Sugar (Read 1109 times)

Ok i was wondering if i could get some sugar answers. My first question is why is there no daily recommended amount on nutrition labels? Most people know overuse is bad, but my guess is most people dont have a basic idea of how much is too much. Including myself to an extent. Also, what are the major differences if any between sugar from fruit, and sugar from things like coke? I gave up soda years ago and just a few days after stoping i felt like a new man. My body was more energetic, and i felt physicaly and mentaly better. I wish to bring some better knowledge to guests at my job.. I work in food service
    http://www.climbingamerica.blogspot.com
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Daily recommended allowance for sugar: 0 grams Some portion of your daily caloric intake should come from carbohydrates. Sugars are simple carbohydrates. There are also complex carbohydrates, which are basically long chains of sugar molecules. It is better to consume relatively more complex carbohydrates and/or simple carbohydrates in the context of fibers or complex carbohydrates. Bananas contain simple and complex carbohydrates. Apples contain simple carbohydrates and fiber. Candy and Coke contain only simple carbohydrates. The complex carbohydrates and fibers slow the absorption of sugars from the gut, allowing your body the time to handle them. Without the slowed absorption, your blood sugar level peaks fast, then drops. This has the effect of dulling your body's cells to the effect of high sugar levels and high insulin levels, which can lead to diabetes and obesity if repeated chronically AND causes you to become hungry again quickly after the sugar load. This is why a 50 calorie apple can fill you up better than a 250 calorie candy bar. Some debate whether simple sugars have different effects based on their source and molecular structure. A good current debate is whether the sugar molecule in high-fructose corn syrup is any more or less likely to cause obesity than the sugar molecule in table sugar. Regardless of where we ultimately find the truth, most simple sugars added to processed foods are not going to be healthy and are not going to be provided in the context of complex carbohydrates and natural fibers. And, rather than try and science it up in this way, I find it better to keep it simple: eat food, not too much, mostly plants.
        Thank you fir the knowledge.. It makes complete sense. No doubt i eat well.. But sometimes its good to understand these things.
        http://www.climbingamerica.blogspot.com
        wyerock

High fructose corn syrup is the devil!

Old, Slow, Happy

But it's gotta be healthy, it's made from corn!! Evil grin
              But it's gotta be healthy, it's made from corn!! Evil grin
              Come on--you know what they say about it!

flatland mountaineer

If we have something to blame and vilify then we are not responsible, right? It's the HFCS in that 6 pack of coke we drank and the two packages of twinkes we ate today day that made us fat, gave us diabetes, made us impotent or insert what ever. http://www.sweetsurprise.com/?q=news-and-press/articles/HFCS-highly-fattening-crappy-science

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Elly.

Don't believe everything you read.

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

Why is it sideways?

If we have something to blame and vilify then we are not responsible, right? It's the HFCS in that 6 pack of coke we drank and the two packages of twinkes we ate today day that made us fat, gave us diabetes, made us impotent or insert what ever. http://www.sweetsurprise.com/?q=news-and-press/articles/HFCS-highly-fattening-crappy-science
                    Wow. That's some straight propaganda there. Nice find r2farm! Crazy how low an industry will stoop just to continue its own unethical practices.
                      Wow. That's some straight propaganda there. Nice find r2farm! Crazy how low an industry will stoop just to continue its own unethical practices.
                      I'm actually with r2farm here, even though that is a massive propaganda site, there. I don't see why people view HFCS any differently than any other sugar. As trent notes, most sugars and/or sweeteners are not going to be good for you. People arguing whether 50 calories of sugar vs. 50 calories of HFCS will make you fatter are missing the point. People get all crazy about HFCS being the source of everyone's problems, when more likely problems are that they don't get enough complex carbs and/or natural fiber, don't get enough protein, consume too many calories in general, don't exercise enough, or some combination of all those things. HFCS is just the latest demon for people to chase. If people would stick to a diet like the one Trent outlines so simply, then when they enjoyed a treat, it wouldn't matter much whether the soda had sugar or HFCS. In either case, limit the intake, eat sensibly otherwise, and the issue is a non-issue.
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Crissman, right on. HFCS, however, is not pure (neither is sugar). Here is how I see it: 1. In large part due to subsidy, HFCS is very cheap to produce and is now found in many foods that traditionally would not have been sweetened at all (e.g., saltines), thereby increasing those foods' caloric density and the chance they will promote obesity. 2. Because HFCS is so cheap (i.e., cheaper than sugar), some foods cost almost nothing to produce, so it makes financial sense to sell them in great bulk. The Big Gulp softdrink is an example. Buyers perceive a good deal and retailers make money when large volumes of Coke are sold cheap. The downside is that people consume more calories. With more expensive sweeteners, this is less likely to happen. 3. HFCS is present in a lot of processed foods. Processed foods are generally less healthy than natural or whole foods primarily because they are less likely to contain fiber, micronutrients, complex carbohydrates or because they are relatively more calorie dense or have a lower satiety index (i.e., they are less likely to make you feel full or satisfied). In this case, HFCS suffers from guilt by association; it is an indicator of a problem, not the cause of the problem. 4. HFCS is produced from commodity corn, which itself requires nitrogen-based plant fertilizers to produce in adequate quantity in much of the country. Sugar is produced from sugar cane, which grows more readily, but which requires relatively more petroleum to transport into our country. 5. HFCS is not kosher for passover, so I have to avoid it for the next 8 days. You would be blown away by how hard that is to do without eating only single-ingredient whole foods. As before, if you are eating whole foods that are unsweetened and which have fiber and complex carbohydrates, this discussion is unnecessary. If everybody ate that way, there would be no demand for sugar or HFCS. But the chocolate ice cream would not taste as good. Don't get me started on noncalorie sugar substitutes.

Imminent Catastrophe

And, rather than try and science it up in this way, I find it better to keep it simple: eat food, not too much, mostly french fries.
                          fixed.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

(I had some french fries today at lunch)
                            xor

I'm thinking of changing my name to Stevia Ray Lopez.