2012 Goal of Sub 4:00 Marathon (Read 4210 times)

Turbolegs

T-2 hours and counting. Slightly less nervous than last night. I'll let you know as soon as I can.

Thanks for all the encouragement in this thread. Now all I have to do is run it Wink

Was your race as awesome as i thought it would be for you? Smile Cant wait to hear how it went for you.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Hey Mark .. i personally strongly second the notion of not having the sub-4 dagger hang above your head on race day .. just pick it off in chunks and you will get home. It worked for me (and i wasnt even going for sub-4 in the race that i did). Before my Tokyo marathon earlier this feb, my last marathon had been gold coast in July 2011. At that race, i ran with the 4hr pace group until 25kms before i came undone so my goal at the start of the tokyo marathon this year was to hold a 4hr pace for a lil longer, so i made that an arbitrary target of 30kms. And at 30kms, i thought i could do one more km at the same pace etc .. and did that 12 times. Smile

Be relaxed and its better to overkill your taper than to get to the start line with less than fresh legs.

I am super excited for the May 6th weekend .. this is going to be legen .... < wait for it > ........

Well, unfortunately, I think my sub 4 goal is in jeopardy.  The forecast tomorrow is for 61 for a low, and 70 by noon, with sunny conditions.  My body doesn't do well in the heat, so I'll likely have to slow down.  Besides, with this chronic lung disease it's probably not smart to push the envelope too far.  We'll see what happens.

Mark

Turbolegs

Well, unfortunately, I think my sub 4 goal is in jeopardy.  The forecast tomorrow is for 61 for a low, and 70 by noon, with sunny conditions.  My body doesn't do well in the heat, so I'll likely have to slow down.  Besides, with this chronic lung disease it's probably not smart to push the envelope too far.  We'll see what happens.

Mark

Mark .. dont worry about the conditions of the race or the sub-4 target itself .. let the race come to you ... just go out to have a good time. Start conservatively and if you feel good in the second half, push it to take it home. Hope you have loads of fun !!

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've been worried about heat & humidity at my marathon tomorrow, but fortunately the weather service has backed off on that and instead are saying thunderstorms are likely.  Shocked Oh boy...

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Thunderbolts and lightening, very very frightening. Still, better than muggy.  At least it feels like you're accomplishing something movie-worthy.

best of luck!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

60deg and 90% humidity at the start - 65deg and 60% humidity at the end. 

Still managed sub-3:37(unofficially) Totally at a loss for words, more to follow Big grin

Thanks again everyone and may you 5/6 marathoners have a great day.

fake it till you make it

60deg and 90% humidity at the start - 65deg and 60% humidity at the end. 

Still managed sub-3:37(unofficially) Totally at a loss for words, more to follow Big grin

Thanks again everyone and may you 5/6 marathoners have a great day.

SWEET!  Congrats on a fantastic race.  Looking forward to hearing the details after you have a chance to revel in the moment.

Good luck to tomorrows marathoners!

4:01:58 but completely happy, going to rest my legs.  I will give some more details at a later date.

goat runner

Ran the 2nd annual Kalamazoo marathon today.  It was a really well done and I ran a 3:35:20.  I was on pace for sub 3:30 until IT bands flared up around mile 18.  Nonetheless, I'm happy with the effort.

Slice

I ran the Flying Pig today in 3:44! Hilly, humid, warm & fan-flippin-tastic! Started out with 3:50 pace group, left them, ran too fast, died around 22, & still killed my goal. Woot!

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Whoa you guys, great sub-4 and near-4 efforts!  I am impressed!

Mine was a somewhat slower 4:17:01.  I'm happy enough about it, though, and sat down and wrote a race report while it was fresh in my mind, unlike last year, when it didn't get written at all.

Here it is, if you're interested in a pretty long read.

Christirei

Wow Guys!! What an awesome marathon weekend! Congratulations to all!!!

LedLincoln...I loved your race report! brought back lots of memories of running the half in Lincoln last year Smile  And I have to agree, I loved the half (although it was super crowded, so it's nice that they fixed that this time) and felt horrible for the marathon runners, it was like they were on their own at the halfway point. Congrats on the good effort and thanks for the great report!

I think I am going to throw my hat in for another attempt at my 3:45 goal....started looking around for a marathon in late November/early December. I'll let you guys know when I find one and commit!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Wow Guys!! What an awesome marathon weekend! Congratulations to all!!!

+1

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I did it -- 3:57:20! Also came in first in my age group! Was worried about potential for high temps and bright sun on the New Jersey shore, but temps stayed in the 50's and sky was overcast until the last 5 miles when the sun came out. Slowed down the last 5 miles, but since I was expecting that the weather would be hotter at this point, I ran the first half at a relatively strong pace --- not pushing hard, but not holding a lot back. I know it's not the best strategy, but I've never been a negative split person and the difference between my pace for the first half and the last leg was not terrible.

For those of you thinking of a spring marathon for next year, the New Jersey marathon could be a good choice. Completely flat course, much of it along the ocean (boardwalk) and lakes, the rest through residential areas. Good crowds along the boardwalk, especially Asbury Park. Kind of low key but well organized.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

WTG Jersey!!  First in AG, too!!