concerned about starting too fast (Read 1352 times)

Kind of have a goal of running a sub 5 minute mile this summer, maybe too much? I did time myself a 5:50 yesterday so I feel like it could be possible.

There's only one way to find out, so have fun with your quest.  Hardest thing to figure out is the threshold between pain/fatigue and injury, so err on the side of caution if you're listening to your body and hearing a steady stream of complaints.  You've found a great resource in RA, and it sounds like you're off to a great start.

And big congrats on kicking the butts, you'll never regret it.  That shit's just plain nasty.

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Well I'm not that young Tom, 32...

Oh.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've noticed that most of the 5k guys around here that can't get themselves to run more than 30 mpw have a hard time breaking 18.

And there's some of us who run plenty more than 30mpw and stil can't break 18 Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Why is it sideways?

And there's some of us who run plenty more than 30mpw and stil can't break 18 Smile

This is true as well, but it has no relation to what I said.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This is true as well, but it has no relation to what I said.

Sure it does -- it have a lovely orthogonal relationship Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.