My FIRST 10K (Read 601 times)

De-slacking in progress

Got off couch in April. Done a few 5K, setting new PR's each times and really enjoying the "racing" scene (at least the party and food at the end) Today was my year end goal of completeing a 10k race. Very Hilly course (you can check it out in my log if you want) My first goal was of course to finish... but real goal was under 59:59... but real secret goal was under 55:00 Due to injury I've had to really back off my mileage the last few weeks and it really showed up in the race today. I lost my endurance. I had to walk for 30 sec each 3 times during the race( lost my HTFU) But, you couldn't have asked for a more perfect race day..sunny, temps good, low humidity. I Finished in 56:53 which satisifies my goal but I really wanted that under 55 mins. Had a great time and got my first racing tech long sleeve shirt. Bought another shirt as my first 5K and 10K shirts will be framed as soon as my wife runs her first 5K race at the end of Sept. Had a great day and my year end goals have all been accomplished which brings a personal sense of pride and a sense of sticking to it that i didn't think i could do. Once i heal heal up, I'm going to work on building my mileage slowly back up- I just love the long,long slow run before church on Sundays and I miss that. Couch>>>Quit smoking after 29 years>>lost 45#>>>>5K >>10K>>.... HM??? Few pics: The Castle Final Sprint to the finish Hurray I Finished !

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

an amazing likeness

Sounds like you're just knockin' down all your goals. Must feel great...it should. Take time to enjoy and stop fretting over the 55:00min, you'll get that next time.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Dave

Great job, Slap. As Milk said, don't get too wrapped up in the times at this point. Heal up and build some steady miles and your pace will drop, even if you don't do any speedwork. 10 milers are a great race distance after a 10K. Nice bridge to a HM.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Half Fanatic #846

... stop fretting over the 55:00min, you'll get that next time.
          My guess is, when you're healthy and have trained a little more, you'll be a lot closer to 50:00!! Cool Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

xor

Hey you got 2 of your 3 goals, and you were very close to the third. And you did all that in your first race at that distance. Plus it looks like it ended on grass... for me, that might make it easier on the knees, but it would probably slow me down... You did GREAT. As you are considering a race of a longer distance, definitely try a few more 10ks. I bet you'll hit 55 quickly. What are those buildings? Looks a little like a college campus?

De-slacking in progress

What are those buildings? Looks a little like a college campus?
              It's Glamorgan Castle in Alliance, Ohio which is near the Mt. Union College area. This castle was built by the man who came to this area to build a steel mill and then they invented the FIRST overhead crane that are used in factory's worldwide now like in steel mills, shipyards. He got stinking filthy rich in a hurry- made a huge diffrance in time during building. My father in law worked for his company- Morgan Engineering / Steel. One of the larger employeers in the 40 miles area during time when steel was king in Ohio, before the rust belt started.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Go Pre!

That looks like a wicked setting for a race and a great day it was. Congrats on knocking down those goals. Welcome to the Machine Addiction! ~D
                CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Kudos on your first 10K. I hope I have as many positives to talk about when I try a 10K. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

redleaf

Yippie! Congrats on your race! (I like the idea of having "secret" goals!)

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362