It's a mental thing.. (Read 880 times)

Double IPA Please!

At least I think it is. Looking at my log, I certainly see small improvements on my times without really trying or doing any real speedwork. Intervals here and there with some cruises thrown in. However, I'm starting to get frustrated as it seems my runs all fall within the same paces. Do I need to make a bigger effort of pushing myself more? Okay, on my run yesterday I picked up my pace and felt fine doing it- no hard effort but certainly had to remind myself to pick it up. Have I just fallen into a pattern of running the same pace? Should I have one or two runs a week where I push myself harder, not hard hard, but harder than what I run now? I know I can do it and I certainly don't feel run down or tired after my runs. I know the majority of my runs should be easy..I can comfortably do intervals with a 9:15 pace without feeling like I'm gasping for air( which also leads me to..should my pace for intervals be faster since I don't feel too terribly taxed ), so should I use that as a gauge for knowing what my potential is? Perhaps I'm making much ado about nothing. I was very excited today because my run was almost 20seconds faster than some of my other easy runs. OR Do I just continue to run and my pace will eventually get faster without having to think about moving faster? Does that make sense? I know what I mean to say but am having hard time putting it into words..

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Scout7

Your pace will naturally get faster, yes, especially if you're a newer runner. Ultimately, it will depend on your goals. If you're only interested in going out and putting in some miles for fitness, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're interested in racing, and trying to find what sort of time you might be able to do, then you might want to look into mixing things up more. The best idea of current potential is a race. Go find one and do it. That should give you an idea of what you're currently able to run.

The Greatest of All Time

I just quickly looked at your log and here is something I immediately noticed: In December you ran a long run of 5 miles at 13:19 pace. In March you ran a long run of 8.9 miles at 11:47 pace. That's only 90 days and a HUGE improvement. Just be patient. As Scout wrote your pace will naturally get faster and I just cited proof. IMHO new runners (<1 year) shouldn't worry about any speedwork, intervals, tempo runs, etc. just continue to build your aerobic base and you will gain tons of speed as you become more fit. relax! year)="" shouldn't="" worry="" about="" any="" speedwork,="" intervals,="" tempo="" runs,="" etc.="" just="" continue="" to="" build="" your="" aerobic="" base="" and="" you="" will="" gain="" tons="" of="" speed="" as="" you="" become="" more="" fit.=""></1 year) shouldn't worry about any speedwork, intervals, tempo runs, etc. just continue to build your aerobic base and you will gain tons of speed as you become more fit. relax!>
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Oh Mighty Wing

That is a HUGE increase!!!!! You really will get faster! Try a race! I was training for a 10K in the fall (race was december) and I went from 11's to 10's, but on race day I averaged a 10:01 pace and I never ran that fast! Now my normal runs are in the low 10's high 9's... so you will get faster. I also agree though that sometimes you have to remind yourself to pick it up a little. Some days if I have a lot of my mind I will zone out and when I wake back up i'll realize i'm half a step from walking... so you might want to try keeping an eye on that, but otherwise I say just go with the flow!

Double IPA Please!

Hi ya'll and thanks- I know this..patience grasshopper. I do have a race scheduled for 4/5..It is a 10miler. My log here only goes back to December..but I have been training seriously since August and running off and on since my early 20's. I do see that I am getting better..I guess I just needed someone else to tell me I am. Thanks..Patience..patience..

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Kimmie

nothing really new to add but just to reiterate what others have already said... patience... It's hard but definitely worth it. Just curious... what race are you running in April?
                Looking at your increase in mileage this month I can say you will definately be see seom faster times soon. Since you are running more miles there is no need to increase the pace of your easy runs. I run most of my easy runs at 9:00 per mile pace and I run 6:40 per mile in 5k races. It could be your times are not getting faster in training because you are running so many more miles now that you are tired. Maybe keep the miles the same or drop down for a few weeks and see if you get some energy back. As someone said enter a race and you will be pleased to have other people to use as pace setters. Run the 1st third of a race at a comfortable pace.
                  Plain and simple, you are getting faster because you are running more. The higher mileage is increasing your endurance which means you can run faster with the same amount of effort. You are still a new runner and as long as you maintain your mileage, this trend will continue through this year and probably next year as well before you start to plateau. At that point you'll need to add more speed work to continue to get faster. The majority of your runs should be at an easy, relaxed pace. Your goal now is to build your base and get into the mental habit of running on a regular basis which you seem to be doing very well. The challenge will be to maintain it year after year. Don't do as make the common new runner mistake and let your impatience get the best of you. Allowing the speed come at it's own rate will give your body time to adapt with much less chance of injury. Keep your runs easy and your increases minimal at least for this first year, your legs will thank you for it. Tom

Double IPA Please!

nothing really new to add but just to reiterate what others have already said... patience... It's hard but definitely worth it. Just curious... what race are you running in April?
                    Hi there..I am running a race local to me here in PA.called The Fools Run.