Running-Wizard

I've done it! Ordered RW! (Read 47 times)

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Thanks so much for your advice everyone! You all really seem to believe in this plan and have convinced me! I bought my plan! 20 week HM plan starting after my 10K in May.

A few concerns:

Maybe I should have started after my 10 mile race in June instead..... I wanted to do long runs of 7-9 miles in late May and early June to be ready for the 10M on June 15th, but the RW program only has me doing 5.5-6 mile runs during this time. Can I do longer long runs during this time without messing anything up?

Also, I am concerned about how short the long runs are in general! The LONGEST long run in the entire half marathon plan is 9 miles, and it is 9 weeks before the race. How can I possibly expect to do 13.1 if my longest run in training is only 9 miles, and in the 2 months before the race I run nothing over 8 miles?!?! Is that right? Is there some theory behind that? I feel like that will only lead to me feeling woefully unprepared and under confident about the race distance of a half. Can someone explain this? Thanks!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Scroll down the forum page and read the longest long run thread, answers the question pretty well there And welcome to Running Wizard!
      JML

Welcome aboard!   Please do share reports of your progress and any questions that you may have in this group.  There are a fair number of people here going through the first pass at a RW plan and some of us have used it more than once.

There are some differences between RW and 'tradtional' running plans.  You picked up on one of the subtleties in the long run distance in your particular plan.  As Christirei pointed out, there is a good thread in this forum that covers this topic well.  In short, the plan is more about the cumulative training load than it is about one particular long run per week.  If you are consistent with observing the pacing and length guidlines suggested by the plan (particularly in the aerobic base phase), you will have the endurance necessary to complete your half.

Good luck!

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Thanks.... read through the "Longest Long Run" thread, it was helpful. But brings me to my next question...

That thread mentioned the order of the runs are very important (ie out and back the day before a LR, ect). In my "interview" it asked how many days I wanted to run (I said 5) but not which days. It gave me a Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday schedule. Most weeks, I prefer to run both Saturday and Sunday, as I work 12 hour days during the week and I can manage 2-3 runs on weekdays but I would prefer not to do 4. So if I wanted to modify the plan to run Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday Friday, Saturday, does that change the order I need to do my runs instead of just switching Monday's run to Sunday?

Thanks!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

Yeah, you might need to space it out a bit so you aren't running four days in a row, maybe start Sunday, run monday, take tues off then do we'd and thurs but take Friday off....plan to do your long run Sunday instead of sat. So your training week still starts on Monday but you have altered the days off
            kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

The only thing is Wednesday I take a class at the gym, and I can't both run and take it. So I'd prefer Weds as a non-running day, then my other off day be Monday or Friday. Is 4 days in a row bad?

Obligatory runner.

The only thing is Wednesday I take a class at the gym, and I can't both run and take it. So I'd prefer Weds as a non-running day, then my other off day be Monday or Friday. Is 4 days in a row bad?

It's not bad, as such, I think Christirei probably suggested that because your plan (apparently) has you running in 2- and 3-day blocks. So if you run 4 days in a row, it's not exactly what your plan envisioned. I can see how that would be less than ideal because you'd then be running 4-off-1-off...

Also: Congratulations on your new training plan Smile

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

So basically I should part with my class at the gym (bummer....I really enjoy it and it kicks my butt....and I pay all that money for a gym membership that I can't get out of, and this class is the only one I can take), or run Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri Sat and take Sunday off, yes? Bummer. I like running both Sat and Sun because I usually have more time and freedom to enjoy my runs, try new places, ect on weekends, and don't need to wake up before 5:00am to do so. Anyway though....if I do switch days around what is the order of the runs?

Obligatory runner.

What does the schedule look like exactly?

JML

I would probably recommend against running 4 days in a row, but everyone has a different rate of recovery and tolerance for training.   I also have scheduling challenges caused by a 3 hour / day commute so I sometimes find myself running on a compressed timeline.   If you do end up having to stack up multiple runs, I would strongly recommend using the recovery indicators on the RW site.  This will give you a  good indication as to how well your body is tolerating the stress of training, and will be useful in avoiding a situation where you end up overtraining without enough recovery.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

What does the schedule look like exactly?

Aerobic 5/27/2013
                        Monday

Easy Fartlek

2.5 mi

(2 - 2.5 mi)

28:00

(23:00 - 31:00)

11:53 / mi

(12:57 - 11:13 / mi)

2 - 6 142 186
                        Aerobic 5/28/2013
                        Tuesday

Aerobic Run

4 mi

(3 - 4.5 mi)

45:00

(38:00 - 50:00)

11:49 / mi

(12:54 - 11:12 / mi)

3 - 5 153 176
                          5/29/2013
                        Wednesday

Rest Day

Aerobic 5/30/2013
                        Thursday

Jog

1.5 mi

(1 - 2 mi)

20:00

(17:00 - 23:00)

12:54 / mi

(14:02 - 12:14 / mi)

1 - 3 131 153
                        Aerobic 5/31/2013
                        Friday

Out & Back

3 mi

(2.5 - 3.5 mi)

33:00

(29:00 - 36:00)

11:09 / mi

(12:08 - 10:30 / mi)

4 - 7 164 191
                        Aerobic 6/1/2013
                        Saturday

Long Aerobic Run

5.5 mi

(4.5 - 6.5 mi)

1:07:00

(57:00 - 1:13:00)

11:58 / mi

(13:03 - 11:22 / mi)

3 - 5 153 176

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Currently, I run Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. I decided to add a 5th day for my RW plan because I have been doing well with 4, and I know for a half marathon I will need more weekly mileage to get the results I want. I guess I didn't think through the logistics of adding a 5th day. I guess I will probably have to give up my class at the gym.... bummer. But an extra day of running is more beneficial than cross training right? I just feel like I get such a good cardio benefit from cross training. This is the ONLY class I can take though (Wednesday morning).

Obligatory runner.

Currently, I run Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. I decided to add a 5th day for my RW plan because I have been doing well with 4, and I know for a half marathon I will need more weekly mileage to get the results I want. I guess I didn't think through the logistics of adding a 5th day. I guess I will probably have to give up my class at the gym.... bummer. But an extra day of running is more beneficial than cross training right? I just feel like I get such a good cardio benefit from cross training. This is the ONLY class I can take though (Wednesday morning).

Hmm. Honestly? I suspect you may find the running more challenging than you're used to, and not really need/want the x-training. Especially if it's one of those classes that really beats you up! You could, btw, easily just switch Monday's run (easy jog) to Sunday. A short easy jog is just as good as a rest day imo. You should just be prepared to go, you know, really slow. Like a jog Smile So you would be doing 4 days in a row, but one of those days would be super easy.

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

One could argue even my all-out 5K pace is pretty damn slow Big grin

Hmm. Honestly? I suspect you may find the running more challenging than you're used to, and not really need/want the x-training. Especially if it's one of those classes that really beats you up! You could, btw, easily just switch Monday's run (easy jog) to Sunday. A short easy jog is just as good as a rest day imo. You should just be prepared to go, you know, really slow. Like a jog Smile So you would be doing 4 days in a row, but one of those days would be super easy.

Obligatory runner.

dude, have you ever seen professional runners? like, sub-15-min 5k women? We are ALL damn slow when you look at how they run. Late in the rw plan, you do a lot of 100m sprints. A fun trick is to go all out and see how close to, say, shalane flanagan's recent 10k pace you can get. I could keep up for 100m...

Anyway, I predict you will be in the 24 min 5k range before you know it Big grin

One could argue even my all-out 5K pace is pretty damn slow Big grin