NYC Marathon Registration Opens Tomorrow (Read 772 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Per the New York Road Runners website (www.nyrr.org), the registration form for the 2009 NYC Marathon will be available tomorrow (Thursday, 2/19/09). They are also redesigning the entire website - NY Marathon (currently the post-marathon 2008 info is gone; the website shows info leading up to the 2008 marathon, like 2008 countdown, etc.). Mod to correct website.
    mikeymike

That's just wrong.

Runners run

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm a two time loser in the lottery. We'll see what happens this year.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

On On

That's just wrong.
          They have time standards for automatic qualification. If you do a 2:55 marathon or 1:23 half you can get automatic entry. I know you are fast and you are sub 2:55. MTA: you could use your Baystate time.

Imminent Catastrophe

They have time standards for automatic qualification. If you do a 2:55 marathon or 1:23 half you can get automatic entry. I know you are fast and you are sub 2:55.
            OH, a 2:55 marathon? Is that all? Harrumph.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

mikeymike

Yeah I know all that and I'm not planning to run it anyway. It just makes me sad when races do things like open registration 9 months before the actual race and charge $171 plus $11 processing fee (really, you have to tack on an $11 processing fee?) and stil sell out. For reasons I can't even fully explain, really.

Runners run

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, I agree, the nonrefundable "processing fee" irks me too. They have $21 of mine for...nothing. I guess they do it just because they can.

xor

Yes, I've gotten used to processing fees (like the Active colostomy)... for races I'm actually entering. NYCM bends you over just to *try*. NYCM might be the greatest race in the world. And. Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'll never know because I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker.

kcam

Yeah I know all that and I'm not planning to run it anyway. It just makes me sad when races do things like open registration 9 months before the actual race and charge $171 plus $11 processing fee (really, you have to tack on an $11 processing fee?) and stil sell out. For reasons I can't even fully explain, really.
                    Is that what NYC charges?! I'll pass as well. I had thought about it as I have a qualifying time this year (old man get's a bit more than 2:55) but I won't pay that much. I did, however, pay $200 to run the CIM back in December. I waited too long to register and they sold out but then they opened up some 'special' registrations for $200. I was in PR shape and I wanted that race so I paid it. On the good side, $110 of that goes to the American River Parkway so it went to a good cause and I get a tax deduction.
                    mikeymike

I was in PR shape and I wanted that race so I paid it. On the good side, $110 of that goes to the American River Parkway so it went to a good cause and I get a tax deduction.
                      Yeah and the key is you got to decide you were in PR shape and that it was worth betting $200 on it. I can't see plunking down $181 in February for a race in November. That's just nuts. But 45,000 or so people will do it so God love 'em.

Runners run

Man, all the people coming out against NY is ridiculous. All over the place... I mean this race isn't in Sacramento, its not in East Podunk, or West Podunk. Its not in Huntsville, Alabama. Its not in Scranton, PA. Its not in Lowell, MA. Its in the biggest city in the United States. It runs through all five boroughs of NYC. It starts crossing the longest suspension bridge in the world. One of only 3 ways to get from Staten Island to anywhere... You close down traffic on 1st avenue and 5th avenue in Manhattan. From midtown all the way to the Bronx. You have 40,000 people running at once... And it only costs $171 to run... It probably costs way more than that to run the damn thing, considering the thousands of cops needed to close down the course. Maintain safety for the runners and 1-2 million spectators. I say they generate maybe $9,000,000 to run this montrous race. Lets just say 1,000 cops on a Sunday morning for 8 hours. That right there probably cost $1,000,000 right there... There are few marathons that compare with NY. Chicago, Boston... and they change $$$ too... Yes you have to sign up in advance. Whose making you sign up now???? You don't have too. You can sign up on May 1st if you have a guaranteed entry. if you are going in the lottery you can sign up on Jun 1st... Is that enough time. The only marathon that I even know that allows you to transfer your entry is Houston. And they still charge $90, and you'll be running by yourself after 20 miles, with timing mats at 10k and the half. Thats it... NY timing mats every 5k, plus every mile from 16 to 26. Plus you'll have company when running (probably not as much as Boston). What does complaining about it, and saying you're NOT going to run do anything.... Are your trying to make the people who plan on trying to run it feel stupid for signing up?? Also, consider over half of the entries are not even from the U.S. They are from overseas... Euro >> $$$ right now...
                        xor

Have a popsicle.

Bugs

Do they allow group registration?

Bugs

mikeymike

Whoa there dcv2002. "Coming out against NY" may be just a tad strong. All these people (all, what, three of us in this thread?) who've expressed a lack of interest in running a race that requires paying $181 some 9 months in advance to maybe, if you're healthy in November and everything goes well, run through NYC with 40,000 people are okay with NY's right to exist. To each their own. And NY will be just fine without us. They seem to have no problem selling out all 45,000 spots every year. It's just not my bag is all. Popsicles are good. Ice cream is better.

Runners run

OH, a 2:55 marathon? Is that all? Harrumph.
                                guffaw! ETA: I want a popsicle, too.