Running-Wizard

Preparing for Hills (Read 26 times)

I'm currently on week 9 of a RW 24-week marathon training plan and I see that the Hills Phase starts in 2 weeks. I remember someone pointing out that the plan suggests that you start preparing for this phase a couple of weeks in advance and when I checked the details of my plan, sure enough, it stated, "This is a very demanding exercise; you should start working on your legs during the last 2 or 3 weeks of your Aerobic Conditioning Phase to prepare your legs." My question is how do I do this? Any thoughts on what is can do now -- start incorporating more hills, do leg squats, what?

2014 goals

1800 miles; 5k < 25:00; 10k < 53:00HM < 2:00

Upcoming:

NYC Half Marathon 3/16Boston Marathon 4/21; Newport Liberty HM 9/21

JML

I would recommend simply doing one or more of your runs on a hillier course than normal.  This is what I do to prepare and it seems to work well to prepare the legs for the added stress of hill bounding.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

+1

Just use at least one rolling hill course per week, if you haven't already. And if you haven't been running hills, do at most one hill run a week. (some of us normally run hills, so it's not a big deal)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
        perryw

I would recommend simply doing one or more of your runs on a hillier course than normal.  This is what I do to prepare and it seems to work well to prepare the legs for the added stress of hill bounding.

Can you describe "bounding"?  I'm not sure what my legs should be doing when bounding.

"Find a hill about 200 to 400m in length; go up the hill with a bouncy action and a good posture, concentrating on a good knee lift and arm swing with a “snap” with your ankle"

That doesn't make too much sense to me... Blush  And if the workout is 35 minutes... does that mean 35 minutes up and down that 200 - 400m hill, or series of hills if I can find an area with a couple of rises?

My Thursday night short jog is with my running group, but I go off in a different direction and run on a "undulating" path.. I think I could just go up and down that path a couple times to reach the 35 minutes.

PerryW

JML posted a thread called Hill Bounding Video

or something close to that. It is on page two of the forum threads. it was extremely helpful to me to know what they mean by that! it will change the way you think of hills! I think this video is also on the Running Wizard website

Is that video still there? I used to link to it for years, but not getting a missing page (404) msg. It looks like they've rearranged a lot of things at Lydiard Foundation and I can't find some of the stuff anymore. Or am I just not looking in the right places. Nobby?

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
              JML

The video has been removed as part of the website rebuild that is in progress.  I actually have a video of Nobby doing the hill workout that I shot in Boulder a few weeks ago that I need to edit and post here.  I will try to sort this out in the next few days.

In the meantime, this video roughly approximates the bounding motion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1EvhPf6DPg

On the other questions, the workout time does not include the warmup and cooldown but you should be careful to do only one set of hills the first time you do this workout.  It is physically taxing and carries a risk of injury so this is definitely a time to be cautious.  My hill workout typically includes repeats of the following:

- 15 minutes of warmup including a few strides at the end

- Bound up a 400 meter hill (remember this is bounding, not sprinting)

- Jog a recovery at the top of for a few minutes, jog down the hill and finish with a stride to prepare for the next repeat

I keep doing repeats until my form starts to degrade due to muscle fatigue or I hit the recommended time and then I jog home to cool down.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Supersono99

Can recovery at the top be walking, or would that be counterproductive?