2013 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 601 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

Is the only reason you're thinking about moving back is that you're afraid of starting too fast?  Is so, just don't start too fast.  Smile  

This -----^

Moving back will not keep you from starting out too fast.  People in the back corals will start out too fast too.  Keep yourself in the coral you earned, and start off smartly.  Only move back if you want to run with someone who's back there.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

meaghansketch

Is the only reason you're thinking about moving back is that you're afraid of starting too fast?  Is so, just don't start too fast.  Smile  Do some mental training between now and then - remind yourself that you'll pay later for starting too fast.  Run your race; not the race of those around you.

Well, that and the fact that I have teammates in the corrals immediately behind me -- I could have some company in the wait to the start if I started back a corral or two with one of them.  I moved back a couple corrals the first time I did it (2010) to run with a pace group and even though I ended up not running with them (they were doing a run/walk strategy) I didn't feel like moving back was a mistake in any way.

lagwagon

Well, that and the fact that I have teammates in the corrals immediately behind me -- I could have some company in the wait to the start if I started back a corral or two with one of them.  I moved back a couple corrals the first time I did it (2010) to run with a pace group and even though I ended up not running with them (they were doing a run/walk strategy) I didn't feel like moving back was a mistake in any way.

I'm in the "why not" camp....if it'll keep you relaxed and you dont think it'll have a big impact on your time (or you dont care too much) just do it!

lesliel

spam
          Julia1971

In that case, I guess I agree with Lagwagon.  If you don't think it'll slow you down (and won't be mad if it does) and the company would make the race more enjoyable, why not?

Ronnieman

I'm a runner from the Netherlands and attending hopefully this year at the NY marathon afther last years cancellation. I was there since wednesday with my family when the announcement from Mr. Bloomberg came on that friday. I have received my registration form today by mail, this year i'm in the green wave #2! . I saw on the start map that the green village is on the other side of the Verrazano Bridge. I presume you will not see any of the things going on at the stage area. Does anyone know if you are able to walk freely to the stage area before the corrals open? The 3 1/2 hours waiting time seem to me to be ages at that time. Can you bring some food and drinks into the village as well?

ultramarathon/triathlete

You are free to hang out in any color village you like.  Shortly before you need to be in your coral, they make announcements over the many many speakers to tell you to head to your designated area.  These announcements seem to be in at least a dozen languages as well.  You'll have plenty of time to linger where you like, see the stage, visit a friend in another area, whatever you like, and still get to your staging area on time.

You can bring food and drinks if you like.  There are also free bagels and powerbars, coffee, tee and water.  Possibly other free snacks.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

seanster

ME

Green wave 1, corral 6

Smile

§ SIGNATURE§

Ronnieman

You are free to hang out in any color village you like.  Shortly before you need to be in your coral, they make announcements over the many many speakers to tell you to head to your designated area.  These announcements seem to be in at least a dozen languages as well.  You'll have plenty of time to linger where you like, see the stage, visit a friend in another area, whatever you like, and still get to your staging area on time.

You can bring food and drinks if you like.  There are also free bagels and powerbars, coffee, tee and water.  Possibly other free snacks.

Thanks for your quick reply, this helps a lot!

Docket_Rocket

They were cold and hard in 2010.  Like a rock.  The gatorade and power bars were good.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

They were cold and hard in 2010.  Like a rock.  The gatorade and power bars were good.

I'm bringing my own food. Not taking any chances by eating something different on race day even if it's free.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'm bringing my own food. Not taking any chances by eating something different on race day even if it's free.

That's wise :-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

Julia1971

Two weeks!  Ack!  I can hardly believe it...  It was a relatively easy week for me.  I worked hard in the beginning of the week and then did 3 easy days in advance of my last tune-up race.  The race report is here.  Shorter version is that I had a pretty good result - not as good as I'd hoped - but considering how poorly my last race went, it was a raging success.  I think I'm in pretty good shape for a sub-3:20 attempt.

On the food question, I'm going to bring my own.  My stomach is so finicky I'm even worried about eating out for dinner the night before.

And on the keeping occupied question, if NYCM is anything like Boston, I think there will be too much activity and excitement for me to concentrate on much of anything.  So, I'll probably just bring a crossword puzzle book and listen to some This American Life podcasts.  And, knowing me, I may also end up talking to random strangers until I need to put my game face on.  Smile

lagwagon

Nice run Julia, I think you're looking good for a 3:20, especially if its a day like we had this weekend (50 and sunny w/ no wind!).

I had a good race Saturday...10k in 38:13, finished 3rd OA.  Had a little trouble with my hamstring again, cost me a little time, and then skipped my scheduled long run today and just did 5 miles easy.  Taking off tomorrow.  Hopefully I recover quickly, and I'll err on the side of over tapering to ensure I heal as much as possible.  Right now, not concerned and think it'll be okay race day.

Yeah, I'm really not looking forward to chillin on staten island.  Probably get dropped off at 6:30, and then have to kill 3 hours.  Not planning to bring much of anything, maybe an old magazine and a trashbag.   I'll just be itchin to start.  Frankly, I already am.

Julia1971

Nice run Julia, I think you're looking good for a 3:20, especially if its a day like we had this weekend (50 and sunny w/ no wind!).

I had a good race Saturday...10k in 38:13, finished 3rd OA.  Had a little trouble with my hamstring again, cost me a little time, and then skipped my scheduled long run today and just did 5 miles easy.  Taking off tomorrow.  Hopefully I recover quickly, and I'll err on the side of over tapering to ensure I heal as much as possible.  Right now, not concerned and think it'll be okay race day.

Yeah, I'm really not looking forward to chillin on staten island.  Probably get dropped off at 6:30, and then have to kill 3 hours.  Not planning to bring much of anything, maybe an old magazine and a trashbag.   I'll just be itchin to start.  Frankly, I already am.

Thanks!  And, congrats on the speedy 10K time and placing OA.  That's awesome!  Hope the hamstring feels better soon.

I finished my last long run this morning.  The hay is in the barn!  I've got one more interval workout on the schedule but otherwise, it's all easy stuff.  Yay!  I'm so happy I could  Cry.