Columbus -- My Dark Journey (Read 939 times)

Preamble:

Returning to Columbus for my 2nd Marathon, actually this was 3rd attempt as DNF @ Columbus in 2008 after tearing cartilidge in knee around mile 6 and knee locking up around mile 11.  That was the conclusion to a hard headed plan trying to run marathon with little training (in retrospect) and knowing the knee was injured in the last two LRs coming into the race. 

2009 was to be My Redemption in Columbus. 

I had successfully completed my first marathon in May 2009 in cleveland in a respectful 4:10:08, which still looking back on little training.  I had high hopes for Columbus 09 as had trained twice as much then the spring as well as smashed all PRs from 5k through half over the past 5 months.

The Goal was 3:45

Race Week:

Normally have the family with me at the big out of town races, but the past week my youngest son came down with strep throat and then when over that came down with a bad cough ,my older son came down with a respitory infection.  Being a parent its kind of hard not to be around your sick kids and was just praying for the best.  Started to feel something coming on and tried to stay in isolation friday night and rest.

With kids sick and weather supposed to be cold, we decided best for family to stay home.  So I head down to Columbus by myself Saturday afternoon.  Hit the Expo (which is not good by the way ... no freebees and terrible tishirts), run into some of my friends from running club.

Plans were to meet some RAers for dinner (Holly S; Breger1, etc) from masters group as we were all running and shooting for 3:45, which for them were BQ attempts.  Checking into the hotel at 4:00PM, I was pretty whooped so sent message that would have to miss dinner as just wanted to rest and did not want to get anyone sick.

Hungout at hotel and good pretty goods night "rest", No deep sleep but was sleeping off/on from 9:00AM to 5:30AM. 

Race Day:

Wanted to still meet up with the RA gang at Breger1s hotel @ 6:45AM, so headed out at 6:30AM and stopped at the start (I was only like 1/2 block from start area) to drop my gear bag after last year knew would be a zoo at the gear drop...My bag was the 2nd on the truck.  Walked the Block over to Hyatt and got there about 6:35 and never was able to find the RAers and with the crowds getting more packed in hotel it just got harder to move through people.  Hung out at the Hyatt until 7:15 and then hit bathroom 1 last time and headed back to start.

Was about 7:22, which is plenty of time but you know you tend to panic a bit.  Hit the start area from the front and could not find easy way into the corral, finally spotted an opening around the 3:30 group.  Plan was to start behind the 3:40 group but it was packed liked sardines, so started out a little in front as had a little space were i was.

Few minutes chatting with runners and about race time.  Garmin is working well.  Expecting a Speach and/or National Anthem or at least Runners get ready .... Nothing ... just the gun.  But you know being back a bit you have more than enough time to shuffle forward before your actual start.

Race Details:

Distance Time Total Time Pace Notes
    1 Mi 8:30.14 8:30.14 8:31 Mi 1 - Good start -- little below 8:35 plan. Had good amount of space.
    1 Mi 8:32.11 17:02.25 8:33 Mi 2 - Feeling Good and starting to Warmup. Planned to Skip 1st WS as only lime 1.4 mi in.
    1 Mi 8:24.55 25:26.80 8:25 Mi 3 - Downhill a bit so go with the flow. Dump Throw away hat @ 2.5 miles.
    1 Mi 8:34.49 34:01.29 8:35 Mi 4 - Right on Goal pace and feeling good. Field gets a little crowded after 3 mile straight away on 4 - 6 lane road and turn on to side road.
    1 Mi 8:24.38 42:25.67 8:25 Mi 5 - Pace is dropping down to 8:25 without any effort. Breathing is good. Temps are good as comfortable with a little sweat. Still have frost on gloves so keeping them.
    1 Mi 8:23.64 50:49.31 8:24 Mi 6 - This is were in 08 my knee Popped going around the corner after going through capital university. Cross 10k @ 53:08 -- 8:34 pace right were I want to be. Everything is feeling awesome.
    1 Mi 8:35.22 59:24.53 8:36 Mi 7 - Take first Gu and replace with a cliff shot that they were handing out. I wore a pair of shorts with only room for 2 GUS and took one pre race. i grabbed 2 clif shots but they are bigger and both won't fit so have to throw one away, I am like 3 lanes away from garabage can after station and throw a skyhook running at full speed and nailed the shot from like 40 feet away. Guy behind me was like "Dude did that go in" yep ... "Will be on Sports Center Top Plays". I figuered it was my day ??
    1 Mi 8:33.8 1:07:58.33 8:34 Mi 8 - Warming up a bit now so decide to ditch my homemade arm warmers, which by the way a pair of orthopedic / circulation socks work great with feet cut out. Pull off 1 and can feel the cool air decide to keep the other to even out temp steadily. Probably silly but gives you something else to think about for .5 mi, then dump the second. Everything is still feeling nearly effortless. Just flowing along with the crowd with barely any audible breathing.
    1 Mi 8:33.29 1:16:31.62 8:34 Mi 9 - Heading back through downtown and some bigger crowds. More of the same just nailing the miles without any need for adjustments ...barely looking at Garmin (check like 1 - 2 times a mile)
    1 Mi 8:29.9 1:25:01.52 8:30 Mi 10 - Some were around here start to feel Right hamstring begin to tighten. At this point nothing big, but you feel it start to alter stride. Stride starts to seem a little hitchy.
    1 Mi 8:39.17 1:33:40.69 8:40 mi 11 - Try to back it down a bit and relax hoping just a small cramp and will work itself out. At this point about the same but not a real iisue at this point. Heading up High Street is a 4 mile straight away through downtown on way to Ohio State.
    1 Mi 8:51.4 1:42:32.09 8:52 Mi 12 - Hamstring still getting tighter and feel like losing "power", kind of like low preasure on tires ... same RPMs but less MPH. Take 2nd GU (Cliffshot).
    1 Mi 8:31.52 1:51:03.61 8:32 Mile 13 - With halfers making homestretch and making the turn to the finish. Full Marathoners keep heading straight. Added crowds and speeded up halfers must got me back on pace.  Half Split 1:53:08  (8:38 pace) -- about 30 seconds off plan.
    1 Mi 8:50.91 1:59:54.52 8:51 Mile 14 - Heading back out of town to North loop and crowds begin to thin. A little uphill and Hamstring is really tight now and feel a few "pops" a lower hammy. Hoping these are cramps working out. At this point effort to maintain speed is increasing and know 8:35 pace will be getting me in further trouble decide to back down to 8:45.
    1 Mi 8:49.42 2:08:43.94 8:50 Mile 15 - Few more "pops" and no its going to be a long day. Come on have to hang on for 3:50!
    1 Mi 8:59.83 2:17:43.77 9:00 Mile 16 - Trying the "Push the Pain to the Side" mantra ... F#%$ That does not work. OK I know my Hamstring is not going to get any better and at this point figure lets hang onto 9:00 pace thats 4:00 pace and I had a 7 minute cushion at the half, come on thats like a 14 min positive split to get 4:00. We can do it.
    1 Mi 9:05.45 2:26:49.22 9:06 Mi 17 - Head through OSU campus and must say was a bit pissed. Marathon hypes as running by "fraternity/sorierty" row and had pictured something like the college kids at Boston. Like 12 kids are actually up at this hr, which I guess was what 9:30 - 10:00AM. Then by The horseshoe and nothing, besides someones smart idea to put a u-turn in middle of parking lot (you should never have to do a u-turn in 26.2 mile race). Would it hurt the F'ing "Best Damn Band" in the land to come out and play the OSU fight song or the stupid "Hang on Sloopy" song or god forbid a few players showed up... I guess they were worn out from their trip to take on the mighty Boiler Makers. OSU should be embarrassed in its failure in a showcase moment when 5000 people strolling through your campus.
    1 Mi 9:06.94 2:35:56.16 9:07 Mile 18 - still trucking
    1 Mi 9:46.42 2:45:42.58 9:47 Mile 19 -- uphill a bit and Hamstring is really done and into the shuffle mode as have hard time making a normal stride. 3:50 group flies by looking strong a "Try" for like 100 yds to hang a bit but aint happening.
    1 Mi 9:58.38 2:55:40.96 9:59 Mile 20 -- Here two guys behind me ... "Joe remember last year when your hamgstring just seezed up and you could just see the muscle all squeezed ... It looked just like that guy in front of us", then as the passed me "Dude you hamstring looks pretty bad". was like "yeah I have felt a little something for the past 10 miles". At this point doing some fuzszy math figured i can not afford to drop below 10:00 pace last 10k ("who can't run a 1:02 10K ..come on wuss!")
    1 Mi 9:50.71 3:05:31.67 9:51 Mile 21 - Trying to hang onto sub 4:00 I gut out some 9:45 - 9:50 miles. Cant remember a lot besides just slowly trudging forward.
    1 Mi 9:42.15 3:15:13.82 9:43 Mile 22 - same
    1 Mi 9:53.78 3:25:07.60 9:54 Mile 23 - same
    1 Mi 10:21.59 3:35:29.19 10:22 Mile 24 - "pushing" the last 3 miles has taken its toll and now can't even stop at Waterstations because the demons are calling "lets just walk ... we can still PR", But after blowing 3:45 and at this point uncertain of 4:00 I was not going to walk, as that was a major goal of my 2nd after walking a good part of mile 23 in the 1st.
    1 Mi 10:42.25 3:46:11.44 10:43 Mile 25 - Uphill into the Wind was tough. I am actually passing some folks who were shuffling slower than me. Make turn out of wind and a little flatter and they had arches of balloons accross the road, but 4 hrs latter and 30 degree temps caused helium to go down so these things are blowing up and down bopping people in the heads as they come by. At first was "come on" all this now I have to get smack with balloon arches. Guy next to me "Did not know it was an obstacle course" , only smile i had in the past 16 miles so I guess it was worth it.
    1 Mi 10:16.15 3:56:27.59 10:17 Mile 26 - 4:00 group (use that term loosely as pacer only had like 2 guys with him) passes me just after mile 25. Try to keep them close as maybe still a shot at 4:00, problem is even if i catch them I know they started behind me but not sue how many minutes. F%$# It! Giving it what i got fore remainder of race. Start pumping arms hard as try to get upper body to drive the train.
    0.49 Mi 4:45 4:01:11.02 9:40 I was like 1 minute off clock so needed to get under 4:01 clock time most likely. Turn the corner to home, which thankfully is downhill and about 1/4 mi around nationwide arena. First glimpse of clock when about .15 out could only make out th "4:" and "23" of seconds (I guess easier to see seconds because moving??" So hoping it was 4:00:23 start to kick with whatever I had, which was not much .... Then got closer and saw the "01" and knew would end up over 4:00 and pulled up a bit. At this point almost raised my hands as was at least proud I HTFU as much as I could for 16 miles.

Post Race:

Crossing the finish in a bit of a daze,grab a blanket which I have nevre used before ,get my medal , get corralled a bit forward ... were the hell is the water?  Ohh they have a hat station OK and a fairly nice running hat (if you have a really small head).  Were the hell is the water?  Finally the Herd channels down an alley ... finally water.

From miles 10 - 14 I was actually starving (before my Hamstring took my mind off my tummy), after water proceeded down the alley of food and felt like a biggest loser contestent on a temptation were they have to eat as much as they can within 2 minutes.  Gatoraid , bagels (hard as rock and cold) but start cookie mostering these as were heard forward, donuts (hmmm), milk, chips, cant remember after that as I was like i just ate like 1000 calories in 2 minutes ... hmmm.

Overall finished  4:01:11 :  1961 / 4076  overall and 237 / 387

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Queen of 3rd Place

Nice report and way to tough it out - if others runners could SEE that your hammie was cramped up, it must have been pretty bad - anyway, almost a 9 min PR sounds like a pretty good day in the end.

Ex runner

evanflein

Tough run, Buckeye, but you still got a real strong PR out of it. I agree with your thoughts at mile 17. The campus missed a real good publicity opportunity there. Maybe a good sports massage in a couple days will help that hamstring relax a bit. Sub 4 next time, and hope the family is healthy again.

Prince of Fatness

Your season has been very similar to mine.  Set a few PR's while marathon training, PR the marathon but fall short of the goal.  What I am choosing to do is look at the total body of work.  When I look at it that way it's been a fine year.  I hope that is the way you look at it, too.  Don't let one day of misfortune cloud your vision.

Congrats on the PR.

Not at it at all. 

I feel for ya, buddy--that darn hamstring!!

But look at it this way, even with the hamstring issues, you pulled out a 9 minute PR. Most people have to be completely healthy to be able to manage that. You'll get that 3:45 (and then some) soon!! 

You've had a great training and racing year, which will only help you as you look ahead to the future.

Post Asthma Era PRs: 5K--18:39 (Mar 2016), 10K--39:40 (Feb 2018), HM--1:28:04 (Jan 2017), MAR--2:59:12 (November 2017)

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Dude,  you did great. A 9 min PR with a cramped up hammie. Come on, dark journey my a$$.

Hope you are recovering well, take care of the hamstring.

Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                great job Robert! i was tracking you and thought'd you'd be on pace up until the half when I saw you were off pace by about 30 seconds. But overall, still, a nice PR and way to tough it out!

Lazy idiot

How did I not know you were coming down?

Sorry to hear your race didn't go as planned, but nice PR nonetheless.

Tick tock

Thanks guys .... Actually thinking things over the last 24 hrs and actually writing this has helped my outlook.  Trying to look at the whole picture and progress of 2009.

Its just that outstanding goal of sub 4:00 ... Have gone from not ever wanting to run a marathon again to this morining after seeing Trents msg on Indy marathon ... "Heck I could run that in three weeks"  but won't jump into anything to hasty and may still stick with the short distance races , well I guess half marathons are not that short, but seem to fit me better.

Driving back from Marathon actually ran into one of my running club members at a rest stop.  actually kind of funny recognizing people 1.5 hrs away walking across the parking lot with the "marathon walk".  Anyways he was planning his first at 3:45 and after talking to him before figured he was stretching, he ran with 3:40 group through mile 20 and then finished 4:17 (which had to be a monster crash) but he was still happy to get his first 

If he could be happy, why can't I? 

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Nice report and way to tough it out - if others runners could SEE that your hammie was cramped up, it must have been pretty bad.

A week ago I saw a guy's calf muscle lock up about a tenth of a mile from the marathon finish, and he stopped like a fighter jet making a tailhook landing on a carrier. If you can see it like that, it IS really bad. Way to fight through it Buckeye.

What I am choosing to do is look at the total body of work.  When I look at it that way it's been a fine year.  I hope that is the way you look at it, too.  Don't let one day of misfortune cloud your vision.

Congrats on the PR.

The Tater is wise. With a little time I'm pretty sure you'll see your PR effort in a more positive light. Congrats!

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Marathon Maniac #957

Robert – how on earth do you remember what happened every mile?  It’s always somewhat of a blur to me...

I agree that the expo was kind of disappointing (where were all the free samples and what’s with no gear bag, not even a plastic drawstring?), and the gear bag drop before the race was a mess.  I didn’t realize that it would be such a nightmare to get to it, and ended up getting my bag checked with only moments to spare, and had to squeeze into the crowd at the very back, thereby assuring me of miles of weaving in and out. 

Tough day for you (even tougher than, well, the usual friggin’ tough that marathons already are), but you got a very nice PR, and a carrot to lead you into doing another one of these ridiculous events in the spring....

I’m sorry that we didn’t get to meet up this time.  Hopefully there will be another race where we cross paths.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Robert – how on earth do you remember what happened every mile?  It’s always somewhat of a blur to me...

I agree that the expo was kind of disappointing (where were all the free samples and what’s with no gear bag, not even a plastic drawstring?), and the gear bag drop before the race was a mess.  I didn’t realize that it would be such a nightmare to get to it, and ended up getting my bag checked with only moments to spare, and had to squeeze into the crowd at the very back, thereby assuring me of miles of weaving in and out. 

Tough day for you (even tougher than, well, the usual friggin’ tough that marathons already are), but you got a very nice PR, and a carrot to lead you into doing another one of these ridiculous events in the spring....

I’m sorry that we didn’t get to meet up this time.  Hopefully there will be another race where we cross paths.

Holly,

Thanks and glad you and Bill got your BQ's ... I am sure we will run same races soon.  Maybe the Air Force in Dayton??

I learned my lesson last year at the bag drop, after basically having to throw my bag onto truck from 50 feet away.  Akron Marathon (Which by the way is 100% better run marathon than columbus) ran the gear track by fedex and even though I dropped late took like 10 seconds and no problems.

Sorry you didn't get the 345 ... I predict a redemption race -- and I really I liked your final post. 

BTW -- A 40-ft hook shot in full stride -- not too shabby!

Congrats on the PR!

2012= under-goaled

Sorry you didn't get the 345 ... I predict a redemption race --

Must confess ... 1 day after swearing "never again" ... have been looking at December Marathons to get that last 2009 race goal ... Would have to Starve myself to get Weight Goal

Leading contender based on todays surfing is Rocket City - 12/13 flat and gives 2 months.  Other contenders would be 12/5 Memphis but only week after week long family vacation over thanksgiving or Dallas White Rock which seems a littlle too Pricey.

Might I suggest -- Dec 13th ... big elevation drop ... southwest flys there ... just saying

http://www.tucsonmarathon.com/site3.aspx

2012= under-goaled