Trail running query re: mosquitos (Read 641 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wondering how many it would take to carry me off.  Would some partially drain me of blood, first, then carry me off?  I think ours have been training with Trent's Flying Monkeys.

I honestly have never seen so many mosquitos in my life as I did during this afternoon's trail run.  They were swarming...I didn't even know mosquitos could swarm.  I thought they were flies until Heather and I stopped briefly (that was very short-lived) and they were ON us in seconds...*shudders*  It has been so wet here and we have a lot of marshy areas...perfect haven for the little blood-suckers.

Gotta get my hands on some DEET before the trail relay in 2 weeks.  BTW, does anyone know what bug repellant does to the Garmin?  I have a feeling it could eat at the plastic.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, don't stop. Duh.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Mosquitos.  Bah.

Try dealing with bees and hornets.  DAMN.

Once in Hawai'i, I got chased by a big swarm of bees.  And I swear that they made the shape of a giant arrow, just like in the cartoons.

Just for fun, here's The Mosquitos.  They visited Gilligan's Island.

The Mosquitos sing "He's a Loser"

The names of the Mosquitos: Bingo, Bango, Bongo, and Irving.

an amazing likeness

I use some stuff called "Ben's" which is something like 95% DEET.  Doesn't seem to be dissolving the back or straps of my Forerunner in any way (yet).

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

an amazing likeness

I absolutely, 100% knew that.  That is one of about 11 trivia items of the most obscure nature I have committed to memory for use in emergency triva situations.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mosquitos.  Bah.

Try dealing with bees and hornets.  DAMN.

Once in Hawai'i, I got chased by a big swarm of bees.  And I swear that they made the shape of a giant arrow, just like in the cartoons.

Just for fun, here's The Mosquitos.  They visited Gilligan's Island.

The Mosquitos sing "He's a Loser"

Yeah...me no likey bees, either.  

Gilligan's Island...can't believe how much I loved that as a kid. 

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Anytime they turn on (or are simply listening to) the radio on Gilligan's Island, it is playing one of two things: 1) the news or 2) the exact same guitar instrumental.

It goes something like this:

Da doodly doodly doot dah doot doot

Doodly doodly doot dah doot doot

Boom chicka chicka chicka boom chick chicka chicka

Da doodly doodly doot dah doot doot

Doodly doodly doot dah doot doot

Apparently, it's ye olde Mosquitos who cut that record, because that's the first song we see them playing when the helicopter drops them off on the island.

And there is NO GOOD REASON why my brain holds that information but can't remember useful stuff.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You should have water just before you start on the bugs -- you could start with 8oz of water before a 10g snack of bugs, and adjust and test from there. You should have at least 8oz of light electrolyte replenishing drink with about 20g of mosquitoes after any hour or longer workout, supplemented with whey protein.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

we made DEET in chem lab. it smelled bad.
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

we drank DEET in chem lab. We smelled bad.

It is a wonder any of you passed the class...

xor

we made DEET in chem lab. it smelled bad.

Hello.  My name is Perry.

It is a wonder any of you passed the class...

indeed. we were also taught how to synthesize heroin. unfortunately, we didn't get to practice that one in lab.

SRL - Hi Perry. didn't know you and AP were twins too.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah, but he beat me up and took all my pink shirts. I've never recovered from the trauma.

Prince of Fatness

Horseflies are much worse than mosquitos. One of those little shits got me on the neck last year.  Damn that hurt.

Not at it at all. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Horseflies are much worse than mosquitos. One of those little shits got me on the neck last year.  Damn that hurt.

They aren't so little, either.  I am SO glad that they don't seem to be a problem here.  When I was a pre-teen I used to go to a church camp up in the Upper Peninsula of MI for a week each Summer.  Horseflies were BAD there.  They'd land on our heads to bite us while swimming.  We could duck under the water for a bit, but they would be hovering above waiting for us to come up for air.  Bastards.

~ Sarah Kay