Garmin 405 vs 305 (Read 3125 times)

To make your choice even more difficult: Apparently there is a new type forerunner coming. Although Garmin doesn't tell anything about it. You may take a look on this thread.
    Slower half

I have had a 305 for a couple of years now. I love it, so I won't be going to the 405 any time soon. I transitioned to the 305 from the (non-GPS) Polar F6 or something like that. The Garmin 305 HR monitor works as well or better than the Polar, it just doesn't transmit to any of the treadmills, trainers, etc... It is such a relief to just go out and run whenever and wherever you'd like without having to go back and map out the course. The 305 data imports cleanly into Running Ahead now as well. (I'd imagine the 405, or whatever newer version comes out, will be the same in that regard.) Do I completely trust the distance? Heck no..., but it is nice to have a reference. Both times I have run the CM1/2, my 305 showed 13.25 miles or so and miscalculated my pace by about 6 s/mile. (I took that into account the second time) Just some thoughts. Slower Half
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

To make your choice even more difficult: Apparently there is a new type forerunner coming. Although Garmin doesn't tell anything about it. You may take a look on this thread.
        Dude...if that is released and the price is right I might pull the trigger. It looks like a sleeker version of the 305. I'd give my current 305 to my bestie who could really benefit from that. I've never even used the HRM that came with mine after well over a year.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

yeah, 50m dive and a batterylifetime of 20 hour. Looks great Smile
          xor

Dude...if that is released and the price is right I might pull the trigger.
            If you can guess the price within 10 dollars, you get both! But don't go over.

I Do I completely trust the distance? Heck no..., but it is nice to have a reference. Both times I have run the CM1/2, my 305 showed 13.25 miles or so and miscalculated my pace by about 6 s/mile. (I took that into account the second time) Slower Half
              Typically GPS will show a further distance run than what a course is marked at. Because, you dont run the perfect line--zig-zagging around other runners--not taking the most efficient line around turns, etc... They are pretty darned accurate--but not perfect--It takes coordinates every few seconds, these could be off just slightly, and could result in variances in distance--If you take a 90degree turn, it will likely cut the corner..and if you do an out and back, it may shorten the calculated idstance, if it didnt take a reading right at the point of your turnaround. And if the readings arent perfect--it will overstate your distance. Look at a map of your run sometime up close--occassionally you may see a point, well off the trail. I dont notice it as much with my 305 as I did with the older versions.
              voodooevil

I still can't decide!!!!!!!!! With the 305, if you do not have a sat. signal, does the foot pod take over automatically??? If the garmin was not a choice, what other watch should i look at. TI was loking at the t6c. Thanks... Joe
                  You have to buy the footpod separately. Too much $ for my blood.
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

Voodoo, I've had a problem getting a signal only two times in 15 months. It's been quite awhile since that happened, actually.
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I know it is a bit optimistic about distance, but I don't care. Occasionally I go to group runs where we have timers (and we all start together at the same time, and sometimes there are even awards for the fast people), and then I just go with their time & distance.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

With the 305, if you do not have a sat. signal, does the foot pod take over automatically??? .TI was loking at the t6c
                          I didn't have problems with the sat. signal. And as far as i know both suunto as garmin use the latest type of chipset for satelite nav.
                          I still can't decide!!!!!!!!! If the garmin was not a choice, what other watch should i look at.
                          In that case i would make a list of requirements which categorize in must have, nice to have and won't have. Look at the product pages of garmin suunto and ie. globalsat and try to figure out what fullfil your needs. Every brand has its users who loved the machine and those who experienced problems. And about garmin: i like my FR305. It does what it should do and was much cheaper than the 405 or the suunto. So if i have to make the choice again i certainly would take the FR305. success
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.