I'd believe it - Dachshunds deemed most aggressive breed (Read 1169 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

news story The only dog that has ever come close to biting me while running is a neighbor's annoying little weiner-dog. They have 2. One is very docile and sweet, but the other is a holy terror. I think he actually did try to sink his teeth into my leg, but his mouth is small and I had compression tights on, so maybe he couldn't get a grip on my larger-than-average calves.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I have a ton of pit bulls around here, and 1 lunges at me while running at least once per week Angry. But the funniest was an early morning run where a tiny white chihuahua attacked my legs. I can only imagine what I looked like as I danced around trying to avoid the little ankle biter. I told the owner to get it away, or I would stomp it (I really wouldn't), but I was irritated and then informed the owner about a great new invention called a leash. I am not surprised that they are rated #2 in the article. I currently live with a jack russell (#3) mix, and she is a total sweetheart. Smile
      - Tony
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have seen some very aggressive chihuahuas, but someone in our neighborhood has one that I feel so sorry for. They tie the little guy out every day and he just lays in the grass and barely even looks at anyone. He seems almost disconnected from the world. I think I'd actually feel better if he did at least react when I go by, as long as he's tied. He appears to be so neglected. Jack Russells are funny. Friends of ours have one and she is the MOST insane dog, ever. Make the mistake of throwing a tennis ball and you can expect to be playing throw/fetch for at least an hour, no joke. I have never seen a dog with so much endurance AND speed. Too bad they don't live closer, or I'd borrow her for runs. I'm sure she could outlast me. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Oh zoomy I'm glad the lil whipper snapper didn't get you. I'm a new owner of a doggie daycare and have already seen enough daschunds to believe this study. Not to generalize, as there are no bad dogs, just bad owners... but the males seem to be snuggly honey buns and the females are tennis ball crazy, incredibly anxious and energetic nutters. In general, I'm on my guard more (as to being bitten) with our small breed guests than the "bigs."
          ~ Fly ~
          Only as much as I dream can I be.
          veggies on the run

A Saucy Wench

Wow... my dachshund was a total guppy. He THOUGHT he was a big ferocious dog, but he was all bark (and not a yappy bark at all) and no bite. He was a full size dachshund, not a miniature. He did get him self killed trying to take on a bigger dog. I think it was the doberman down the street that was always let to run free and would come after anything. MTA: I believe that the small dogs bite more often, however I havent heard of kids being MAULED by small dogs. Our friend has a boston terrier and that fucker bites me every single time I am there, but he cant open his mouth that wide so it is just a scrape on my calf. I do try to remember to wear jeans if I have to go in.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

this topic came up elsewhere and someone posted this: Harm to Child Adult Deaths Maimings Pit bull terrier 1110 495 397 104 608 Rottweiler 409 231 109 58 223 Labrador 26 18 9 2 20 German shepherd 63 42 17 7 38 German shepherd mix 31 21 7 6 19 Akita 48 32 14 1 39 Bulldog (English) 16 8 3 1 9 Bull mastiff (Presa Canario) 30 10 13 6 16 Pit bulls harmed 1110 children, harmed 495 adults, killed 397 people and maimed 608 people! http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html My dad had a couple of dachshunds and they were very protective/ferocious with their barking and growling but they never actually bit.

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

MTA: I believe that the small dogs bite more often, however I havent heard of kids being MAULED by small dogs. Our friend has a boston terrier and that fucker bites me every single time I am there, but he cant open his mouth that wide so it is just a scrape on my calf.
                Yep, I think that bite statistic is true. While the little dogs may be more aggressive, when they do bite it's just a small wound. Bigger dogs can take off limbs and cause much more serious damage, even if their bites aren't as frequent. Larger, unfamiliar dogs still give me pause far more than smaller ones, because I know that even if a small one bites me, it's something I can walk away from (or more easily fight back). Luckily, dogs around here are generally well-controlled and/or well-behaved. Most loose dogs I have encountered just want to give me kisses, especially when I am salty. Smile I worry more that a dog will follow me and get lost or hit by a car. There was a sweet little boxer (I think a young female) on one of my routes that I have not seen in a very long time. She was always running loose (liked to run a ways with me and I always had to tell her to go home...she would, but gave me the whole puppy-dog eyes routine every time) and it's a quiet stretch of country road where cars tend to go 60mph. I have a feeling she met a bad end. Sad

~ Sarah Kay

Giants Fan

I tried a route one day and there were way too many dogs out and loose (in the country). The only ones who truly scared me were a pair of German Shepherds that came after me. I think dogs are always more aggressive when together. Thankfully the guy came out and yelled for them. Also, I only did the route one way and called for a ride, I've never been chased by so many dogs! I've never run that route again, I never will.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

an amazing likeness

One of my routes passes a barking weiner-dog, so I wrote a poem.... Weiner-dog, weiner-dog. Why do you bark? Weiner-dog, weiner-dog. Afraid of the dark? Weiner-dog, weiner-dog, I will eat you. With mustard too.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Andy, I think I will stick to my "mystery meat" hotdogs. Wink

~ Sarah Kay

xor

I have a mini dachshund. He's a hella good watchdog because he barks when people come close, but he's a total sweetie and would never bite anything. However, when I was young, I had another boy dachshund and he *did* bite a kid. Of course, the kid had just whacked him with a newspaper and was in his face. I wouldn't stereotype dachshunds as a breed as very aggressive; certainly not in a big way over other dogs/breeds. However, I learned from my vet that dachshunds do have the second highest bite pressure of the various breeds. So... I dunno about the whole "they are small, so they will just nip" thing. If they want to, they'll bite a chunk off. Or latch on and not let go. I've never seen one bite a person that severely though. Then again, I've not seen all dachshund bite attempts in the history of earth, so my opinion isn't that informed :-/. They are good at catching rats though. And the occasional squirrel and bird. And badger. They aren't known as "carpet sharks" for nothing...

Run the race God set B4U

I too am a dachshund owner, he is very protective also. I really don't think he would bite, but I know he would tear another dog up (or try to) if he got to them. He is also jealous if another dog comes up in our yard and he sees us petting it, he will foam at the mouth, he's a very silly dog. We raised him from a pup and he's a very good dog around the kids, but yes he drives everyone crazy "yelping" all the time!
                          5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
                          Go Daddy

Jack Russells are funny. Friends of ours have one and she is the MOST insane dog, ever. Make the mistake of throwing a tennis ball and you can expect to be playing throw/fetch for at least an hour, no joke. I have never seen a dog with so much endurance AND speed. Too bad they don't live closer, or I'd borrow her for runs. I'm sure she could outlast me. Tongue
                            Kristen, I know it is dangerous to cross threads, but... Having a Jack Russell to run with may be a help in warding off creepy peeps.
                              I have a mini dachshund. He's a hella good watchdog because he barks when people come close, but he's a total sweetie and would never bite anything. However, when I was young, I had another boy dachshund and he *did* bite a kid. Of course, the kid had just whacked him with a newspaper and was in his face. I wouldn't stereotype dachshunds as a breed as very aggressive; certainly not in a big way over other dogs/breeds. However, I learned from my vet that dachshunds do have the second highest bite pressure of the various breeds. So... I dunno about the whole "they are small, so they will just nip" thing. If they want to, they'll bite a chunk off. Or latch on and not let go. I've never seen one bite a person that severely though. Then again, I've not seen all dachshund bite attempts in the history of earth, so my opinion isn't that informed :-/. They are good at catching rats though. And the occasional squirrel and bird. And badger. They aren't known as "carpet sharks" for nothing...
                              Have you ever run with your mini dachshund? I really want to get one and am curious about whether they can handle even short, slow runs. Would really appreciate your advice!
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kristen, I know it is dangerous to cross threads, but... Having a Jack Russell to run with may be a help in warding off creepy peeps.
                                Hmmm...if only these damned cats would stop finding us. As much as I would love a dog, I don't think our 4 cats would be as enamored, unfortunately. Sad

~ Sarah Kay