Running-Wizard

Countdown - It's race time! (Read 49 times)

JML

Good luck tomorrow Christirei!  I will keep an eye out for a triumphant race report to be posted here tomorrow!

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

+1! Waiting with bated breath for a report Smile go get em christirei!!!

Good luck tomorrow Christirei!  I will keep an eye out for a triumphant race report to be posted here tomorrow!

RunSaintRun

Good luck Christi!!

Hungry

Good luck, Christirei!

Awwww, feeling the love! Thanks guy, unfortunately no triumphant report this morning

I ran this same race two years ago when it was a half marathon, 10K, and a 5K. I ran the 10K and had a terrible experience because i ran into the slow half marathon runners and the 5K turn was early so I ran smack dab into the middle of the pack 5K runners and was trying to finish out my race while dodging and weaving. I picked this race for my goal race this year though because the last mile is all downhill, which is awesome, and they eliminated the 10K so I thought the crowding might not be as big of a problem. This year's race was sold out with 5500 half marathon runners and 2500 5K runners.

It was a pretty chilly morning! My ideal running temps, and i timed things pretty well. Got to the race early so I didn't stress about parking, sat in my car and chilled out for a while and felt really good and relaxed. I thought this race was in the bag for me. I got out and stood in line for the port a potty, checked my jacket and keys at the bag check and watched the half marathon start. there was twenty minutes between the half start and the 5K start, perfect time to warm up. The half marathon started in waves however, every two to three minutes they started another group. I got some of my warm up done and then noticed that the corrall was almost completely full of 5K runners, and they had closed the gates before the half start so that the only way to enter the corral was from the back. i decided to quit my warm up early to make my way through the corral. it was tough going, and most of the people in the corral was kind of like, we got here first, go to the back of the line :/

I started back further than ideal and had a slow start, but was still feeling good and figured a slow start would just help me in the long run and i should be able to make up the time with a fast final mile. Right at the end of mile one we hit the slow 3:05 pace group for the half marathon. They were supposed to run on the right side of the road while the 5K runners got the left side, it didn't happen. i was again dodging 5K racers and half marathon walkers!! I got pretty frustrated here, because I could feel the race slipping away from me. My second mile split was my worst - 6:59 There was also a hill during the second mile and a uturn, ugh. Third mile I was flying but also knew I had already failed for this race, i was running pretty much by myself at this point thankfully and turned in an awesome third mile split - 6:30 or something close.

In the end I just couldn't make up enough time in that third mile, I started to slowly and didn't push hard enough in the second mile. During my 5K warm up race about a month ago my second mile was my slowest too, so definitely something to work on there and keep in mind for the future. I think i placed second in my age group, but was twenty seconds off of Running Wizard's predicted time. My official time was 21:29  - thirty second PR but still disappointing

Bummer race report, but hopefully that just leaves lots of good karma out there for all of your races coming up!! And I'll start marathon training in two weeks and I think I will fair much better with one training cycle under my belt. I know I didn't use this program to the max with missed workouts and not always understanding the purpose of runs. I feel more confident in the program now and can't wait to see what type of marathon PR I can set. Good luck with all of your races guys!!

JML

Sorry to hear that circumstances outside of your control contributed to a less than stellar race experience.  I hate it when a race is poorly organized.  But please do keep some perspective....a 30 second PR is HUGE once your 5K time gets into the low 20 minute range.  It sounds like you were in great shape from the work that you put in during this training cycle and have built a strong base for your next race.

I think that accolades are in order and that you should take a victory lap.  A PR is a PR so...... CONGRATS!

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Christi:

Hey, nevertheless, 30-seconds PR!!  Congratulations; you should feel good.

Now, don't turn around and go straight back into "Conditioning" as yet.  Look for a few more races (5k?) and use Race-Week / Non-Race-Week schedules.  Now we don't have it up yet; but I can walk you through with this.  Basically, you do the mixture of training; a bit harder and more volume when not racing; when racing comes, lighten it up (more like the taper week) and continue.  I know, Jon, I told him that I'll put together the plans for him and never did!! (sorry)  Well, just in case, the schedule is a lot like interval week for non-race-week and a taper week for race-week. You can continue doing this for several months and, as you race more, you'll keep improving.  Depending on when your marathon race is and when you want to start the marathon training, you should be able to chop another half a minute off your 5k time fairly easily.

Nobby, I have been thinking about that, I really want to hit that 21 min mark! But back in December I think I posted a question in the main forum about this and you reccommended doing a 5K schedule to work on my speed and then start my marathon schedule. Marathon is October 20th (Columbus Ohio) and I have already registered for it. I planned to start my training plan the first week of May which would give me just about six full months of training. Do you think I could get away with doing a month of some more 5K's and start the marathon training in June?? I want to be well prepared for the marathon, I have only done one previous one on absolutely inadequate training and I am looking for a much different and better experience!  I am really open to suggestions though....I would love to continue working these 5K's and see if I can bring that time down a bit, but I don't want to short cut my marathon training either...thoughts?

Aw, sorry you didn't meet your goal, but it was obviously due to circumstances outside your control. I hate poor race organization too! Still, as Nobby said, a PR is a PR and 30 seconds is a lot in a 5k!

Hope you're feeling a bit better about it today. Maybe you can find a smaller, 5k-only race in the coming weeks and get your revenge Smile

I remember the scene in "A Few Good Men" where Kiefer Southerland, as Ltn. Kendrick, made an excuse of not remembering someone's report by saying; "I have many people who report to me and I write many reports..." or something like that.  I hope you pardon me for not remembering the details about your situation; I do get many inquiries and, while I do try to respond on this forum as much as possible, often my mind gets ahead of me and I actually get involved with more posts than I actually respond to (in other words, often I read the posts and think about it but not always get to respond).

I do have a suggestion though.  While your thinking is definitely legit and a good one (to fully utilize a 24-week plan for a marathon preparation and especially for a marathon preparation); one of the beauties of Lydiard training is its relative similarity.  In other words, even if you're training for a 5k race, during conditioning phase, you'll get up to 2+ hours and the bulk of the plan is conditioning--because what you develop from conditioning is what governs our ultimate performance level.  So, however long your previous plan was (sorry, I can't remember!! ;o)), you did have a good chunk of aerobic conditioning period.  A good thing about aerobic conditioning is; once you've developed a solid base, unless you abuse it by doing too much interval type training or too much racing, it can be maintained fairly easily for relatively long period of time.  How about, say, you look for another local 5k race, say, in 3 weeks time; do a maintenance Non-race-week for 2 weeks (with good long run on weekend), one week of taper (race-week), shoot for 21-minutes; then give yourself one week of "off" week (by "off" I mean, just an easy jogging week so you'll still "run" but very nice and easily, no worry for pace or duration)...that'll take up 4 weeks.  You'll still have 20-weeks before the marathon.  By then, you're no longer a novice BUT for the next round RW, make sure you click only ONE at the bottom of the interview section (where it asks things like "Have you been running more than 3-years...?" etc., etc., etc.).  This way, you will have the maximum duration of Marathon Conditioning part of the plan.  This is the part, as individualized as Running Wizard is, that a simple "program" will not take care of--fine tweaking for the circumstances.

If you have further question, feel free to throw questions; publicly and/or personally.

Nobby, I have been thinking about that, I really want to hit that 21 min mark! But back in December I think I posted a question in the main forum about this and you reccommended doing a 5K schedule to work on my speed and then start my marathon schedule. Marathon is October 20th (Columbus Ohio) and I have already registered for it. I planned to start my training plan the first week of May which would give me just about six full months of training. Do you think I could get away with doing a month of some more 5K's and start the marathon training in June?? I want to be well prepared for the marathon, I have only done one previous one on absolutely inadequate training and I am looking for a much different and better experience!  I am really open to suggestions though....I would love to continue working these 5K's and see if I can bring that time down a bit, but I don't want to short cut my marathon training either...thoughts?

Hungry

Christirei, Congrats!  Second in your age group and a 30 second PR is great! Better than most of us can hope for. Difficult conditions beyond our control seem to happen more often than "perfect" conditions do, so this is a particularly good result, even if you didn't make your goal time. Great effort!

I like the idea of taking three weeks and trying again, right now I am still pretty upset with myself, sure it was crowded... but I also didn't watch my pace closely enough to realize that I was getting to far behind. Lots I could have done to improve my situation as well. I don't want to blame just the organization of the race, I didn't run hard enough.

nobby my only question is when you said at the end of the interview section click "one" ....I don't remember well what you are referencing there. How do I enter things correctly to maximize what I need out of the marathon program? My 5k program was fourteen weeks I think. I think I could do well with a twenty week marathon plan especially since i am not coming out of a nothing winter, but trained hard for the past four months...

Thanks so much guys! I know in a few days I will feel better about the PR  Smile

Hungry

Ok, here's my race report from today. It's a 5K fundraising race that I run each year -- it's not my current goal race, but it's a fun one because I see many former work colleagues that I haven't seen since last year's race. (My goal race is Grandma's Marathon on June 22nd. This 5K happened right at the end of my Hills phase; I'm treating this race as my first "Interval" workout and adjusting my schedule just slightly to fit it in.)
                            The 5K today had a pretty light turnout, maybe less than two hundred people total? This may have been due in part to the fact that it was 31 degrees, with winds gusting to about 20 mph, and a snow/rain mix that froze as it hit the ground, making much of the course very slippery. (This is running in Minnesota in April!)  I started out nice and relaxed and moved myself up into the top 20 or so runners during the first half mile. Then, I saw the race volunteers ahead re-directing the top 5 or 6 runners back toward me. There was a train that had completely blocked the route, so we were redirected to a road with a bridge that went over the train. Disaster averted, right?!  This allowed many of us to catch up to the top runners, who had to back-track a ways. The route then circled around and back to ... the SAME train! This time, we all had to stop completely and wait for the train to pass. This all happened before mile 1. According to my Garmin, I stood still waiting for the train for about 1 minute and 40 seconds. This was enough time for just about EVERYONE to catch up. As I stood there, I yelled out, "Everyone maintain your place!" I got some startled looks, then some laughter when I sheepishly indicated I was just kidding. So, the race effectively started a second time -- with maybe 2.2 miles remaining once the train passed. I quickly regained my pre-train position and maintained a comfortable pace. I had hoped to look at my HRM data after this race to see how high my HR gets during a 5K -- I would guess it reaches pretty close to HR Max. However, my HRM felt too tight before the race and I loosened it slightly before the start. Well, it slid down to my waist around the 1.5 mile mark, rendering it useless ... and annoying. No problem, just keep running. At the 2 mile point, the route crosses the Mississippi River on the Stone Arch Bridge. This was when we got to feel the full force of the 20 mph headwind, completely unprotected from any natural or man-made obstructions. This is also when some dude with big feet got right behind me and clomped his shoes like a horse. It sounded awful, like he had really bad running form and was going to exhaust himself. He kept that up until about mile 3, when he easily cruised past me. His running form didn't look so bad when he left me in his dust. I had a little bit of a finishing kick at the very end, and my splits for miles 2 and 3 were 6:26 and 6:31 respectively. The clock said something like 21:10 when I crossed the finish, but I'm not sure if they suspended the timer during the train delay or not. I forgot to stop my timer when I finished the race, so I don't even know how far off this was. Also, my Garmin said we only ran 3.06 miles, but it may have been even shorter than that...

So, no PR, no HRM data, the whole train fiasco x2, snow/rain/ice situation, and getting beaten by a horse/man. It wasn't pretty, but I think I finished top 12 or so. And my "team" may have placed first or second -- I'm still waiting for official results.

MTA: 9th overall (out of 264 total), 2nd in my age group, and our team (which ended up having its name spelled 2 different ways, so they counted us as 2 separate teams) placed 1st and 9th! (Our 1st place team didn't even have our 5 fastest times!)

oh my goodness....you were stopped, by a train!!??!!!  that is horrible....thankfully not your goal race!! still sounds like you ran a great race though, congrats!! you were clicking off the 6:30 miles like they were no big thing Smile You sound like you have set yourself up for a great marathon this summer!

Well, took Nobby's advice and found a 5K in three weeks (bonus...it's FREE!) sooooo, I am going to put my marathon training back a bit and start mid may to get in twenty weeks (possibly twenty one, need to count it out exactly) so Nobby said two weeks on, one week of taper. For my plan I did two weeks of hills, two weeks of intervals, and two weeks of coordination and two weeks of taper. Right now i am thinking one of my interval weeks and one of my coordination weeks. Does that sound right to you guys?

I'm wondering if SubDood's race report is one of those stories that make a lot more sense when you're drunk. Trains? Stomping horse-men? Are you sure it wasn't just a bad dream??

P.S. 6:30's are super-fast, congrats on a great finish despite bizarre competition and rail system interruptions...