Running-Wizard

What days of the week are sched for a 5 day plan? (Read 32 times)

Supersono99

That's my question.  Smile

I'm considering a five day HM plan instead of the 4 day plan, but want to know what days would scheduled workouts be. Can you tell the plan what days you want?

Hi Super

My wife has a 5 day HM plan, with the long run being on a Saturday.

The Aerobic, Hills and Anaerobic phases (the first 18 weeks) have Sunday and Wednesday off.

The Coordination and Taper phases (the final 6 weeks) have Monday and Thursday off.

But she is always shuffling the rest days around to suit her schedule. When doing this the main thing to look out for is to avoid doing two hard workouts on consecutive days.

I don't think there is a way to tell the plan what rest days you would like, just the option to choose the long run day. If I remember correctly there were 3 options: Friday, Saturday or Sunday. It's been a few months since I bought my plan so I may have that wrong.

Geoff

Supersono99

Thanks, Geoff. Do you happen to recall if you can preview the plan with each of the choices for LR day to see how that changes it up during the week?

Sorry - I don't remember. I would expect that to be the case as I was able to make changes to many things - including the number of days of running before finalising my plan.

Hopefully someone who bought a plan more recently and isn't as old and forgetful as me will be able to help Smile

Geoff

Supersono99

That helped a lot. Thank you.

With 5 days and long run on Monday, it schedules Sat, Sun, Mon, Wed, Thurs in the early phases, then

Fri, Sat, Sun, Tues, Wed from Coordination on.

It allows you to specify long run day and number of days. I can't remember how much it allows you to preview, but I know I did have the opportunity to change the paces a bit. (I've never done a flat road race, don't train on such terrain usually, and races have some big hills so I usually run by effort / breathing / HR.)

It has some priority numbers as to which workouts are the most important if you have to drop one.

I changed a lot of things around to accommodate rest of life on random days. Normally, I do my long run on Mon, Tues, Wed, or Thurs and if I'm doing a b2b something like the out/back before the long run, I'd do the long run on Tues,Wed, or Thurs. (I'm retired so usually have business hours Mon-Thurs available, but may volunteer at races or on trail work days on  the weekends.)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
              Supersono99

Thanks. That's helpful.

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

I have a 5 day HM plan. I told it I usually do my LR on Saturday and the plan gave me running Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday (in aerobic phase). But that doesn't work with my life as well.....  I have a CRAZY work schedule during the week and I am LUCKY if I can eek out 3 runs (sometimes I have to let #5 ranked one go....which is usually a short recovery paced jog at this point of the plan), but have plenty of time to get my runs in on weekends so I really need to run for the most part Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday....so I just switch my runs around as needed. I know it is probably not ideal for the intended order of the plan but if I can't run 4 weekdays then I can't run 4 weekdays, and I would rather do the days out of order if that means I have a better chance at completing more runs.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Supersono99

Kristin, I wonder if that takes away from any benefits of the prescribed run order. I totally understand having to modify around life! I fer I will need to modify like you describe, but differently each week.

JML

In my experience, the combination of out+back and long run is key.  My 4 day RW HM plan put these every Saturday(O+B) and Sunday(Long) and I think that this combo really drove my fitness to another level.  That being said, life sometimes gets in the way so don't stress too much if you need to adapt the order to fit your schedule.  I commute 3+ hours per day and need to occasionally get creative to get my runs in.  I still seem to be getting faster so no real damage is done.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Supersono99

In my experience, the combination of out+back and long run is key.  My 4 day RW HM plan put these every Saturday(O+B) and Sunday(Long) and I think that this combo really drove my fitness to another level.  That being said, life sometimes gets in the way so don't stress too much if you need to adapt the order to fit your schedule.  I commute 3+ hours per day and need to occasionally get creative to get my runs in.  I still seem to be getting faster so no real damage is done.

JML, in your opinion, how many minutes difference in my race tine do you estimate a 5 day plan vs a 4 day plan might make for someone with low mileage like me?

JML

JML, in your opinion, how many minutes difference in my race tine do you estimate a 5 day plan vs a 4 day plan might make for someone with low mileage like me?

I think that it is hard to put a specific number on the potential time difference.  There are too many other factors at work that could impact your time on race day.  While I think that the RW plan generator will indicate a difference in finishing time if you play with the inputs before finalizing the plan, I think that it is just an indication of the difference and I would not focus too heavily on these numbers.

Will you be better prepared if you can do 5 days vs 4?  Absolutely.  If it will be a struggle to get in 5 days, I recommend going with 4.    You could also take the option that I am doing in my current cycle where I signed up for 5 and occasionally need to drop the 5th ranked run due to scheduling reasons.  This might be a happy medium for you.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Supersono99

JML, thank you for that suggestion. I think that might be a good compromise as I don't believe I can regularly get 5 days in, but would like to try as often as possible. I just don't know if it would stress me out to keep missing workout, lol.