The Pose (Read 1858 times)

Are you sure about this. Re read what you wrote and tell me if you are sure about it. If you are, go sprint a 100m as fast as you can barefooted preferably while heel striking. If you are still convinced then OK I will not argue with you.
    Bob Glover does a good job in his book, "The Competitive Runner's Handbook", of describing the two basic and very different forms of strides that are used by sprinters and some short distance racers vs. distance runners....the explosive "power stride" which uses the ball-heel footstrike and produces the greatest amount of forward progress/stride vs. the more efficient "shuffle stride" which uses the heel-ball footstrike. He says that, "heel-ball running is particularly recommended for marathon training and racing" and the "ball-heel form may be best for short, intense speed training and races of 5k or less." A heel landing is not only OK, but desireable for most distance runners simply because it is an inherent characteristic of a shuffle stride. A heel strike can be a symptom of overstirding....or not. It depends on the degree of heel strike. What is important is that the heel strike be "lite"....not too far ahead of one's center of gravity and quickly rolling to midfoot by the time one's full weight is applied. A heel strike that is too far forward of one's center of gravity, i.e. "reaching", is overstriding, which results in braking and increased risk of injury. People talk about using a midfoot strike that occurs directly under one's center of gravity. However, many runners who think they are such midfoot strikers are really proper heel strikers....the heel touches first slightly in front of the center of gravity and the foot quickly rolls to midfoot as the body's weight moves forward fully into the support phase of the stride....that's called pronation, which is a natural and desireable shock absorbtion feature of the body's running mechanics. For more extensive opinion on this subject, see the Running Mechanics section of my Running Page at http://www.jim2.net/.

The Greatest of All Time

This is an interesting discussion. I find during 5 and 10K races I am more up on the front, but anything over 1/2 M I am more to the rear but not all the way on the back corner of the heel where so many land. I guess in my case, leg speed has something to do with how my feet land. If any of you have tried on a pair of Newton running shoes those babies get you on the forefoot for sure. I just went to buy some racing shoes on Saturday and bought the new DS Trainers but the guy at the store wanted me to put on a pair of Newtons and run down the sidewalk. There is no way you could run any significant distance in those things if you're a heel striker. I will be interested to see how many pairs of Newtons I see out racing this year. There is not much shoe there for $155.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        This is an interesting discussion. I find during 5 and 10K races I am more up on the front, but anything over 1/2 M I am more to the rear but not all the way on the back corner of the heel where so many land.
        A pattern of one's footstrike point moving forward (heel to midfoot and/or midfoot to forefoot) as pace increases is very common.
        chrimbler

*Thread Hijack*...sorry Undecided mschantz...what are your thoughts on the DS Trainer? I see we use the same shoe (2130) and was thinking of trying the DS. Thanx Chris Now back to your regular viewing
          Run like you stole it!
            Great post, Jim2. As usual. I have no experience with Pose (or Chi), and I'm sure I'll play around with them at some point out of curiosity. But I've found that the more I run, the more my awkward, stumpy body finds its own way of becoming more efficient. After a couple years, I find myself smoother in my motions, feeling like I'm running gentler and easier, and clearly running faster at the same sustained effort. Without any real attempt to actually work on form. I think the 'incremental' model is the way to go and I think it comes about largely through steady, easy training. I'm sure my form could and will be better, but I suspect that letting it happen naturally, or at least slowly, is better than attempting some quick, artificial fix. Besides, there is no one standard form that leads to universal success. Anyone who thinks so should watch Jim Furyk swing a golf club, and read his stories of his early coaches trying to mold his swing. He only hit his potential when he worked on perfecting his own unique - very weird and ugly - form.
            Yeah, what he says. Exactly. Cool
            Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
              Yes, I'm sure. I don't run a marathon barefoot, nor do I do so at 100m speed. Heel striking in and of itself is not a problem. Overstriding is, which is marked by heel striking. However, just because you are a heel striker does not mean you are overstriding. Quick response to the issue. Foot strike and shock absorption. Bottom line is that there is no reason to think that heel striking is "bad".
              I did not say you ran or run a marathon barefoot, or you did so at 100m speed. You said and I quote "And for the record HEEL STRIKING IS NOT BAD. In fact, it is no better or worse than any other type of foot strike. It is no faster, it is no more efficient, it is no more economical than a mid- or forefoot strike. OVERSTRIDING is bad." I do not think most people can run as fast landing on their heels as on the balls of their feet hence my question. For the record, I DO NOT ADVOCATE THAT ANY ONE SHOULD CHANGE THEIR NATURAL GAIT. In my case, I land on the balls of my feet whether I am running 100m or 26 miles. I do not land on my heels ever. I have a son 9 YO and he runs the same. I have had people convince me to do other wise and it was a disaster. I know many people who run like me and I hate when I hear folks starting to tell people to run other wise. While I have found many of Dr. Romonov's ideas useful for myself, I do not agree with him saying the Pose method is perfect for all. I fundamentally disagree with people like the coach you referenced in your article telling people who are natural fore foot strikers about adjusting based on the distance they are running. Every one should do what is natural. One of those site referenced earlier that analyzed Pose (too lazy to check) claim that Haile runs heel toe. That is such a lie I cannot believe some one would post that on the net and continue to get away with it. I have written to him asking that he contact Haile and have him comment on the issue. I am still awaiting a response. Scot if you are running heel toe and you are happy with it fine. Just as bad as it is for one to suggest fore foot strike is best similarly I detest folks going over board stretching the truth to discredit fore foot strike or toe running. I run that way it is fine for me and more power to those who are happy as heel strikers or heel to toe or fore foot then back to heel. Now if you want to have an intellectual discussion about the physiological advantages or disadvantages of either style fine
              C-R

Interesting discussion with some good points. Scout7 - I agree with the overstriding comment which by the way you can do when attempting to run on the ball of the foot too. This leads to some eccentric loading of the achilles and is not a good thing (personal experience). Mr. R made a statement that I don't understand fully and perhaps he or the rest of the group can answer. He stated that "puuling with the hamstring is downright dangerous". Why? Is it not designed to curl the lower leg? What is the reason behind the thought? Pose focuses on the hamstring but I for one haven't the capabality to isolate my mind to control one single muscle while tring to remain upright and moving down the street. My focus is on relaxing the lower legs, keeping a knee bend, and maintaining compact frame. I figure the right muscles will do their job naturally.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

The Greatest of All Time

*Thread Hijack*...sorry Undecided mschantz...what are your thoughts on the DS Trainer? I see we use the same shoe (2130) and was thinking of trying the DS. Thanx Chris Now back to your regular viewing
                  I have only worn them once so far. They are obviously lighter than the 2130's but fit like a typical Asics. They are not a true racing 'flat' per se. There is some midfoot support but they flex easier. For some reason my heels felt like they were sitting lower in them compared to the 2130's. I am racing in them this Sunday so we'll see how it goes. But if you like your 2130's I am sure you will like the feel of the DS, especially the fit. BTW if you order online, get a size bigger than normal. For some reason this model is running really small. I wear an 11 in 2130's and pretty much everything else, but am wearing a 12 in the DS XIII.
                  all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                    I do not think most people can run as fast landing on their heels as on the balls of their feet hence my question.
                    That is true. It's why sprinters and most short distance racers use a forefoot landing. However, excelling in long distance races, especially anything longer than a 5k, isn't about speed as much as it is about running efficiency. And the heel-ball shuffle stride is more efficient for most runners.
                      That is true. It's why sprinters and most short distance racers use a forefoot landing. However, excelling in long distance races, especially anything longer than a 5k, isn't about speed as much as it is about running efficiency. And the heel-ball shuffle stride is more efficient for most runners.
                      I agree with you fully on the first point. I cannot recall anyone doing well other wise. On the second point, I will agree that among the masses an overwhelming majority of runners does some form of heel landing (ie. Heel toe, flat-footed, etc.) I would however like to add that among elite runners while there are some heel landing runners in the above 10K races the overwhelming majority do run fore foot landing for the ENTIRE RACE. Now before I am attacked let me say that I DO NOT think this is in anyway proof that forefoot landing is better. In fact, I am leaning to thinking it has more to do with the genetics of many of the top runners or a myriad of other factors. I saw one article trying to deny this but you can go on U-Tube or observe any running event and see for yourself. Do not rely on some writer affected by their biases. I say this to because I do not agree the “Heel ball shuffle” or whatever you call it is more efficient in long distance running. I would prefer to saw a preponderance of runners seem to run that way and therefore may find it more efficient. I for one and countless others do find running on the balls of our feet more efficient. Just as a side and this happen to be something, the Pose people recommend. When standing on your feet all day do not lock you knees and rock back on your heels. Rather relax your knees lightly and bare the weight more on the balls of the foot. I found that this practice worked perfectly for me when I was a kid in cadets and on parade for hours. Now guess what? Not everyone will agree to this. To me it is a matter of to each his own.

Why is it sideways?

To me it is a matter of to each his own.
                        Runnersbliss, I haven't seen anyone disagreeing with you, but your tone (admittedly hard to read on a message board, but the ALL CAPS come off as yelling) suggests that others have been saying that everyone in the world should go out and touch their heel first to the ground when they run. They're not. They are saying what you are saying. 1. It doesn't make much sense to fiddle with form unless something's wrong. 2. People have different form because they are built differently. 3. Foot strike is not always the best way to think about form issues. If it really is a matter, as you say, "of to each his own," then why the hostile tone? What follows from that is respecting and even encouraging alternative views.
                          Runnersbliss, I haven't seen anyone disagreeing with you, but your tone (admittedly hard to read on a message board, but the ALL CAPS come off as yelling) suggests that others have been saying that everyone in the world should go out and touch their heel first to the ground when they run. They're not. They are saying what you are saying. 1. It doesn't make much sense to fiddle with form unless something's wrong. 2. People have different form because they are built differently. 3. Foot strike is not always the best way to think about form issues. If it really is a matter, as you say, "of to each his own," then why the hostile tone? What follows from that is respecting and even encouraging alternative views.
                          Hi Jeff I always admired reading your post. This is due to how you tend to bring a certain calmness to the discussion. Let me apologize. I only used the caps to make sure that no one would miss read what I was saying. Finally, I am not sure that everyone here does agree with “to each his own”. Like Jakenight said at the beginning of the post “Oh, boy. Here we go.” I guess he knows how controversial this topic is. I have gotten into many of these discussions because I can see where people or coming form in criticizing Pose. However, you will always find these same people going overboard to criticize running on your forefoot. This was done to me when I first started to train for a marathon. I did not even think much about the way I ran for 39years of my life before that. I was convinced by others that I did not run properly and fitted with heavy-duty cushioning shoes. To this day, my wife shakes her head when on a limited budget I went out and got fitted for Orthotics at $800.00 all for naught. I have thrown that all away I now run in the cheapest shoes for over a 1000 miles no injuries. Jeff I suffered. It was only while on the old CR board that the discussion came up and a few people spoke about gait. I got into the discussion and realized that nothing was wrong with how I ran. I literally had to train myself to go back to running as I naturally did.
                            I agree with you fully on the first point. I cannot recall anyone doing well other wise. On the second point, I will agree that among the masses an overwhelming majority of runners does some form of heel landing (ie. Heel toe, flat-footed, etc.) I would however like to add that among elite runners while there are some heel landing runners in the above 10K races the overwhelming majority do run fore foot landing for the ENTIRE RACE. Now before I am attacked let me say that I DO NOT think this is in anyway proof that forefoot landing is better. In fact, I am leaning to thinking it has more to do with the genetics of many of the top runners or a myriad of other factors.
                            Yep, elites are a breed apart from most of us. Smile They also have considerably longer strides than the average runner, although their stride rates aren't much different....Glover cites a study that indicates that average runners stride rate is only about 9% slower than typical elites. Most "expert" sources say that elites mostly use a ball-heel landing, even in longer distance races, such as marathons. However, even that has come into question recently. One "expert" source, Dr's Tucker and Dugas who I referenced in earlier posts, when discussing the Pose method (See http://scienceofsport.blogspot.com/2007/09/running-technique-part-ii-biomechanics.html), stated: What does the evidence suggest? If the Pose method is true, then one would expect that faster runners, who have apparently developed better running technique, would tend to be more mid-foot or fore-foot strikers, because they would be adopting the principles above. But studies actually show the OPPOSITE - in one study, 75% of elite runners (running at 3min/km in a 21km race) landed on the HEEL! That seems to suggest that heel striking is not necessarily bad. The 25% who were mid- or forefoot strikers were not necessarily the fastest runners, so it's not a case of run on your heels if you are slow and let the fast guys land forefoot!

Why is it sideways?

I have gotten into many of these discussions because I can see where people or coming form in criticizing Pose. However, you will always find these same people going overboard to criticize running on your forefoot. This was done to me when I first started to train for a marathon. I did not even think much about the way I ran for 39years of my life before that. I was convinced by others that I did not run properly and fitted with heavy-duty cushioning shoes. To this day, my wife shakes her head when on a limited budget I went out and got fitted for Orthotics at $800.00 all for naught. I have thrown that all away I now run in the cheapest shoes for over a 1000 miles no injuries. Jeff I suffered. It was only while on the old CR board that the discussion came up and a few people spoke about gait. I got into the discussion and realized that nothing was wrong with how I ran. I literally had to train myself to go back to running as I naturally did.
                              Hey runners bliss--putting this in context really helps. I put what I thought was the key part of what you wrote in bold. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You're right; we're all different, figuring it all out on our own, and it's important to realize that the advice you get on running forums is worth what you pay for it, if that much! I like your username!
                                <>What does the evidence suggest? If the Pose method is true, then one would expect that faster runners, who have apparently developed better running technique, would tend to be more mid-foot or fore-foot strikers, because they would be adopting the principles above. But studies actually show the OPPOSITE - in one study, 75% of elite runners (running at 3min/km in a 21km race) landed on the HEEL! That seems to suggest that heel striking is not necessarily bad. The 25% who were mid- or forefoot strikers were not necessarily the fastest runners, so it's not a case of run on your heels if you are slow and let the fast guys land forefoot! Jim This is the exact quote I was looking for. Now Jim I know neither of us can dispute the above assertion. But be honest from your experience watching track even seeing the elites warming up before a marathon. Do you really see the same numbers they quote in that study? I have never seen that in practical experience. That is why I mistrust people going around making these presentations. For one his argument would not be defeated or enhance either way in my opinion so why stick in the statement that studies show. He could not even identify the source of the study.