The Evils of Pop/Soda (Read 1198 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Soda is basically in the same category as candy. So why do people insist on having it with every meal? Would you have a candy bar with every meal? On the rare occasions that I crave something sweet and bubbly to drink, a little maple syrup in seltzer water is quite refreshing. And I know exactly what's in it. Can't say the same for Coke. All those dyes, preservatives, and flavor enhancers just give me the heeby-jeebies. And diet sodas are even worse. Doesn't even count as food. My bet is that the people of the future laugh at us for some of the stupid stuff we eat and drink these days. On the other hand, I have no idea why XC coaches seem to have this fixation on soda. I remember hearing the same advice. Why stop at soda? Or if you're not going to talk about nutrition in general, why bother with soda at all? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Perhaps there's some specific "soda slows you down" old wives tale circulating among XC coaches.
    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
    Scout7

Perhaps there's some specific "soda slows you down" old wives tale circulating among XC coaches.
      Partly that. The carbonation and acidity can cause upset stomach, especially when coupled with the jostling from running 5k all-out over rough terrain. I've seen it happen, and the end result was on display for all....

Burninated Peasant

Soda is basically in the same category as candy. So why do people insist on having it with every meal? Would you have a candy bar with every meal?
        I plead the fifth.
          i've seen the bone density thing debated back and forth for years (first time i encountered the issue was in 8th grade, reading Diet for a New America i think?), and i think most people who argue that soda negatively impacts bone density cite the phosphoric acid changing the pH of the blood to the point that calcium is leached from the bones into the blood to rebalance the pH. that is the argument; i have no idea if it's valid (trent? bueller?) i have had coaches/chem teachers/profs/fire safety reps/etc advise against any carbonation before exercise b/c red cells favor carbon dioxide & monoxide over oxygen (or rather, carry it more readily), so oxygen will be displaced by carbon dioxide taken in through soda before a run and the blood running through your muscles will not be as oxygen-rich, and will fatigue more quickly. (trent? bueller? please chime in if my coaches were miserable liars...!) the only thing i know for sure is that folks who tend to drink more soda are folks who tend to need more dental work*. w/ high school students, this usually means more appointments after school (if parents value academics over athletics) and this means more missed practices. *what Run2Win said about coke being an excellent cleaning agent is true-- every year during our dental hygiene study, we drop a dirty, tarnished penny into a shot glass of coke, cover it, and leave it for a week. by the end of the week, the penny is all clean and shiny as new. so that the kids don't come away with the very mistaken idea that they should use coke as mouthwash to get their teeth shiny, we also drop a tooth in with the penny (you can get mammal teeth from science supply catalogs) and take it out at the same time and look at the damage done. coke** is like CLR-- great at removing rust, lime... and calcium. ** that said, i still think coke the most satisfying non-alcoholic thing in the world to drink with pizza, fries or mac & cheese (anything salty, really).
            Partly that. The carbonation and acidity can cause upset stomach, especially when coupled with the jostling from running 5k all-out over rough terrain. I've seen it happen, and the end result was on display for all....
            ha, one of the joys of the beer mile, btw.

Just keep running...

Well, I must admit I drink my fair share of tasty caffeinated beverages (Soda), but than again I am a geek and love them. Whats the big deal, everything is bad if you are not smart about it. My diet may not be the greatest but I can freely admit that I am healthier than a 90% of my fellow Americans, (cant say that about the running ahead community though ;-) I really think that the body is FAR more capable that we excuse driven humans want to admit. With the right balance of exercise whats the big deal?
                You mean 10% of Americans are healthier than you? That does NOT sound good, pal...
                GP160

I concur. Big grin
                  So F'n funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Ironman Louisville 8-30-09

Well, on an off topic note, I just found the first person that was really ripping me off and claiming my work as his own. He had stolen 40+ of my articles, which gave me my first reason to have to actually send a cease and desist letter. Blah. Back on topic, while on that site I found another person that he ripped off, and one of the articles that was ripped off was somewhat relevant to this thread. Note that this link is NOT to the person that ripped me off, but is directly to another person that got ripped off: Love Coke? Good. Now Drink Your Water.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Well, on an off topic note, I just found the first person that was really ripping me off and claiming my work as his own. He had stolen 40+ of my articles, which gave me my first reason to have to actually send a cease and desist letter. Blah.
                      Did he at least remix it? Big grin (Agreed, it's bad someone stole your work.) Drinking Soda Can Make You Fat. Boy, There's a Surprise.

Vim

I have always drank a lot of pop, but after I started running and training for my first 10-K, I gave it up for about 3 months. There is definitely an addiction, because for the first 2 weeks or so, I was totally thrown off and really craved it. From then on, I was fine, but at 3 months, I have slowly started drinking it again. Now I'm back to where I was before but I figure that as long as I keep running, I'm better off than I was. But about the diet pop, I hear (don't know too much about it) that diet is actually worse for you than regular because it has aspartyme (I think that is what it's called), which is apparently not good for you???
                        keep running!
                        Ed4

Barefoot and happy

But about the diet pop, I hear (don't know too much about it) that diet is actually worse for you than regular because it has aspartyme (I think that is what it's called), which is apparently not good for you???
                          There are plenty of reasons to be wary of aspartame. The fact is, nobody knows for sure what aspartame will do to you in the long term, because in the grand scheme of things it's still brand new. Personally, I stick with foods that people have been eating safely for hundreds of years...
                          Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                            Aspartame does not just go into low fat fizzy pop. You find this stuff in sugar free gum, some low fat youghurts, fruit juice, and loads of other places besides. Read the labels, in the current market where its considered cool to sell the healthy alternative - more often than not you get aspartame sweetner in products. If i really wanted a bottle of pop i would take the regular sugary one over the lite aspartame alternative (thats just my opinion btw)...
                            Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
                              If i really wanted a bottle of pop i would take the regular sugary one over the lite aspartame alternative (thats just my opinion btw)...
                              Same here. I'd take HFCS over Splenda, aspartame, or saccharin.

Vim

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I'm writing an article on the correlation between tea intake and decreased risk of osteoporosis, and I've come across a couple papers that show a correlation between caffeine intake and increased risk of osteoporosis (no one knows why tea may be the exception). Incidentally, the carbonation does not appear to have any effect on bone health. A quick journal search for soda and osteoporosis reveals an interesting paper in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, here. I have to admit, I haven't read it, because I'm a little busy, so I have no idea how good it is, but the results are interesting: Results: Cola intake was associated with significantly lower (P  0.001– 0.05) BMD at each hip site, but not the spine, in women but not in men. The meanBMDof those with daily cola intake was 3.7% lower at the femoral neck and 5.4% lower at Ward’s area than of those who consumed1 serving cola/mo. Similar results were seen for diet cola and, although weaker, for decaffeinated cola. No significant relations between noncola carbonated beverage consumption and BMD were observed. Total phosphorus intake was not significantly higher in daily cola consumers than in nonconsumers; however, the calcium-to-phosphorus ratios were lower. Conclusions: Intake of cola, but not of other carbonated soft drinks, is associated with low BMD in women. Additional research is needed to confirm these findings.