2014 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 532 times)

jfa

Nice running everyone in crazy conditions.

Glad you enjoyed the experience, if not your race times.There's nothing quite like NY.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Wow that was a windy and cold day!

I had a great race as the official 4:15 pacer.  Got my group to 4:14:08.  I had a rough mile 22 where I thought I was done, but my gatorade chomp things and a banana turned everything around in a record 5 minutes or so and I was fresh and new going through Central Park to the end.

Really hard to keep an even 9:43 pace with all that wind but I adjust each mile and everything worked out.

Happy to have another NYCM under my belt!  Congrats to everyone who raced!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

Julia1971

Mendeldave, I would think it was a tough day for pacers.  During the mile or two that I was with the 3:25 guy, I did notice he had to surge a lot to make up for the wind and crowds.  Thanks for all your advice, too.

Joe, There is nothing quite like New York.  I'm already thinking about next year.

Senatj, Did you get your mini marathoner statue?

Kristin10185, Thanks for cheering.  The spectators are a huge part of what makes this race so moving and memorable.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

kilometers per hour?

Miles per hour.

Damaris

My first time running NY, what an Experience.  In one sentence:  It was like a city of several million all coming together for a block party. But I imagine many of you previous NYC'ers already knew that. :-)    My time personally was a PW, (started getting a sick feeling at about mile 16 on the bridge that lasted a good while)  but not worried about that slow time in the least.

This turned out to be a bit more than a race for me.   I went from a person who was raised in wide open spaces and a little apprehensive about traveling to a city as big as NYC, to a person who thoroughly enjoyed all that NYC had to offer.     A couple posters here may remember that I was initially a little worried about how to travel around the city, etc...  Pffft, piece of cake, what was I worried about, lol.   I came out of the Waldorf after we arrived on Saturday and asked the doorman "Do the Taxi's take credit cards"?  I really had no clue, I didn't know if they did or not!  He laughed, and immediately knew I was a tourist :-)   Had great times with the wife and one of my teen sons who came along and loved it.

So to end, Awesome City, Absolutely Awesome Race!  I have a completely different perspective on New York City Now.  Thanks Julia1971 for firing up this thread months ago for the great discussion.  I hope everyone had a superb race!

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

So to end, Awesome City, Absolutely Awesome Race!  I have a completely different perspective on New York City Now.

Yes, it no longer has the teeth it did as late as the early 90s.  But *shhh* don't tell any of your country folk.

Glad you had a great time.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Julia1971

The 49 Best Signs from the New York City Marathon

I remember seeing some of these on the course.  From the slide show, I liked:

• Seems like a lot of work for a free poncho
                • Pain is temporary.  Internet race results last forever.
                Julia1971

K L Duke, Glad you found your way around the okay.  This race has also changed my opinion about NYC.  I try to remind myself that visiting a place as a tourist is a lot different than living there but I was a little sad that I was leaving.

I planned on this race being a "one and done" when I started applying 4 yrs ago, but 2 days post-race, I'd like to do it again.  My best Marathon is a 3:59: xx so I can't get in on qualifying times...  The "3 declines and 4th you are in" option now gone....   Maybe I donate $10.00 to the "registration" process each year and hope my number comes up again.  Just a great experience.

Oh, a half-way entertaining video from USA today on the Marathon folks attempting to get down to subway level, when the legs are locked up and you try to descend stairs:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/11/new-york-city-marathon-post-race-walking-stairs

PS.. Julia, read your race report, was great!  And the pic of that MCM medal... Makes me want to do that one again as well... Oh boy, getting in over my head again..!

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Happy you all enjoyed my city Smile we were happy to have you as well! Marathon weekend is so special here. New Yorkers really love it! Love having people from all over the world here enjoying the city! I cannot wait to run this next year as my first full! 

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

ultramarathon/triathlete

I planned on this race being a "one and done" 

I once had that thought too.  This was my 9th NYCM and I plan to keep on going as long as I'm able to at least hobble through!  Only 6 more years before I get guaranteed entry just by hitting 15 lol.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                        Gatorade Endurance Team

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

No, 40 to 70 wind speed was in kilometres.  Official NYRR website gave the weather at the start as follows:

43°F, 48% humidity, sustained wind 31 mph (50 kmh), gusts to 45 mph (72 kmh), wind chill 32°F

Miles per hour.

Goorun

Goorun,  What's next for you?

Tokyo marathon in February and Boston in April. Hopefully I'll be in a better shape.

So we are back home and reflecting on the experience. IT WAS FANTASTIC.

We talked about the race, but we had a few awesome days after too. Weather was great on Monday and Tuesday. Myself and wife went to the Top of The Rock at Rockefeller Centre (what a views) , Ground Zero (still feels like a bad dream for this outsider), walked through the Central park, Brooklyn Bridge, Chinatown, Soho, East village ..., ate some great food (at Junior's and at Tony's DiNapoli, both close to Time Square). Saw a Broadway show (Aladdin - loved it). I also though that this would be one and done marathon. We already know we will be back.

Thanks everybody who posted in this thread. It was a great help.

The last about my race.

NYC Marathon 2014
                            Top 10 Men AG 60-64

1. Jerry Hammervold    USA 3:00:11
                            2. Jorge Fletes              MEX 3:08:01
                            3. Peter Camenzind      SUI 3:09:49
                            4. Peter Hall                  AUS 3:09:50
                            5. Yasumiro Makoshi   JPN 3:13:03
                            6. John Harley             GBR 3:14:07
                            7. Victor Mladenka       CAN 3:14:42
                            8. Andreas Werder      SUI 3:15:56
                            9. John Shostrom        USA 3:16:41
                            10. Kerry Green          USA 3:18:05

I know, that most of these old guys still can run sub 3. It was not a day for it. (I'm Canadian in the results at #7).

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Julia1971

Goorun, Wow.  Top 10 AG at NYCM.    I am so impressed.  It was not a day for super fast times so that's a fantastic placement, IMHO.  Glad you also had fun in the City.  (I did Les Miserable, The Guggenheim, and the Met).

Siha

...special offer spam...