Running-Wizard

Heat and humidity vs the plan (Read 28 times)

I'm starting a RW plan June 16th. Today I tried one of the runs from the first week. It was supposed to be an aerobic run, 10 miles in 1:40.  I made it 6+ miles in 1:30 (I remembered the time wrong... oops). I was able to keep my heart rate and rpe in the correct range, but had to stop and walk a few times going up the steeper hills due to overheating. It was 80 degrees with 80% humidity and no air movement at all! I should probably note that even when cool out I wouldn't have been able to run 10 miles in 1:40 on this route while keeping it easy (I'd be somewhere around 8.5 miles), but it's one of my favorites.

Obviously I am not very heat adapted yet, despite ~3 weeks of running in heat and humidity.

I think that the time spend at the right effort level is the most important thing (particularly for the aerobic runs). My hope is that by continuing to do runs like this I will adapt -- it's going to be a long hot humid summer-- so I don't want to break out all my heat busting strategies like pre-cooling, carrying extra ice water to pour over myself, and ice down the back of my vest on easy runs. All bets are off for the harder days. I'll do whatever I can to stay cool enough to do those as close to the plan as possible.

What do you guys think? Does this sound reasonable? Or do I need to be more concerned with the mileage on the aerobic run days?

Mt Cheaha 50k 2/23/2013:  7:34 :D

Lake Martin 50; 27 miles: 5:29:07

Run For Kids 50k, Birmingham, 5/4/2013: 6:26:33 Woot!

I think the general concencous is that time is more important than distance with Running Wizard plans. We have had a very mild, even pretty cool, start to summer where I am at, so right now I am running really well, but I know as soon as the midwest summer weather gets here i will also have to adjust for temps/humidity

Obligatory runner.

You were within 10 minutes of the suggested time for that run. I'd say that's just fine! (For each workout, the plan gives you a range for mileage/time/pace and 1:30 must be within the suggested time range. Which is, I believe, more important than the exact mileage.)

MTA: oops, Christirei answered while I was typing. Yeah. What she said.

Thanks for the confirmation that the time is the key factor. I'll stick to that and hopefully the distances will get more in line as I adapt to the summer temps.

This will be my first summer of really trying to train. Should be interesting.

Mt Cheaha 50k 2/23/2013:  7:34 :D

Lake Martin 50; 27 miles: 5:29:07

Run For Kids 50k, Birmingham, 5/4/2013: 6:26:33 Woot!