Vibrams settles lawsuit - benefit claims not supported by science (Read 276 times)

Kalsarikännit

My hair is shinier and my husband no longer suffers from ring-around-the-collar since I have switched to "barefoot" running.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

I want my $$ back.  I've been a-googlin' and can't seem to find out how.  Is it too late to join a class action lawsuit after it's been settled?  I'm betting it is :-(

They have not implemented the remediation yet.  There will be a website and mechanism to recoup your money.  In the articles you will see that you can claim up to 2 pairs without any proof of purchase.  If they feel fraud is occurring they can ask for it.  So the whole thing is kind of a farse.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SillyC

They have not implemented the remediation yet.  There will be a website and mechanism to recoup your money.  In the articles you will see that you can claim up to 2 pairs without any proof of purchase.  If they feel fraud is occurring they can ask for it.  So the whole thing is kind of a farse.

I got my five fingers for free, and I certainly haven't suffered any "damage" on account of using them.  I'm not sure if I'm still entitled to money if I never paid for mine?  But I almost want to claim the cash just to keep the lawyers from getting any extra.

SillyC

Just talked to my husband....  he's going to get his money and then use the money to buy another pair of five fingers.

Feeling the growl again

I got my five fingers for free, and I certainly haven't suffered any "damage" on account of using them.  I'm not sure if I'm still entitled to money if I never paid for mine?  But I almost want to claim the cash just to keep the lawyers from getting any extra.

You can probably claim regardless of whether you actually bought them, unless they decide to check (unlikely).  But I can guarantee the lawyers will get theirs regardless. Sad

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

bpangie

I'm surprised no one has sued Nike. I'm sure more people were injured trying to run faster or jump higher than trying to run 'barefoot.'

Whatever happened to personal responsibility and due diligence? I'd love to know the 'transition period' for people who get injured running in minimal shoes...

I also love that excess proceeds go to the American Heart Association - because the information they put out is 100% truth backed and guaranteed by non-refutable research....

It's a sham. A waste of our legal systems resources.

Feeling the growl again

I also love that excess proceeds go to the American Heart Association - because the information they put out is 100% truth backed and guaranteed by non-refutable research....

By definition, no scientific results are "non-refutable".  Science is constantly evolving and results up for challenge and re-evaluation.

I just ran 9.5 miles in my Bikila's, man I love Vibram's!!!

Take my advice: Pull down you're pants and slide on the ice

SillyC

I'm surprised no one has sued Nike. I'm sure more people were injured trying to run faster or jump higher than trying to run 'barefoot.'

That's what my husband and I were talking about.  Neither one of us can recall Vibram making claims that were any wilder than any other shoe company.   We seem to recall the FiveFingers being marketed with substantially less BS than most running shoes.

Fanilow

My hair is shinier and my husband no longer suffers from ring-around-the-collar since I have switched to "barefoot" running.

It reduced the appearance of my thigh cheese by 72%.

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

bpangie

By definition, no scientific results are "non-refutable".  Science is constantly evolving and results up for challenge and re-evaluation.

Which was kind of my point. I once heard that a good statician can support both sides of an argument with the same numbers....

Marylander

I plan to buy a half pint of milk with the money I get from this. I'll probably have to throw in an extra quarter or so to be able to afford the whole half pint though.

Prince of Fatness

Whatever happened to personal responsibility and due diligence?

It's always someone else's fault.  Cripes.  Everyone knows that.

Not at it at all. 

Class action lawsuits always make me angry.

+1 for me as well.

There are 108 pages of lawyers in my Phone book.  108!     --- Vibrams claimed things that weren't true.  But... isn't that true for most every new product you see, and every infomercial on TV Saturday morning?   So another class action lawsuit, where Lawyers and Attorneys will collectively get rich for their paperwork drill.

Well, there less manufacturing jobs out there to be had, so I suppose society in the 21st century will create ever more white collar jobs by litigating itself to death....

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I can vouch for no ponytail!  And a handsome dashing man he is too!