Chest pains after a run. (Read 1013 times)

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone can relate to this. Last night I went for a run, easy 5 mile. When I got home and started entering the data in my log, I felt this sharp pain to the left of my chest area. It only lasted a second so I thought nothing of it, then a few minutes later it reoccured for a second or two. I have to say it freaked me out a bit. I have only recently got a HR monitor. My hrmax(220-age formula) is 188. My HR peaked at 179 last night and 184 the night before(these were for only brief spells - 30sec). So, am I pushing too close to the red zone too often or am I freaked over nothing? Does anyone else experience 'flutters'? Thanks.
    Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
      Hmm... I wouldn't mess around with something like this. I'd get to the doctor and ask to get your heart checked out. Maybe an ekg/stress test.
      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Chest pains = a doc's visit if not a trip to the emergency room, period.
          Go to the Doctor. Don't mess around with the heart.
          "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
            have you had them before? any allergies or exercised induced asthma?? sometimes asthma will cause the same thing. either case, a trip to the Dr. is MANDATED at this point...
              Thanks guys, I think its pretty clear what my next step is all right. I would hate for anything to come out of this to impact exercise.. But then, priorities and all that...
              Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
                well, i've been asked to go for ECG and Bloods by my Doc.He says I experienced 'missed beat'. I think its just precautionary. One thing the doc did tell me is there is no need for me to be puting my HR in the high 170's as im not an olympian. many benefits can be gained from easing up a little and at a pace / rate that suits me.. So now its just do the tests and wait it out. God, im not used to this Confused sorry for the moan.as ye were.
                  well, i've been asked to go for ECG and Bloods by my Doc.
                  My Doc did the same thing and apparently, there may be an issue with one of my valves. I find out this afternoon.
                  chrimbler

It's good you are getting the tests done, but I wouldn't get too worked up just yet. Just because you experienced some 'chest' pain does not automatically indicate 'cardiac' pain. You stated it was a sharp pain, pain, from a cardiac etiological point of view the pain would generally be a dull/crushing pain in most cases (I say most cases, but there is always the exception...) When you experienced the pain was it brief while taking a deep(er) breath? If so it was probably a plueretic, which means the fluid that lines the plueretic space was 'thinned out' causing some friction rub...from probably, oh I don't know, increased respsirations caused by running??? Anyway like I said there are exceptions to the rule, so it is always good to get it checked out, but don't get too worked up just yet Wink
                    Run like you stole it!
                      Thanks Chrimbler, yeah it was during deep breathing (Recovery). We'll see how it goes, i wont get freaked out about it. csmithnj, good luck with the results later today, I hope it works out for you.
                        Joe and Chris- hope your tests go well.
                        One thing the doc did tell me is there is no need for me to be puting my HR in the high 170's as im not an olympian.
                        Well, that depends on your max heart rate too. And how are you supposed to become an olympian if you don't occasionally push yourself that hard? Big grin
                        Ed4

Barefoot and happy

If you're hitting 95% of your max heart rate multiple days in a row, you're not doing "easy" runs. Granted, you should probably find out your real max heart rate, because the 220 formula doesn't really work for everyone. But I strongly suspect your easy runs are not really easy, and this will cause you trouble down the line, even if it's not actually related to this particular pain.
                          Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If you're hitting 95% of your max heart rate multiple days in a row, you're not doing "easy" runs. Granted, you should probably find out your real max heart rate, because the 220 formula doesn't really work for everyone. But I strongly suspect your easy runs are not really easy, and this will cause you trouble down the line, even if it's not actually related to this particular pain.
                            Can't speak to the flutters, but agree that you need to slow down. Your last run in your log was done at an avearge HR of 166, which is 88% based on the 220-age formula. Even if the formula's wrong, that's still too fast. Slow down, and run your easy runs in the 140~160 range. You'll be able to run more miles because you won't be fatigued, and more miles will help you improve.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Joe and Chris- hope your tests go well. Well, that depends on your max heart rate too. And how are you supposed to become an olympian if you don't occasionally push yourself that hard? Big grin
                              I have to go see a cardiologist for a stress test. Per the echo, I have moderate to severe aortic regurgitation and a slightly enlarged left ventrical. Doctor says I can continue to run as the heart is functioning normally. 60% ejection fraction. The "moderate to severe" part has me a little scared.
                              obiebyke

It does sound scary, but it could mean a lot of things. Breathe deeply and wait for everything to unfold before thinking too far ahead. In any case, it looks like you should be fine, even if you end up needing a little surgery. Dude--you can still run! That means it can't be THAT bad, right? Hang in there.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)