Is this cheating? (Read 1201 times)

So I just recently started logging my runs and I find it really cool to know the exact weekly mileage (just started again this week after long time off). Anyways, so yesterday I ran my normal 5.5 mls in the morning, and then did a 3ml ruck walk in the afternoon. I had 20 lbs and did ~13 min/ml. (Thats fast walking for me with the weight!) Anyways, so I added it into my log, but since its not really running, I am wondering if I should count that for my weekly mileage. I'm going to try to do a ruck walk every evening until I get up to 40 lbs and finally able to run it. But should I bother counting it in my log? thanks
    JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

It's your log, so you can record what/how you want to. Smile Jilly Good luck with your rucking.
      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
      JimR

It's not cheating at all. I personally would want to keep my non-running workouts separately identified. I don't see a problem with using it towards total mileage.

Into the wild

My immediate reaction is to say "Hey, it's you log; you can log what you want how you want!" Evil grin You may not want this to be the case though if you wanted, for some strange reason, to compare your training or progress to others that log differently. Another reason to log them would be if you were training for an ultra where you will be obliged to use run/walk. Walking would then be part of your objective and something to train at. All the best and welcome to Running Ahead Smile

Shut up and run

Run the race God set B4U

I was wondering the same because I sometimes add a 4 mile walk mid week and I log it...but I add below in the notes that I actually walked. I think it's miles you got in some how...so just count them Wink
            5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)

#artbydmcbride

Someone mentioned you could make a custom run type and label it walking, then you can log those miles and still keep track of what kind.

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

If I added it I would do the custom run type called "Ruck walk" so you can see it separately. You could also just log it AS a walk but then it wouldnt be in your mileage but you can still track it. What you log depends on your goals and it is only for you...there is no "cheating" When I was pregnant I logged EVERY thing that was done with effort as running. By the end of the pregnancy a 22 minute mile walk was "running" (run type walk). Because that was my goal then...just keep MOVING. Now I log only running as running and power walking pushing the stroller as walking and dont log casual walking. But I still LOG the power walks because if I am trying to figure out why I might be more fatigued than expected it is good to see "oh..yeah..I did 12 miles of strollering this week Shocked" Since you intend to eventually run it...I would log it as its own type so you dont suddenly have this big jump in mileage. Also you probably will at some point be in limbo...maybe you'll run 1 mile of it to start, etc.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Go Pre!

PLEASE REMEMBER The whole idea of the log is to track what you do that pertains to your training so that, in future, you can look back and see what works for you and alter and adjust your training properly. Our logs are not a cpmpetition and there is no cheating possible. You log the data that you want to keep track of that's all. The main reason rthey are made public isd so others can help you improve or in my case, I look at fast runners' logs and analyze how they train and try to incorporate their workouts into my own. MTA:
                  Someone mentioned you could make a custom run type and label it walking, then you can log those miles and still keep track of what kind.
                  This is a good idea. You need to know your run types so you know what to analyse when the time comes.
                  mikeymike

Cheating at what? I thought the point was to become a faster runner, not to build the biggest running log. Log whatever you think is related to your goals.

Runners run

Cheating at what? I thought the point was to become a faster runner, not to build the biggest running log. Log whatever you think is related to your goals.
                      Yeah. For myself, I include walking as a separate workout type (along with easy, easy on trails, fartlek, race, hills etc etc.) Another option would be to have it as a seperate category (such as biking or swimming) - in my case, I have a seperate workout type for yard work so that I can compare the total workload for a week. I'm not very good at recording my time in the yard though unless I'm shoveling snow or mowing the lawn or something for hours on end.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I have a "hiking" category in my log for just such stuff. I've got my own log where I have "locomotion mode" (run, bike, ski, hike, xt, trail work, etc) and a "workout" (easy, sub-LT, big hill, rolling hills, etc). I can query on total volume as well as running-only volume. But I tend to include the hiking with the running since it's training for an ultra. I can split out progress toward running goals vs total load on my body, which is important to sometimes figure out where an unexplained ache came from. Both are important.
                        "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                        kcam

I have a 'hiking' category as well. OP - take a look at what others are doing in their logs, it'll help you decide how you want to categorize your training and other physical activities.
                          JakeKnight

I'm going to try to do a ruck walk every evening until I get up to 40 lbs and finally able to run it. But should I bother counting it in my log?
                            Good question. I've been wondering the same thing. I'm going to start doing some ruck marches ... and I'm still pondering the log question. Yeah, yeah, its my log, whatever - but I do care about being fair by my own standards. Here's the thing: ruck marches aren't "walks" or "hikes." Those who never served in the military probably don't appreciate what a ruck march can be like. There is no question that, for me, a 4:00 marathon is infinitely easier than a 10-mile ruck march with 50+ pounds and a helmet and a rifle. I still remember some of those long ago marches with abject horror. It's hard, hard work. Brutal sometimes. So its hard. For me at least, a lot harder than running the same distance. And its on my feet. And hell, I have logged a few runs that I've done with my better half at a pace just as slow as a ruck march. But it ain't running. It's walking. So I still don't know what I'm gonna do. Let us know what you decide. I may just compromise and count it as cross-training, like weight lifting. But not the mileage. I dunno.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

jules2

You can't cheat yourself, I'm with Daddyo as to why I keep a log. It all depends on the individual some people appear to run to log distance, others to keep fit and others to compete. I'm in the latter class so it does not really matter what my log shows as I'm not trying to impress anyone just keep an honest record for my own purposes. What I'm interested in is race times and trying to see how little I need to train for the best result. I must admit that I see some of the mileages people show and can't for the life of me see how they can possibly race so slowly, as clealry ( assuming the logs are correct ) they have the commitment and fitness.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Thanks for the replies guys. Jake, thats zactly right, I know I'm not going to really cheat on my own log, I just want to be "fair by my own standards." I decided I'm going to count it as another workout, and I guess when I start "running" it, although its more of a shuffle lol, I'll count it towards my weekly mileage. I'm glad someone can appreciate how much fun a ruck can be, my calves still hurt from last night! ha ha. Roll eyes But ya, its still walking as of now, so it cant count I suppose.