Interval watch recommendations? (Read 4407 times)

zer0vector

I'm looking for a watch that you can set to beep on non-regular intervals (like 2 minutes then 5 minutes then 2 etc...).  I'm not interested in a heart rate monitor or GPS, just a good solid running watch that can time and do intervals, and hopefully doesn't cost too much.  Anybody have good recommendations?
    JimR

The only piece of technology a runner needs:

I'll second the Ironman, I think I paid about $40.00 at Walmart?  The Flix feature is really nice if you run in the dark, you just flick your wrist and the backlight comes on.  And the audio alert is MUCH louder than the lame-assed feeble beep of a Garmin, which makes a big difference when running on roads with a lot of traffic noise.

There is also the Gymboss, it clips onto your waistband.  It has the option to beep and/or vibrate.  The vibrate option is nice if you're using an mp3 player.  Cheaper than the Ironman too.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

There is also the Gymboss, it clips onto your waistband.  It has the option to beep and/or vibrate.  The vibrate option is nice if you're using an mp3 player.  Cheaper than the Ironman too.

I use the GYMBOSS specifically for his purpose and it really works well.   Cost $20 and you can clip in on your running shorts and it will beep/vibrate when its time to change...  Easy to use.....easy to set up .......

Pretty good deal.......

Champions are made when no one is watching

jayvee33

There are a lot of different Timex Ironman models and not all of them have multiple interval timers that you are looking for.   I have a model similar to Timex OVA Ironman T5E431 specifically for the 2 interval timers so I could do the 3-min hard/2-min easy/3-min hard/2-min/ easy/... type workouts.  It's $39 at Amazon but I think I got mine for about $30 last year.

I'm not crazy about the OVA (optimum viewing angle) where it fits so the watch face is on the narrow side of the wrist but I do like having the Start/Lap button on top where it is easier for me to hit with my index finger without looking.  Also, I don't think you can replace the band because it is integrated with the watch but that has not been an issue for me yet.

Prince of Fatness

clip in on your running shorts and it will beep/vibrate

Pretty good deal.......

Wait.  What?

Not at it at all. 

kcam

There are a lot of different Timex Ironman models and not all of them have multiple interval timers that you are looking for.   I have a model similar to Timex OVA Ironman T5E431 specifically for the 2 interval timers so I could do the 3-min hard/2-min easy/3-min hard/2-min/ easy/... type workouts.  It's $39 at Amazon but I think I got mine for about $30 last year.

I'm not crazy about the OVA (optimum viewing angle) where it fits so the watch face is on the narrow side of the wrist but I do like having the Start/Lap button on top where it is easier for me to hit with my index finger without looking.  Also, I don't think you can replace the band because it is integrated with the watch but that has not been an issue for me yet.

This would be a good feature to have.  I use my Garmin for daily runs but last night I ran in a mile race on the track and didn't want all the track runners to think I was a Garmin dufus (which I am) so I wore my old Timex Triathlon.  But I didn't get any lap timing or final timing from my Timex because, in my oxygen-deprived state, I was hitting the wrong button at each lap.  Ding-Dong.

Wait.  What?

I didn't say the vibration 'feels' good --- I said it works well.....you can hear it and feel it..........

LOL --- check it out...its a little square timer with a clip so you can set it however you want it....like 5 mins and 1 min and then do fast run/slow run or run/walk or what ever.....and then it will both beep and vibrate so you know when to change your pace....

Champions are made when no one is watching

The only piece of technology a runner needs:

Great watch, I have that one and extra one (all black) I got the battery replaced on, but the indiglo stopped working.

Timex has an awesome replacement policy  .  I shipped them 2 watches and got 3 back!

Vim

JimR

Great watch, I have that one and extra one (all black) I got the battery replaced on, but the indiglo stopped working.

Timex has an awesome replacement policy  .  I shipped them 2 watches and got 3 back!

The indiglo didn't last long on mine either.  I didn't care much tho, I never used that feature much.  Sure is nice having storage for 120 splits tho.  Two battery replacements, this is my 4th strap but it seems a lot more resilient than the ones it replaced.  The original strap and two replacements never made it a year each.  This one's well into year 2 and no problem.  I shower with it on after my noon runs.

zer0vector

Thanks for all the info!  I just ordered a Timex Ironman off Amazon.
                          Minor threadjack: my Timex Ironman 100 lap stopped making any sounds earlier this year.  Cheaper to replace it or to send it to Timex for repair?

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

zer0vector

Great purchase so far.  I'm really liking it, and I'm wearing just around as a watch too.  Question: Is there a way to start the Chrono and the interval timers at the same time?
                            jannacastaneda

Well, i can say that Polar and Timex will help since they don't charge that much, you can also benefit from other features.

You can read objective reviews or running watch in here: http://www.runningwatchreviews.com/

usually, i look at that page since they write detailed feature and the technical terms are explained. I like it since i have not much of a knowledge about it.

Hope that helps, you may also check specific timer watch page here: runners watch with alarm

<input type="hidden" id="gwProxy" />

Minor threadjack: my Timex Ironman 100 lap stopped making any sounds earlier this year.  Cheaper to replace it or to send it to Timex for repair?

I suggest sending it in.

Vim