Midweek Longish Runs? (Read 735 times)

Most years, I've neglected doing a longish (8-10 miles) midweek, though I've been loyal to a weekend long run. I'm thinking of trying to do a better job of fitting that one in this year. Any stories about how getting a somewhat longer run in midweek have helped? I missed Boston by 3 minutes in 07 and ran 5 minutes slower in 08... trying to find the piece of the puzzle to get me over the hurdle.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Go Pre!

if you missed boston by 3 minutes then i personally guarantee that midweek longish runs will get you there this time. run them at marathon race pace or slightly faster. oh, and i am no one to be guaranteeing your success but it sounds good.
      mikeymike

After a winter of religiously running my mid-week medium long runs I ran a 1:17:58 half marathon. Before that my PR was like 1:21. Honestly I think those made more differnce than any single change I've ever made in my running.

Runners run

Think Whirled Peas

Is it better to run just a single mid-week long run, or is throwing an easy 4-5 miler earlier in the day still ok? I run 5 at lunch every day (well will be once I get back into the swing of things) and my Wednesday evenings are set up perfectly for a 10-15 miler after work. Should I just forego the lunchtime run and focus on the mid-long after work?

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

mikeymike

I don't see a problem doing an easy 5 at lunch then a mid-long later in the day as long as you're recovering okay. I've actually done the reverse at times when my schedule allowed--run 13 in in the early morning then an easy 5 at lunch that same day. The thing about the mid-long run is it's, ideally, not a jog. A lot of times I'll do some cruise intervals, or a tempo, or a progression or just a fast finish in that one.

Runners run

Think Whirled Peas

Thanks Mikey. You got me started on them about this time last year, but I didn't have the base to be able to do anything other than run them easy. The plan is to run them this winter and make them my only 'fast' run of the week. The lunchtime run shouldn't hinder this approach too much, assuming I keep the pace easy. Sorry I jumped in on your thread marcus, but I would concur that the mid-week mid-long run can REALLY make a difference for you.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Um, I might be able to answer this better on March 2nd. I'm very deliberately putting in easy midweek long runs.

Prince of Fatness

An increase in total weekly mileage and including the mid week medium / long run was what got me a 3 minute PR in a half last spring. My long runs weren't much different than the time before. The midweek run was 10 - 12 miles with 5 - 6 tempo. I really felt refreshed after those runs.

Not at it at all. 

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I don't think I can say enough about how the midweek medium/long run has helped. First two marathons (only two so far) I was never able to get more than an occasional 9 miler during training. Now I run a 10+ miler every week, plus a slightly longer run on the weekend. They make the long run SO much easier. A 15 miler is no big deal when you've done an 11 miler earlier in the week. Build to this based on how you feel. I am of the opinion that a good solid medium/long run is one of the most important components of a successful training plan. I am going to utterly and completely obliterate my PR this time.
                      Awesome answers.. It's rare to see 100% agreement on ANY thread. I'm putting them in the plan and sticking to them. Thanks to all!

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Best Present Ever

I don't think I can say enough about how the midweek medium/long run has helped. First two marathons (only two so far) I was never able to get more than an occasional 9 miler during training. Now I run a 10+ miler every week, plus a slightly longer run on the weekend. They make the long run SO much easier. A 15 miler is no big deal when you've done an 11 miler earlier in the week. Build to this based on how you feel. I am of the opinion that a good solid medium/long run is one of the most important components of a successful training plan. I am going to utterly and completely obliterate my PR this time.
                        I hope y'all are right because I've been running longer midweek runs and more overall mileage specifically based on the consensus in these parts. But answer me this: how long does it take before the 11 mile mid-week run makes that sat long run feel easier? Because my last 18 miler was a long damn run, and I'm feeling slightly nervous about tomorrow morning's 20 miler.

Forever Learning

Is this your first 20 miler? Was last week your first 18 miler? Over time the 10-13 mile mid-week runs do make the long runs much easier. Pfitzinger plans have mid-week, as he calls them, medium-long runs. I have seen very few people (if any) think a medium-long run midweek is a bad idea. EDIT: Looked at your log and it seems that is the case - first longer runs and not much of a base to start (60-80 mpm). Need to keep the pace closer to your 18 miler and not that 14 miler Wink
                            In addition to just running a midweek MLR, I have become convinced lately that midweek tempos are extremely helpful. I often combine the two, by running 4 to 6 miles, in the middle of a 10 to 13 mile MLR, at the slow end of tempo range. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

In addition to just running a midweek MLR, I have become convinced lately that midweek tempos are extremely helpful. I often combine the two, by running 4 to 6 miles, in the middle of a 10 to 13 mile MLR, at the slow end of tempo range. Bill
                              overachiever!