Running-Wizard

Summertime runs and suggested pace, HR (Read 32 times)

On the road back

Just curious if anyone else has seen the humidity and heat of summer affect the suggested guidelines of the plan.

My first time through the plan, it seemed like every run I hit the pace and HR dead on within the recommendations, but this time, some runs my AHR is just a bit higher.  I'm wondering how much I should contribute to the first time doing it in the winter months and this time in the summer months.

2013 Goals: Run more. Smile while I do it. Complete 2 marathons in a year. (1 down, 1 to go)

Hungry

Just curious if anyone else has seen the humidity and heat of summer affect the suggested guidelines of the plan.

My first time through the plan, it seemed like every run I hit the pace and HR dead on within the recommendations, but this time, some runs my AHR is just a bit higher.  I'm wondering how much I should contribute to the first time doing it in the winter months and this time in the summer months.

I'm only guessing, but I would think that heat and humidity would be pretty big factors. I have heard of "cardiac drift" as a phenomenon that causes HR to drift upwards on long runs due to loss of water from sweat loss -- if this really occurs, seems it would be much more a factor in summer heat and humidity.

JML

Heat and humidity definitely is a factor in the pace of my runs.  My last long run was done in hot/humid conditions and my pace was slower as a result (RW suggested: 8:41 Actual: 9:07).  I try to focus on running the recommended overall duration for the runs and let the pace float to adjust for both the weather and how I am feeling.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

I was either on the very slow end of my pace range all week or even a hair slower. Every single one of my runs were reallllly humid. I tried to run by effort and not push the pace too much....it was also my highest mileage week ever so far so I tried not to stress about what my Garmin said....glad I am not alone in this!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to