How steep is this? (Read 251 times)

You should absolutely do it, like I said it will be PR, just not a easy PR, there is a price to pay for that. I got a close to 2 min faster time running that downhill race than when I raced a Half in much better shape (I probably shouldn't count it as a PR though).

In this race your legs will be the limiting factor not your aerobic capacity. It's funny how I needed to walk every slight bump (like you have at about mile 3) and the flat at the end.

Prince of Fatness

Well, unlike Steamtown it looks like a pretty constant slope so that is a good thing (vs frequent quad-crushing drops off cliffs).  So yeah, go ahead and run it.  Just be careful.  Downhills look great for PRs and they really are...moreso the slower you're running.

I remember you complaining about Steamtown.  I ran it once and was OK during the race but walked down stairs backwards for a few days after because it was too painful on the quads to walk down normal.  I also have hills to train on.

I agree it depends on the severity of the slopes.  With Steamtown you lose most of the elevation in the early miles, with a big drop around mile 4 (I remember not being able to help but run fast down that hill).  If the OP's race is just a constant decline and not severe slopes it may not be as bad.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I remember you complaining about Steamtown.  I ran it once and was OK during the race but walked down stairs backwards for a few days after because it was too painful on the quads to walk down normal.  I also have hills to train on.

I agree it depends on the severity of the slopes.  With Steamtown you lose most of the elevation in the early miles, with a big drop around mile 4 (I remember not being able to help but run fast down that hill).  If the OP's race is just a constant decline and not severe slopes it may not be as bad.

Yeah, the constant slope of that one will make it a LOT easier than Steamtown (which is a great and well-run race which I recommend, despite my experience with the hills).  I talked to a 2:17 guy in the hotel and he'd dropped out past halfway and appeared barely able to move under his own power.

I'd hoped to run a marathon with similar elevation drop specifically set up to make it like the OP's graph...nearly continuous...but it was a new race and couldn't execute on the permits.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Spaniel, you should run this - Peak to Creek formerly known as Ridge to Bridge.  Uses the same downhill I mentioned earlier for the Scream HM. Well organized and quiet race in the hills. But every single person I've talked to hated what it did to their legs, and that the last 10 miles were agonizing, but they do get big PRs.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Spaniel, you should run this - Peak to Creek formerly known as Ridge to Bridge.

I've also heard very positive reviews (and odd weather) from people who have done the P2C.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

ultramarathon/triathlete

It'll definitely kill your quads, but there do not seem to be hills in the later section (as is the case with Boston) so if I'm reading it right, looks like it's mostly downhill to the finish and not super long.  I say take the first 2 miles a bit on the easy side, gradually get faster and then just rocket through the end.  Worry about the blown up quads the next day when you're still around.

I'd definitely do some downhill-specific training and read up on people's thoughts on form and posture when barreling down a hill.

And be sure to take an ice bath afterwards.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

#artbydmcbride

Or you could train like this on a treadmill

Runners run

I've done the St. George Marathon the past 3 years.  The profile of this race is somewhat similar, particularly the last half of St. George.   http://www.runningahead.com/logs/d92b042188da47d99e5b9ae6632b8a23/workouts/89479e4496f241c4acb54bed12220479/map

This is a race that I specifically train for each year (4-5 training runs of 10-16 miles with about 200-300 foot drop per mile).  Even with the specific training, I find that because I am racing it completely trashes my quads.  But that's a good thing, right?  Here is an example of my local training run...

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/d92b042188da47d99e5b9ae6632b8a23/workouts/b9648e43478f47a883346e39deefc00c/map

I love running downhill though, so thanks for pointing this race out.  Might have to do it one day.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

You should absolutely do it, like I said it will be PR, just not a easy PR

Is there such thing??

Ready, go.

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, you should run this - Peak to Creek formerly known as Ridge to Bridge.  Uses the same downhill I mentioned earlier for the Scream HM. Well organized and quiet race in the hills. But every single person I've talked to hated what it did to their legs, and that the last 10 miles were agonizing, but they do get big PRs.

Since I am no longer chasing an Olympic Trials qualifier, I find I am less willing to utterly destroy myself.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

That's not really running.  Or it's running slower by only decreasing stride frequency and not stride length to maintain the same biomechanics.  I'm not sure which, I'm sure the indecision will dog me all day.

Or you could train like this on a treadmill

NHLA

I have three runs that drop very similar to that course.  I find that  the last mile is tough no mater how many times I run it but you are close to the bottom.

Hoban-Jay

Looks like you're in for a PR !!!

Yosemite in the fall can't be beat...well, okay, it can. but it's still pretty spectacular.