Marathon tomorrow not fit (Read 338 times)

So I stupidly signed up for a marathon tomorrow and I am not fit.  I got caught up in the Boston drama and really want to participate next year.  So I have to run sub 3:05.  My training has been 40 mpw for the last 4 weeks with a long run of 8.  Before that 20 miles per week.

I have already spent the $100 for the Oz marathon in KS.

I am going to go slow to begin and hang on.

Any advice?  Anyone done this before

Gator eye

Tear it up.

Let us know how you feel the next day.

FSBD

Losing $100 is better than losing $100 and hurting yourself.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Feeling the growl again

So I stupidly signed up for a marathon tomorrow and I am not fit.  I got caught up in the Boston drama and really want to participate next year. 

Haha, ditto.  Except I signed up yesterday.

Good luck!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Well your PR's say you are stupid fast.  I don't think there are any other options other than a) don't run or b) go out at the slowest pace that will qualify you and hope for the best.  Some people can run a marathon on very few miles, I'm not one of them but maybe you are.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Why is it sideways?

You'll be fine. Just click 7:00s and eat and drink plenty.

If you are relatively injury resistant in your running history, go for it. If you really feel you aren't there at some point in the race, then back off to easy pace or a bit slower and just make it a long run. Have a good time, don't stress about the time. Your milage will probably be more this week if you run it than not.

I ran under 3:05 without having more than a few weeks more than 40mpw last year, you're faster than me PR-wise, and your PRs aren't any older than mine......

Maniac

Go out and run a 20-miler today to see what kind of shape you're in....

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

SheCan

I think you'll probably qualify for Boston if you start out really fast!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Mysecondnewname

So I stupidly signed up for a marathon tomorrow and I am not fit.  I got caught up in the Boston drama and really want to participate next year.  So I have to run sub 3:05.  My training has been 40 mpw for the last 4 weeks with a long run of 8.  Before that 20 miles per week.

I have already spent the $100 for the Oz marathon in KS.

I am going to go slow to begin and hang on.

Any advice?  Anyone done this before

I've run this one and the course it is not that hard of a course so you might surprise yourself.  However, when it's cold, there is generally a big, chilly headwind about the last 3 miles, so be ready.  (Gonna feel like 28 at the start and pretty cold throughout the race).  Also, because it rained recently, there may be some pools of standing water on the trail portions of the course and under the bridges--they can get pretty slippery underneath as the clay soil just sits there.

Based on previous years' results, your potential 3:05 is likely going to put you in the top 20 of this race.  As I recall, the winner is usually around 2:45 to 2:50 unless some ringers show up.

What's your race number--I'll look for you when I'm on my long run that morning.

Good luck!

joescott

I hate to be the naysayer, especially over against the sages (e.g., Jeff and spaniel), but I predict a fail, my friend.....

Ran Boston on Monday with a (young!) friend of mine, recent collegiate runner, 15:03 5k guy.  He ran with me for 17 miles at about 6:40-6:45 and then blew up and ran 3:08.....  I guess if there is a moral to this story, maybe stick with what Jeff said and do NOT run faster than 7-flats, and maybe you'll be OK.

Good luck!  And if you are willing to post your race number here, I will look for you and cheer you on as I should be at the mile 25 aid station.  :-)

Modified to add:  I should have said that my running partner, like you, was really light on miles and long runs coming into the race Monday.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

doctorjen

I don't know what possessed me to read this, but since I'm running the same race tomorrow it's good to know about the possibility of puddles and headwinds!

Thanks for the replies, I could not make it down.  I was in the ER until midnight with my two year old.  I live in Nebraska so the drive would have made it a sleepless night.  We were planning on leaving at 5pm and staying at my sister in laws house in Olathe.

So looking for another marathon

Village people

Thanks for the replies, I could not make it down.  I was in the ER until midnight with my two year old.  I live in Nebraska so the drive would have made it a sleepless night.  We were planning on leaving at 5pm and staying at my sister in laws house in Olathe.

So looking for another marathon

Oh no. I hope everything is okay.

Mysecondnewname

Oh no. I hope everything is okay.

1+    Best wishes to your 2 year old and you.

(Was really nice out there today--cold, but no wind at all--they had guys out there early AM sweeping water and debris off the trail, which was great.  Weirdly, someone also apparently scheduled another race right along part of the marathon route--bad timing indeed).