Choosing a spring marathon - all things equal..... (Read 658 times)

Would you choose a local marathon that requires no overnight travel but has a 6:30 start time? or Would you choose a marathon requiring overnight travel that has a more sane start time of 8:30? For the purposes of this exercise, pretend you usually run over lunch.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

xor

6:30 isn't that early Smile Depends on your race goals. Depends on if it is your first. If it is your first and/or you want to run fast, stick with the close-to-home race and avoid the travel stress. UNLESS your local race has a hella hard course or you are expecting wacky weather or something. BTW, does that overnight travel race involve a new time zone? Or will your body still think it is 8:30? Anyway, isolating the issue to start times, 6:30 vs 8:30? Unless you are the world's worst night owl, this shouldn't be the thing that decides the race for you.

DoppleBock

Would you choose a local marathon that requires no overnight travel but has a 6:30 start time? or Would you choose a marathon requiring overnight travel that has a more sane start time of 8:30? For the purposes of this exercise, pretend you usually run over lunch.
        I would choose 1st by course as Stevie Ray said and I would give the local race some bonus points for sleeping in my own bed and having a lower total cost.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

jeffdonahue

Based on what time it starts I would typically take the earlier one, but I dont run at lunch. I usually run at 5:30 AM so 6:30 would actually be sleeping in a bit for me. But all in all, I wouldnt use the time as a defining factor at all. Bigger factors would be the overall cost (including travel), the race course - which was more brutal and more scenic, the size of the race (I prefer more people because then there will usually still be someone with me at the end), locale - is the travel one a place you would like to visit for a weekend?.
            All good questions... the courses are comparable in elevation and the one I'd have to travel for is Wilmington, DE - not a bad city, but hardly a travel destination. I AM a night owl, but two hours isn't a huge difference I guess, though, as mentioned - 6:30's a bit early for me to run.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Flat footer

Im a morning guy that doesnt like to travel Smile

an amazing likeness

Marcus, I too am a night owl by nature and about 90% of my runs are evening events. But between getting up early to be prepared, and race energy, I haven't had any real challenges with morning races -- I just make sure to leave enough time for a warm-up jog and stretching and seem to have the cobwebs out for the starts. But, geez, a 630AM start would be a tough decision as to whether to just stay up.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I like earlier start times. I also enjoy destination marathons. The start time wouldn't be the deciding factor. Big grin

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Roses Revenge

I usually run in the afternoons, but I'd still take the early start. My training group starts at 6 AM most Saturday mornings all summer so it wouldn't be too early for me.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

xor

I like earlier start times. I also enjoy destination marathons. The start time wouldn't be the deciding factor. Big grin
                      But. The destination in this case is Delaware. Does that help you decide? Heh.

For me, a couple of hours wouldn't be the deciding factor and I'm a bit of a night owl as well. Do whichever one you think is better. If you are coming from Lancaster, that's not very far away.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

Queen of 3rd Place

I hate running early, my am runs are always slow and painful, EXCEPT when it's a race, then I'm fine. So for me there would be other more important considerations such as crowd size, bling, eats, course features etc.

Ex runner

I'd go earlier start time with no overnight travel. I'm a "routine" guy.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

6:30 - no question about it.
                                I'd choose the 6:30 AM start closer to home. The earlier start is a better hedge against warm weather in case your race day ends up with warm temps. I've done the Flying Pig (6:30 AM start) a few times. I can attest it's a good choice as I've PR'd 2 out of the 3 times running there. I'm already a few miles down the road by the time I wake up. Cool