Interesting Diet (Read 1257 times)

Great job on diluting the Asian gene pool. Ah, you all are into stuff white people like (#11 asian girls). In high school and part of college, I liked Asian girls. Why? Confused Before that, it was Hispanics and sometime before that it was Whites. Not sure what I am into now. Confused Big grin

Vim

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

about 2000
      Based on what? Most 167 lb muscular adults maintaining weight with a sedentary lifestyle need only 1200-1500. Add to that calories for effort, say ~125 per mile run, averaged over the week.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Oh, and this: eat food, not too much, mostly plants Smile
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ah, you all are into stuff white people like (#11 asian girls).
          No Asian fetish for this white guy. I'm just really into my wife. Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

FastTalkingFatty

http://mattfitzgerald.org/blog/?p=6 Yesterday I had my body fat rechecked. I weighed 170 but body fat decresed to 7.2%. I gained weight eating 2500 calories a day and running 50+ miles a week. On top of that my diet is squeeky clean. My metabolism has to be on autopilot right now.
            Whaaahhhhh, cried the jealous woman huffing along in her skort.

<www.runningahead.com/groups/veggies/

ruthiepj

Marcus, to actually address your original post, this calculator does a good job of weight loss / caloric intake calculations including running.
              Thank you for posting that calculator. Might explain why I'm not losing weight.

The Greatest of All Time

Based on what? Most 167 lb muscular adults maintaining weight with a sedentary lifestyle need only 1200-1500. Add to that calories for effort, say ~125 per mile run, averaged over the week.
                I get the 2000 per day from about every BMR calculation formula I can find. According to the Harris Benedict equation, I come up with 2107. Using the one Jeff posted, it comes up with almost 2200. I was using 2000 just to be conservative. I will agree with approximately 125 calories per mile. If I run 70 miles a week that's 8750 calories or 1250 per day. If you add that amount to either number it still amazes me that I actually gained weight. I am not complaining mind you. I just find it odd. The only answer in my mind is that I am getting good 'mileage' out of the energy I take in. Sort of like a car that gets better gas mileage. Maybe I am a human Prius. My point was that the calculators or equations that are typcially used are not accurate for me currently. And as I saw the scale slowly going up over the last two months, I assumed somehow I was gaining fat. When that turned out not to be the case I was pretty astounded.
                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My point was that the calculators or equations that are typcially used are not accurate for me currently. And as I saw the scale slowly going up over the last two months, I assumed somehow I was gaining fat. When that turned out not to be the case I was pretty astounded.
                  Agreed. I am not sure why most scales online predict a caloric need of ~2100 for you, and they may be using old governmental estimates of caloric need, but biologically and as can be confirmed through metabolic testing, most lean adults need far less than that. I could scream conspiracy theory about why we see estimates >2000, theories having to do with pushing subsidized calories, but I won't. Suffice it to say that 2000 is to many for base.

The Greatest of All Time

Agreed. I am not sure why most scales online predict a caloric need of ~2100 for you, and they may be using old governmental estimates of caloric need, but biologically and as can be confirmed through metabolic testing, most lean adults need far less than that. I could scream conspiracy theory about why we see estimates >2000, theories having to do with pushing subsidized calories, but I won't. Suffice it to say that 2000 is to many for base.
                    Hmm...is the likely suspect the food industry in general? As we know on almost all packaged food the nutrition content is weighed against a 2000 and 2500 calorie diet as listed on the packaging. We, or at least I, know that the 'standard' calcuations or equations are not applicable to me, but I can't be the only one. I think there is a strong genetic factor at play. Case in point, my wife is 5'3". She typically eats more total calories than I do, is less active, and her weight never budges more than 2 or 3 pounds depeding on the time of the month. And it pisses me off. But, she eats very healthy and has a "everything in moderation" attitude. You would love her Trent. She eats lots of plants and organic ones at that. I read every damn label before I eat it and she reads none, except to see what ingredients are in it. She rarely looks at total calories, etc. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes. If we are led to believe that we need 2500 kCals per day, we will eat (and buy) more food and not feel so bad about it. If we need to eat 2500 kCals per day, then it makes sense for the guv'ment to subsidize the overproduction of commodity crops to fill those calories. But you only need 1500. Try it for a few weeks and see what happens. Make sure to add cals for your miles tho - Smile And BTW, I would be happy to love your wife but then you an my wife would probably line up to punch me Wink She has a great approach. Also, I nearly fell off my seat when I read one person's response to the "eat food, not too much, mostly plants". It went like this: "ate plants, loads of them, still hungry". Big grin

The Greatest of All Time

But you only need 1500. Try it for a few weeks and see what happens. Make sure to add cals for your miles tho - Smile
                        I bet you I am pretty close to that right now. I just looked and my average calorie intake over the last month has actually been 2400. Not counting this week, over the last month I have averaged 65 miles per week. Using 125 cals per mile that calculates daily to 1160 per day. Add that to 1500 and I come up with 2660. Given the fact that I have eaten less than that and gained a little weight I can only conclude that my daily requirement with no running is probably closer to 1200. Damn, that goes against pretty much everything out there right now. Most dieticians don't recommend healthy men going under 1800 per day with no activity. Someone is lying, misinformed, or totally full of b.s.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Most dieticians don't recommend healthy men going under 1800 per day with no activity.
                          Someone is lying, misinformed, or totally full of b.s.
                          Indeed. I think you figured it out Big grin

Think Whirled Peas

Trent, As a person gets accustomed to running (running easier at the same pace) wouldn't their caloric deficit decrease as well? For example, if one assumes 125 kcal/mile at 9 m/m pace when starting out as a new runner, would the 125 kcal/mile at 9 m/m still be true if the person had now been running for a year or more? Does that make sense?

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

The Greatest of All Time

Trent, As a person gets accustomed to running (running easier at the same pace) wouldn't their caloric deficit decrease as well? For example, if one assumes 125 kcal/mile at 9 m/m pace when starting out as a new runner, would the 125 kcal/mile at 9 m/m still be true if the person had now been running for a year or more? Does that make sense?
                              I know you asked Dr. Trent, but the answer is probably no. Calories burned over a mile running is going to depend on your weight and heart rate. Trent's use of 125 calories per mile is just a generalization. In the past I have always used 100 calories per mile, but it's still close. Assuming the new runner becomes more efficient and the heart rate goes down over the same mile, then fewer calories would be burned. So if at a given pace your heart rate was 150 and then 6 months later at the same pace it was 140, less calories were burned. The difference in that example would not be very much.

Think Whirled Peas

Thanks for the reply. So to make sure I understand, yes the number of cals burned would decrease, but not significantly. Correct?

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>