Running-Wizard

5/31 week recap and races this weekend (Read 23 times)

Hungry

northernman: Really sorry to hear about the PF issues. I wish you the best. I saw the advice regarding whether to change shoes or not (from ASICS to Altra zero drop shoes). The only thing I might add is that the running gait/style needs to change if you are changing to lower or zero drop shoes. I bought Vibram Fivefingers a couple of years ago and made a VERY gradual transition, modifying my running gait as I went. The 4mm shoes that RunSaintRun recommended (Saucony Kinvaras) were a part of my transition. I did not start racing or training for races until a full year of making the transition. For me, it was worth the investment of time (fewer injuries, stronger calves and achilles, etc.). I'm just not sure if I could've handled the mileage of a RW Marathon plan while also making that transition. I really hope you heal up soon!
    christirei: Sorry to hear about the failed sump pump and basement flooding. I hope I didn't pass along my "bad luck" streak to you -- our basement flooded 2 weeks ago and we are still working on a long-term solution. Regarding the high mileage of the marathon plan, I trust you'll experience what I did -- it sounds and feels like a TON of miles initially, but then your body adapts and it becomes the new normal. I'm in the Coordination Phase now, and some of the speed work gives me more anxiety than a Long Aerobic Run would.
    runharrietrun: I hope you feel better in time to run your hälf märäthön on June 2nd (despite the mercury dropping on the RI thermometer). Too many setbacks! You are due for an off-the-charts home run, imho.
    frank777: Just 5 weeks until the Gold Coast Marathon, Frank is looking forward to tapering! Good luck, Frank! I've heard that the Taper Phase can induce a form of temporary insanity. I start my taper in about a week, but I'm already crazy, so no worries here.

This weekend is also a big weekend for races:

RunSaintRun is running the "Race to the Villa 5K" this Saturday (June 1st). His goal is 21:00 minutes after setting a 5K PR of 21:28 just 4 weeks ago. Good luck, RSR!
    Josh Sutcliffe has the North Olympic Discovery Half Marathon in Washington State on Sunday, June 2nd. This is not a RW "goal" race -- but who knows? His PR for the Half Marathon is 1:24:17. (Holy crap, that's fast!)  If I recall correctly, Josh just moved from North Carolina to Washington, and is on the "extended" base-building plan. Good luck, Josh!
    Runharrietrun is (hopefully?!?) running the Potsdamer Schlösserlauf (BTW, umläuts rock!) on Sunday, June 2nd. The Schlösserlauf is a Half Marathon in which, if all goes well, she will channel her inner Zatopek and erase any memories of the millet debacle! RHR's goal is to "FDR" (Finish Darn Race) rather than PR, although I would not be surprised by a sub-1:40 result. GoHarrietGo!

Lastly, there have been 6 PR's set in the past 6 or 7 weeks by the runners in this forum (2 of those were Christirei!). Results here. There may be more, of course -- if so, please share your stories and results. Special congrats and thanks to JML who, in addition to creating this forum, did the unimaginable and blew past his 5K PR by well over a minute!  Very inspiring!

Thanks, congrats, good luck, and get well (as appropriate)!!

RunSaintRun

Hi,

Well ran my 5K goal race today. Ran a PR but not a huge one like I was hoping. I ran a hilly 5K about 4 weeks ago and had a 35 second PR. I was hoping because this course was flat I would be able to run better but managed a 3 or 4 second PR. In the hilly 5K temps were ideal for me, 40's vs. 75 degrees or so at the start of today's race.... I could tell after the first mile it wouldn't be a record shattering race. 1st mile split was 6:55. Missed the hand off for some water by a young child that was volunteering at the ½ way point. Oh well.... was planning on dumping that on my head. Started struggling in the second mile, quads were letting me know I was at the limit, mile 2 split 7:02. I kept telling myself during the 3rd mile this is the race I've been training for, leave everything on the course. Did I mention I kept telling myself during the third mile this is the race I've been training for, leave everything on the course?? I repeated that Mantra several times.... because I really, really needed to. Mile 3 split 6:59. Finished the race with and overall time around 21:25. Finished 5th overall (small field) and 1st in AG(50-59?). I even got a medal for my hard work!! This race was sentimental for me because this is the elementary school where my daughter's, and unbeknownst to me at the time, my running career started. I got involved in running after a parent's/kid meet 3 years ago..... yes all the 6 grade girls beat me handily in the 100M and 400M. I didn't realize how out of shape I had become. I've come a long way since then, and have enjoyed every step along the way, well most steps anyways!! If the running gods are kind to me I plan on running many years from now!!

RSR

Well, my race weekend was slightly different than planned, and the explanation requires a bit of non-running info:

The plan was to move to the PNW as soon as our house in NC sold. The trip to Port Angeles and the NODM race was to keep the move-dream alive in this miserable seller's economy. Then a couple of weeks ago we found a perfect house to rent (very accommodating to our three dogs) and decided to get it, even if it meant moving out there with an unsold house here. This is an incredibly stupid financial decision, but our house has been on the market for a year and we're about to lose our minds. FORTUNATELY, right after we rented the new home in Port Angeles, we got an offer on our house and it's now under contract. Whew!

The upshot of all this is that we cancelled our trip to Port Angeles since we're moving there less then a month later and it turns out vacations are really expensive. As bummed as we are to miss this race, we're happy to have a little more time to say goodbye to our friends here. And by "say goodbye" I mean run a bunch of races!

The disciplined base-building plan has devolved into my usual too-much-on-my-plate plan, but that's ok. I'll resume the smart running upon arrival in our new home.

Here's a quick recap of the last two races:

TOUGH STRUTTER 5K (May 26)

Absurd 5K on gnarly loose rock trails with almost 1700ft of elevation change. Last year I took a few wrong turns, but not this year thanks to a bunch of personalized WRONG WAY JOSH!!! signs put up on the course. The first hill turned my legs to jelly, but I still managed to finish in second place (far) behind some young guy from VMI (Virginia Military Institute) in over twenty-eight minutes. That's about ten minutes slower than what my normal 5K time would be right now. Tough Strutter indeed.

INDOOR INSANITY MARATHON RELAY (June 2)

At the JDL track in Winston Salem, NC. I ran on a team of four: my wife and our friends Scott and Sherri from Durham. We were team Born To Pun, and we wore hats with fins on them. You know, indoor fins (say it out loud). We each ran two 5Ks each, with one last 0.5K lap to give us the greatest chance of throwing up at the end. I actually ran 7K for my first lap, because my wife got overheated in her plastic dolphin hat and needed me to take over early. No vomiting, but I did manage to run each km under four minutes. The four of us did manage to cumulatively beat my last marathon time, so WIN!

Next week will be our last race in the southeast (for a while, anyway; there are certainly races I would love to do again if the opportunity arises). It's a 10K on the PTI Airport runway. INCREDIBLY boring and mentally taxing, but kind of fun and serene in it's own way. This will be my last chance for a PR for a while. The only 10Ks I've done have been on hills, so maybe I'm in race-shape to be fast enough on a flat to beat my previous time of 38:48. I'd have to run a little faster than I did at the track this weekend though, so it might not happen. More importantly, My good friend and rival will be there, so really all that matters is that I beat him.

A lot of big changes in my life right now, but I'm holding it together. All the easy running is the glue!

zonykel

INDOOR INSANITY MARATHON RELAY (June 2)

At the JDL track in Winston Salem, NC. I ran on a team of four: my wife and our friends Scott and Sherri from Durham. We were team Born To Pun, and we wore hats with fins on them. You know, indoor fins (say it out loud). We each ran two 5Ks each, with one last 0.5K lap to give us the greatest chance of throwing up at the end. I actually ran 7K for my first lap, because my wife got overheated in her plastic dolphin hat and needed me to take over early. No vomiting, but I did manage to run each km under four minutes. The four of us did manage to cumulatively beat my last marathon time, so WIN!

Moving is a PITA, and selling your house compounds the PITA. Good luck.

I thought about running that indoor insanity race, but didn't have a partner. Maybe next year with better planning on my part. Was the indoor area air conditioned?

Moving is a PITA, and selling your house compounds the PITA. Good luck.

I thought about running that indoor insanity race, but didn't have a partner. Maybe next year with better planning on my part. Was the indoor area air conditioned?

It was sort of air conditioned; it was very comfortable around most of it, but there were a couple of "extreme" spots. One area was on the warm side and the air felt stagnant, another area was right past the blowing fans. That is, cooling devices, not... nevermind. Everybody was very sweaty. All in all, not too bad. I do not recommend running in a plastic dolphin hat, unless you're really committed to the pun.

The race itself was, perhaps surprisingly, a LOT of fun! It felt like a running version of an F1 race. Great food during and after, and good beer is always nice.

Hungry

RunSaintRun: Congrats! PR and First in Age Group! Great story, too!  Hey, a 3-second PR gives you a great chance of setting yet another PR soon!

Josh: Congrats on getting an offer on your house! And on the Tough Strutter. And on the Insanity Relay -- but mostly on the awesome pun: Indoor fins. Did you have to explain that repeatedly to people at the race? Any pictures you can share of your team in your dolphin hats? (I once tried to post a picture of my wife here, but she made me take it down. She wasn’t even wearing a plastic dolphin hat or anything!)

RunHarrietRun: I hope you are feeling better. I think your Recovery Indicators were trending downward last time I heard – I hope things are improving in that regard.  Sorry about the umlaut jokes and millet jokes.

Josh: Congrats on getting an offer on your house! And on the Tough Strutter. And on the Insanity Relay -- but mostly on the awesome pun: Indoor fins. Did you have to explain that repeatedly to people at the race? Any pictures you can share of your team in your dolphin hats? (I once tried to post a picture of my wife here, but she made me take it down. She wasn’t even wearing a plastic dolphin hat or anything!)

My first choice was an "ants" theme, but couldn't find anything.

I'm hoping there are some better pictures out there to be shared, but until they're posted this is all I've got:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4927037973812

They were wearing blinky shark fins, I had a dolphin. The shark fins were impossible to run in.

The house being under contract is a big relief, however it could still fall through. Then there's the general stress of lots of large money transactions in a condensed period of time. Ack.