I think) from B to Q.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

ymmv

Yeah, I heard the commentators (on eurosport) say that the wind was 40 gusting to 70 when the elite men were crossing that bridge (Pulaski, I think) from B to Q.

kilometers per hour?

Feeling the growl again

40th place was 2:57?  Either the weather was shockingly bad or the race was shockingly shallow in talent.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Julia1971

Race report is up.  I'm tired so it's not one of my best.  I may edit it overnight with more details.

Congratulations everyone!  Tough conditions today.  Rest up!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Great RR, Julia.  Congrats on the amazing feat with your feet.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Goorun

Great RR Julia. I'm sure the Frenchman was hitting on you.

Good description of the race/conditions. You ran it way better than I did and actually ran the last few miles faster than I did. It's not that easy to run back to back marathons well. You passed with flying colours.

Yay for the picture too.

Goorun

40th place was 2:57?  Either the weather was shockingly bad or the race was shockingly shallow in talent.

I'll go with the weather, that Way I could feel better about my shitty performance. (It's probably part of the both).

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Someone at letsrun alleged that NYRR had the results wrong, with way too slow times listed way up front, on both genders.

But their US runner rankings

do have the 40th place female at 2:58

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Someone at letsrun alleged that NYRR had the results wrong, with way too slow times listed way up front, on both genders.

But their US runner rankings

do have the 40th place female at 2:58

Yeah, that looks more like it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Goorun, thanks! Now that it's the next day looking back at my splits and thinking about the conditions, I'm not too upset. Good job out there, even though you didn't get the time you wanted. It doesn't sound like anyone did. I agree about the crowd support. I mean fine we are running in this thing, but all of the people out there cheering in this weather?! It was great to see!

Julia, great race report as usual. Congrats on your back-to-back marathons. With how I am feeling today, the thought of doing another one of these in less than a week, sounds crazy! Let alone going for a time. So major props to you!

And finally, here is the short video I took on the Verrazano. Just listen to that wind!!

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

Julia1971

Goorun, I hope you're recovering well today...  The crowds were unbelievable.  And, I think I read or heard there weren't as many people out this year due to the cold...  This is going to seem obvious coming from me but, I'd rather aim too high and suffer than aim to low and wonder.  It can be painful, though.  And demoralizing.  After MCM, I was thinking that there is probably a limit to the number of times I can pull myself out of that blowing up at Mile 20 misery.  I need to "fix" this before my next marathon.  What's next for you?

Amores, The bridge was brutal.  If the readings in the Park were 20 mph gusts than I would guess 40 mph winds on the bridge yesterday.  There was stuff blowing all over the place.  Lots of mylar blankets and fleece ended up in the river yesterday.

Stadjak, Thanks!  That explains why my feet were killing me yesterday.  Smile

Dbilenkin, Wow!  That took me back.  If only there was temperature-o-vision to go with it.  So cold.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Nice race report Julia! I've been lurking on this thread. I was there cheering between mile 3 and 4...that wind was no joke! 

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

senatj

Hi everyone,

3:39 for me yesterday.  It was such an amazing event.  For the first half I didn't want it to ever end.  The crowd support in Brooklyn was beyond amazing.  I had my name on my shirt so everyone was cheering and yelling my name.  The Queensboro bridge was not so much fun, but I knew that!  But then coming on to 1st Ave was just amazing.

It was very hard at the end - I think I was a bit over exuberant in Brooklyn and paid the price later.  At the time I did not care, high fiving all the kids and having a great time!  But those last 5 miles were a slog - I was so happy to see that finish line.  Just a great day!