How Long does it take you to 'GET INTO' a Run ? (Read 1135 times)

the reason i don't like to start off slow is because i warm up faster, plus i find if i start off slow, my whole run is slower  

I know what you mean --- it's like your body sets an expectation level based on the first mile.  On days I'm not purposely going totally easy, I'm sometimes afraid that a slow warmup mile will slow down the rest of the run.

Advice that I got and have followed to enable me to do a warmup mile and then a good tempo run is to stop, stretch for a few seconds and reset my watch after the warmup before starting the tempo run.  I think it gets easier too --- sometimes now I don't bother with that.  One thing I always do is to consciously think about how slow I'm going during a warmup mile and how boring it is.  Then when I start going faster, it's like "Finally!".

I generally walk for a bit before I start to run, 4-5 mins or so, then over that first KM of running get up to the speed where I want to be.
      Runner.AW

Usually I jog a half mile in full sweats, regardless of temperature, before a run to help me get my body temperature higher and heart beating. Then I do stretches, usually for about 10 minutes, and then run...I don't count the warmup half mile in my mileage, btw. I feel that I run best when I'm warmed up and loose, so that's my routine.
          It usually takes me 2 miles or so to get into my run.  However to really feel like I am into the swing of things it takes me until I am half way through the run, whether that be 4.5 miles or 15 miles

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Doc, my tooth hurts

If I get up and run first thing in the morning, I feel like it takes me about 5 miles.  If I run in the afternoon it probably takes about 2 miles.  This is all dependent on temperature and everything too.  When it's cold sometimes I feel like I never 'get into' a run
              Wow.  This makes me feel better.  When I'm doing 5-6 miles and it takes 3 to get "warmed up", it's kind of discouraging.

I don't feel like such a slug now.  (Except relative to whoever said they feel good at mile 18.  Thanks... )

TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Agrimberg

goal:15:15 3mi 4:28 mi

How long/much mileage until I feel running is effortless on a good easy/long steady day. I have almost 400miles since Jan not including fall to the beginning  of winter. Most of my runs right now even just an easy 5 miles never really feel effortless, yet some of the other guys who have been running for a bit longer time than me feel great and effortless, I still keep up.. I don't know.
                  After about mile 3 I get really into it and about 4.5-5.5 I have a slug moment but then I kick on my music and take off. For the long runs the following is true for me:

However to really feel like I am into the swing of things it takes me until I am half way through the run, whether that be 4.5 miles or 15 miles

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

2 miles, +/- a half mile.  Almost always.  When it takes more than 3 miles I know I'm in for a LONG run...sometimes quite literally (the worst are when those 10+ milers take more than 6 miles to warm-up...or else when I never do find my groove...just had a run like that yesterday.  Yuck).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I generally warm-up and get into it at ~5-6 miles.
                      theyapper

On the road again...

Typically about 2 miles.

Last night's run - never.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

The shirtless wonder

Usually 4-6 miles.  It's almost always just about the half way point when I feel loosened up and feel like I'm running smooth.  ...Then again on long runs I tend to feel ready about 6 miles in even if the run is 18 miles.

When it's cold out it takes much longer.  When it's warm out things are generally much better.