Running in the rain (Read 846 times)

Swadvad

I usually avoid running in the rain for obvious reasons, mainly because I'm a wimp! It's raining tonight. I don't have a treadmill or gym membership, but need some stress relief. If you run in the rain, what, if anything do you do differently?

A Saucy Wench

Running in the rain is the best. No better conditions than a light rain Wear a baseball cap to keep the water out of your eyes and have fun.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

My group ran in the rain yesterday, and it was great. Just be sure to change your socks soon after to prevent chafing and blisters! I love running in the rain on hot, humid days - it cools me off and lets me go further than I normally would.
        "If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want - Why? Because (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume, (b) you deserve it, and (c) you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway." ~ Don Kardong
        RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I usually avoid running in the rain for obvious reasons, mainly because I'm a wimp! It's raining tonight. I don't have a treadmill or gym membership, but need some stress relief. If you run in the rain, what, if anything do you do differently?
          Take an umbrella... the extra resistance counts towards strength and flexibility training. Clowning around Aside from the umbrella, a baseball cap is a VERY good idea as well as a thin running jacket (depending on the temps). I also try to avoid running through deep puddles early in the run...

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

I don't do anything different for a rain run than I do for a regular run. As long as you wear tech clothing and avoid cotton you won't even notice fact that you are wet. The only exception is that if the temperature is on the cool side you may want to add a layer, water tends to conduct heat away from your body. I would suggest, for obvious reasons, that you avoid running when there is lightning in the air. Tom
              After running, shove a lot of newspaper in your shoes. Get it tight and the newspaper will absorb the moisture from your shoes. The shoes will be ready for a run by the next day.
                A baseball cap and possibly prep for extra chafing
                  I love running in the rain. Thank goodness because I live in Seattle. Something about it is refreshing and it makes me feel a little tough I guess (since hardly anyone else is out there running). I generally wear a hat and some kind of water resistant jacket.

~Sara
                  It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Future running partner.

For one reason or another, I always start running a little faster in the rain. Something is invigorating about it. I usually keep an older, not too worn backup pair of shoes to run in when it's wet. When shoes get wet they can loose some of their cushioning and they don't last as long. I can remember running hs xc races when it was really wet and the course would have long steep hills. Instead of running down people would be skiing down the muddy hill even with spikes on. If you lost balance you'd just slide down on your @$$. Crazy FUN Big grin

jules2

HTFU, you should try living in England.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Swadvad

England swings like a pendulum do Runners in the rain sloshing two by two Wink
                        Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Or Ireland! You get used to it. Enjoy!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

progman2000

LOOOOVE running in the rain. Light rain is nice but I will run in torrential downpours with a smile. Wear a baseball cap and I'm good to go. The newspapers in the shoe trick works great for drying the shoes out.
                              If you run in the rain, what, if anything do you do differently?
                              Enjoy it twice as much!
                              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                                I enjoy running in the rain. I will usually run longer than planned if it storms - it feels exciting Smile