Running-Wizard

How to get back on plan? (Read 28 times)

Nuinta

Hi - this is my first time on a RW plan .. My goal race is in about 11 weeks ... I've been doing my aerobic runs, and until the last week, hasn't missed any runs.  Went on vacation to Disneyland, and did the 10K/half marathon challenge.  On my plan, my Friday out and back was supposed to be around 5 miles, and my Saturday long run was supposed to be around 8 miles.  Starting last Wednesday, I did a mini-taper - slower, less mileage while traveling.  Saturday I did the 10K, and Sunday the half.  I DID NOT RACE them.  My 10k time was slower than my past 10K's but faster than scheduled out and back by maybe 30 sec pr mile.  Sundays half, again, not as fast as my past half's and around 30-45 sec/mile slower than the scheduled long run.  after 10K i felt fine; after the half i was very tired, quads a bit sore, but the biggest bother was discomfort to ball of left foot (i feel like I'm walking on a nerve; I'll try to see a podiatrist if it doesn't go away). On the past three days I've done slow recovery run, only 1-2 miles per day, aerobic only.

I have this week and next week left in aerobic training, and then start hills.  How do I jump back into training? I should have done a 7 mile aerobic run today, but only did 1.5 m because we had to head to airport - today is first day my foot felt well enough that I feel like I could have done 3-4 miles without a problem.  Should I try for a 4 ish mile aerobic run tomorrow, do my out and back Friday (scheduled for 4 miles), and then a long run Saturday (scheduled for 8 miles I think)?

Thoughts?

thanks!

since you are achy just try the scheduled runs, run slower than the pace given or aim for the lower end of the mileage suggested, if you feel good - great, otherwise back off and take it easy. next week try to get back on track with your runs

Obligatory runner.

since you are achy just try the scheduled runs, run slower than the pace given or aim for the lower end of the mileage suggested, if you feel good - great, otherwise back off and take it easy. next week try to get back on track with your runs

I agree! Just recover with some slow running (and if you can't even hit the lowest suggested mileage, so be it, don't worry about it) and then continue with the plan next week/start hills as scheduled. Good luck!

JML

+1 on this and I would add that you should use the recovery indicators to make sure that your body tolerates the training stress as you ease back into the plan.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...