Summer Marathons (Read 2220 times)

melinhk

I've been trying to find a summer (july/august) marathon but am having no luck. The sites I"m familiar with don't have anything listed that far in advance. Does anyone know of any in the PA/Ohio area, late July, August or early Sept? Thanks!

Prince of Fatness

You can try here .... http://www.runningintheusa.com/ They have an advanced search feature. I am planning to run the Lehigh Valley Health Network Marathon, which is September 13. It might be hard to find something earlier than that.

Not at it at all. 

jeffdonahue

You can try here .... http://www.runningintheusa.com/ They have an advanced search feature. I am planning to run the Lehigh Valley Health Network Marathon, which is September 13. It might be hard to find something earlier than that.
        Also try http://www.marathonguide.com- they have a map of the USA with dots for all the marathons in each state. I think it is relatively comprehensive, though I make no guarantees.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Marathonguide also has a listing by date. This is very useful.
          jeffdonahue

Marathonguide also has a listing by date. This is very useful.
            I just did a quick scan through and didnt see anything in OH or PA for July or August but there is the Erie marathon in PA on 9/13 Air Force marathon in OH on 9/19
            mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Other than the two Jeff mentioned, the only other one I found realtively close was called the Self-Transendence Marathon. In Nyack. New York. On a Tuesday. http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/us/races/marathon_rockland
              DoppleBock

Closest is the 3 in MI in July / Aug ... Although I think the Grand Isle Trail Marathon closes quickly

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I am not sure when the Grand Island Marathon closes, but I ran it in 2005 and it was amazing. The field is relatively small, so you may run parts of it alone. I ran almost all of it alone, but I loved the time alone to take in the view. For a trail marathon, it is pretty fast. I actually ran faster there than I did at Boston the same year. It is mostly single track but not a lot of tough hills. There is a short section along the beach that can be a little tough and it is possible to get turned in the wrong direction for a few seconds, but overall an easy course to run and follow. You will run around the perimeter of the island and get some amazing views of the lake and cliffs. The cool breezes off Lake Superior will keep the temperatures in the 50s or 60s and it is almost entirely in the shade. This is my favorite marathon. MTA: Running a marathon on the dirt didn't tear up my legs at all compared to running on concrete and asphault.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

wbertha

Anyone know if the Air Force marathon in OH on 9/19 fills up quickly. Am hoping to run the half and DH is really looking forward to it as he is an Air Force Vet. wbertha
                    xor

Anyone know if the Air Force marathon in OH on 9/19 fills up quickly. Am hoping to run the half and DH is really looking forward to it as he is an Air Force Vet. wbertha
                      No it doesn't. Certainly not quickly.

#artbydmcbride

srlopez, I can't make any of your race reports for 2009 open up. Cry

Runners run

xor

srlopez, I can't make any of your race reports for 2009 open up. Cry
                          Because I haven't published any yet, alas. I've learned that I have a limited amount of 'writing words' in my brain/fingers that I can use each week, and I've been working on something else. Once I've used up my weekly words, it's too hard to get motivated to write more. Anyway, depending on what happens at monday's doctor appointment, I should be able to get one or two out next week. Keep checking! Eat local products! Buy war bonds!

I registered for it last year at the last possible moment and they still had plenty of slots. I made it into town late and registered in the last hour of the expo. It was a nice course and pretty well ran race. My normal finish time is 3:25-3:45 and I was able to nail a 3:19. Congestion when the full and halfers merge back around mile 21 or so (?).

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett