Kindle (Read 961 times)

Why is it sideways?

I bought 6 books this week at a used book store, 2 hardcover and 4 paperback, total cost $18.

Sometimes I exchange books I have read with my son or lend them to friends.

They do not break if dropped, are easy to read in bright sunlight if you put on sunglasses, and battery consumption is excellent.

I can stick something called a `bookmark`between the pages to indicate how far I have read.

Seems to work well for me.

If you speak Spanish, you will enjoy this.

Feeling the growl again

I bought 6 books this week at a used book store, 2 hardcover and 4 paperback, total cost $18.

Sometimes I exchange books I have read with my son or lend them to friends.

They do not break if dropped, are easy to read in bright sunlight if you put on sunglasses, and battery consumption is excellent.

I can stick something called a `bookmark`between the pages to indicate how far I have read.

Seems to work well for me.

As home, this works well.  Though finding used books would require some driving for me.

I love the Kindle for travel, however.  I can carry enough books for an extended trip without filling up and weighing down my carry-on or forcing me to check a bag...I like to travel light for business.  If I get stuck in an airport and finish a book I can simply download another instead of hoping there is an (overpriced) bookstore in my terminal and losing my prime spot at the gate.  Also, I can almost always find the old book I'm looking for, versus being stuck with whatever I can find used on the shelf.

When I got snowed in in NY last year I polished off 2 books I did not have when I got there, without leaving the bar.  

I have tried an iPad with the Kindle app.  There is no comparison; the e-ink format is lightyears above the tablets for reading.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

12-week layoff

This has been The Year of the Nook for my family...starting with my Color Nook for mother's day, and ending with my daughter's birthday Nook today.  I also bought an e-ink Nook for myself, as the color Nook is great for magazines, but sucks battery power.  Our local library offers e-lending for Nook and Kindle, so we can really save a lot of money...

Or not, as previous posters have mentioned, you tend to buy more books when you don't have to actually GO anywhere and whip out your wallet. 

Anyway, put me in the fan column of e-readers.  In fact, I am a literature and English teacher, and we are applying for grants to purchase e-readers for our classes, because the eventual savings will be so great.  Paperbacks are not made to last.

I have just been using Kindle apps on my iPad and phone. I love how your place is automatically saved and my last page read is synced across devices so I can continue reading on whatever device I happen to pick up. But I can also insert a bookmark if I want.

The Kindle app has a built in dictionary, which I love. I assume the actual Kindles have the same sort of thing? Also like the ability to highlight passages and write notes.

This thread has pretty much convinced me to get an e-ink Kindle. Trying to decide between Kindle Touch or Kindle with Keyboard ...

xor

Ah.

Birthday nook.

The finest kind.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

This thread has pretty much convinced me to get an e-ink Kindle. Trying to decide between Kindle Touch or Kindle with Keyboard ...

I'd go with the touch.  They're both $99, but the one with the keyboard is pretty bulktastic in comparison.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Is it Pixel of Ink? I've gotten many free and cheap ebooks through that site. They also have a site for kids too -- Pixel of Ink Young Edition.

She's subscribed to http://fkbt.wordpress.com.  I'll send her yours.  Thanks.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

kcam

I bought my Dad a Kindle a few years ago for his birthday and he loves it.  Still uses the same one today.  I finally broke down and bought the cheapest Sony reader they had at the time.  No wireless connection (have to hook it up to a computer to put content on it) but, man I love that thing.  I mostly just check out e-books from the library.  I am definitely a fan of e-ink readers.

sincerely silly

I have just been using Kindle apps on my iPad and phone. I love how your place is automatically saved and my last page read is synced across devices so I can continue reading on whatever device I happen to pick up. But I can also insert a bookmark if I want.

The Kindle app has a built in dictionary, which I love. I assume the actual Kindles have the same sort of thing? Also like the ability to highlight passages and write notes.

Yup on the Kindle you scroll the cursor onto the word and the dictionary definition should pop up. 

The keyboard is kind of bulky but it's a perfect fit for me since I also like playing KenKen, doing crosswords, and most games feel better with button controls.  Haha I know that gaming on the Kindle isn't exactly a priority for most...but I'm willing to bet crosswords on the Kindle touch is really annoying!  So it's important if that might be important to you. :-) The Kindle also has notepad apps and some calendar/planner apps (I haven't tried any of those) to consider. 

Just throwing that out there again since most people I know didn't even know you could do things other than read on a Kindle. :-) They're secondary distractions sure, but add to the whole package.

If you've never been tempted by smart phones or playing games on them, then get the Kindle Touch. :-)

shin splints are my nemesis

When I got snowed in in NY last year I polished off 2 books I did not have when I got there, without leaving the bar.  

Best reason to get an e-reader.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If you speak Spanish, you will enjoy this.

Yeah, so it doesn't require batteries or electronics and it's mobile and all, but how often do you have to oil the moving parts, huh? I think he forgot to mention that.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

keeponrunning

You know you are out of touch with technology when the first thing you thing of when you see 'kindle' is firewood....

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

xor

(what's the first thing I thought of when I thought of nook?  Oh yeah.)

#artbydmcbride

(what's the first thing I thought of when I thought of nook?  Oh yeah.)

Breakfast spot?

Runners run