Running-Wizard

Missed a lot of runs in the past 3 weeks..... what now??? (Read 32 times)

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

So I had a bad 2-3 weeks training-wise. Partly it was due to injury (well, pre-injury....my knee was really bugging me and it was scaring me, so in fear not to let it turn into a real injury I took several days off and iced, stretched, yoga-ed, foam rolled, ect but no running at all) and more of it was due to work crap that made running during the week almost impossible (I barely had time to eat or sleep....I am not one to make excuses but I was doing some sort of "work" either commuting, actually being at work, or doing a ton of paperwork at home for about 19 hours a day for a bit). Anywhoo....the last 2 weeks of my Aerobic Phase and first week of my Hills phase were pretty much shot. I was doing at most 3 runs per week (as opposed to 5) and they weren't really concurrent with any of the specified RW workouts, just doing as many miles as I could eek in.

So.....what now? Do I just jump back into the plan and do my 2nd week of Hills this week even though I didn't really do the first week? There were 3 scheduled weeks of Hills.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

The answer probably depends a bit on what distance you are training for and the length of your training plan (and each phase of it). In general, the advice is to jump back into your plan, making adjustments in speed and pace (i.e., selecting the lower ends of the range) until you adjust overall. However, the hill phase is considered to be fairly strenuous so I would suggest that you start with the first week of the hill phase and do the first 2 weeks of this part and then go to the next phase.

Last spring I was working off a shortened version of the marathon plan (16 weeks) that only included 2 weeks of hill work as compared to my current 24 week plan which has 4 weeks. So I think you can benefit from 2 weeks of hills.

Others with RW coaching experience may have more/better advice.

Oh, and I'm glad you are feeling better. Sounds like a rough patch.

2014 goals

1800 miles; 5k < 25:00; 10k < 53:00HM < 2:00

Upcoming:

NYC Half Marathon 3/16Boston Marathon 4/21; Newport Liberty HM 9/2; Trenton Half Marathon 10/8

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Thanks jerseyrunner..... I have off work for 3 weeks now so I am stress free and ready to focus on running. I am training for a half with a 20 week plan. It included 3 weeks of hills. But what was supposed to be week 1 included only a 4 mile PCR, a 4 mile aerobic run (which was shorter than it should have been) and a 9 mile long run. Hills and easy fartlek were skipped.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Ugh, that all sounds stressful. Thank goodness you have 3 weeks off!

During my last training cycle, I did "only" 3 hill workouts due to inclement weather (icy hills) and it was fine...so I think you would be ok just doing 2 weeks of hills and using the coming week to get back into running. I would just repeat the last aerobic week that you did (the 40km week) and see how you and your knee feel about it Smile

Good luck!