Post Your Small, or Big, Victory For The Day! (Read 5844 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Hands were getting really cold at mile 8. Ran mile 9 and back to the house for mile 10. 16 oz of water, power gel and  socks for hands.Decided to microwave 6oz of water to put in metal bottle(hand warmer). This took about 10 minutes. I actually made it back out the door! Big grin 3 more miles and  1 mile C/D. 14.2 miles. Every mile was a struggle.It feels good when you survive the tough days.

PS: Paced a  friend for  6 hr in a  marathon on Sunday.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Hit 141 lbs! I don't remember the last time I weighed 141lbs. Only, 6 more lbs to go.

drrbradford

I just ran an absolute beast of a session on the roads. 4 x 3min + 4 x 90s (2min recovery for all) and averaged 4:45/Mi for the 3min efforts and 4:34/Mi for the 90s efforts.

Starting to reel in my mileage now and increase the intensity to try and get my 5k time down then aiming for 1500m in the summer. Today was the first day of the new mindset.

drrbradford

Hands were getting really cold at mile 8. Ran mile 9 and back to the house for mile 10. 16 oz of water, power gel and  socks for hands. Decided to microwave 6oz of water to put in metal bottle(hand warmer). This took about 10 minutes. I actually made it back out the door! Big grin 3 more miles and  1 mile C/D. 14.2 miles. Every mile was a struggle.It feels good when you survive the tough days.

PS: Paced a  friend for  6 hr in a  marathon on Sunday.

You're a champ.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Dragged myself out of bed this morning to do some cross-training.

I've been running and racing since the middle of 2006

In 2009 I trained for my first marathon and PR'd at virtually every distance along the way. After the marathons (in October and early December 2009) I felt a bit trashed and eased up a bit.

In 2010 I wasn't training for a marathon, cut my mileage a bit hoping to increase intensity instead, and failed to PR at a single distance.

At the end of 2010 I sucked it up and decided I'm not old enough to quit PR'ing quite yet. In December and January I've put together some decent mileage (December was 270, January will be ~290) and restarted the midweek medium-long run.

Today was my first test, a cross country 4 miler that I did in 26:22 last year. I was hoping to beat that this year and ideally get under 26.Never imagined I'd get close to 25 but I ended up with a 25:07.

That was a pretty big victory for my day. I'm feeling pumped about the rest of the year now.

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
              joescott

@norrin_radd

Outstanding and nicely done.  Very good that you decided you weren't ready to stop PRing.  That's the spirit!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

kcam

I've been running and racing since the middle of 2006

In 2009 I trained for my first marathon and PR'd at virtually every distance along the way. After the marathons (in October and early December 2009) I felt a bit trashed and eased up a bit.

In 2010 I wasn't training for a marathon, cut my mileage a bit hoping to increase intensity instead, and failed to PR at a single distance.

At the end of 2010 I sucked it up and decided I'm not old enough to quit PR'ing quite yet. In December and January I've put together some decent mileage (December was 270, January will be ~290) and restarted the midweek medium-long run.

Today was my first test, a cross country 4 miler that I did in 26:22 last year. I was hoping to beat that this year and ideally get under 26.Never imagined I'd get close to 25 but I ended up with a 25:07.

That was a pretty big victory for my day. I'm feeling pumped about the rest of the year now.

John

Way to go John, that's some big mileage for Dec and Jan.  As you've already found out, it'll payoff.  Hope to read some more of your race reports this year - I've definitely missed them!

Ken

drrbradford

My daily happiness: did 5M this morning at about 6:05/Mi in FiveFingers, really focussing on technique as I'm now looking ahead to track season. Calves were tight all day because of running really high on the balls of my feet. Was a little bit apprehensive about my road session tonight but I had an absolute stormer! My subgroup did 2x1850m + 1x1300m (7:30 turnaround). I ran 5:26, 5:27 and 3:54 (average of something like 4:45/Mi). I then did a 3M run home at 5:53/Mi.

The best part of the session is that I lead Tom Lancashire around the whole of the first long rep and then he finished only a couple of seconds ahead of me for the second. For those of you who don't know who Tom is; 1500m PB = 3:33.96 = #1 in GB in 2010 (http://thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=909). Admittedly he  was doing 4 x 1850m but I'm still absolutely pumped for 5k and track season. 

I started doing circuits a few weeks ago and some of you might recall my change of training plans to include faster runs but less miles. Looks like it's paying off!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Sweetwater 13.1(Garmin 13.52) 2:39:13  First technical trail race. The marathon 2 weeks ago did not leave me this exhausted. Great race.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

sincerely silly

Sad but true "victory"...I've run at least once a week for a whole 5 weeks.  Haha, go me.  (I'll be having my one-person parade on the way to rec soccer tonight. =P)

And only 2.5 miles or so per run/walk.  So. 

It's a start.  I'm gonna need to start getting to work earlier (there's a gym here) to fit in runs on days when I have other activities at night.  (Like today!)

Maybe I'll post again if I ever manage that. :-)

shin splints are my nemesis

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Sad but true "victory"...I've run at least once a week for a whole 5 weeks.  Haha, go me.  (I'll be having my one-person parade on the way to rec soccer tonight. =P)

And only 2.5 miles or so per run/walk.  So. 

It's a start.  I'm gonna need to start getting to work earlier (there's a gym here) to fit in runs on days when I have other activities at night.  (Like today!)

Maybe I'll post again if I ever manage that. :-)

Congrats. Come back soon.Big grin

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

Marylander

My daughter and I made it to the top of a fairly nasty climb on the appalacian trail today. We were crazy slow but we made it. Over 1100 ft of elevation gain in <2 miles over very rocky terrain. We're finally getting back on track with regular running (May was our last really good month) and getting through a challenging run like this adds a little 'fun' to our building back up.

Last night I ran for the first time in a week (conference and Disney vacation and sick).  I hadn't taken a full week off since 2003.  I only managed to trudge through 2.5 miles and when wondering why it was so hard, my question was answered when I saw I spiked a 101F fever.

Well, my victory goes over two days.  I'm training to run a sub 4:00 marathon in May, which will be a 30 minute PR.  Well, yesterday I finally was able to conquer my nemesis workout:  3 @ 8:55 pace, 3 min rest, 2 @ 8:45 pace, 3 minute rest, 1 @ 8:25.  I've tried this workout two other times and had to bail during the two miles.

Then today, I ran 16 miles on a very hilly course.  4.5 of the last 6 were at MP + 10 seconds.  A very hard workout, the day after another hard workout.

I'm proud of myself, I've never been able to run this hard or this fast.

Mark